Stop Smoking Thread - Page 5 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 100 Old 04-21-2011, 6:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Re: Stop Smoking Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piz View Post
It's almost 10 years since I stopped my 2-pack-a-day habit. I did it cold turkey. I had cravings for maybe the first 2 years or so, but they gradually diminished. Will power is probably key, but I would suggest a lifestyle change, ie, health/fitness interests, etc. It will help immensely. Someone mentioned early that they easily reignited their habit after 18 years. I believe this would be easy to do for those of us that have smoked previously, as there is a "well worn path" in our brains, or trained receptors that are on standby, to help this along.
I still consider myself a smoker for this reason, but one that chooses not to smoke.
Very true the gym has helped me big time through it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 100 Old 04-21-2011, 8:23 AM

Reputation Power: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piz View Post
It's almost 10 years since I stopped my 2-pack-a-day habit. I did it cold turkey. I had cravings for maybe the first 2 years or so, but they gradually diminished. Will power is probably key, but I would suggest a lifestyle change, ie, health/fitness interests, etc. It will help immensely. Someone mentioned early that they easily reignited their habit after 18 years. I believe this would be easy to do for those of us that have smoked previously, as there is a "well worn path" in our brains, or trained receptors that are on standby, to help this along.
I still consider myself a smoker for this reason, but one that chooses not to smoke.
This is probably correct, although I do not consider myself to be a smoker now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spina220 View Post
Some people have told me they haven't smoked in 10+ years and still crave it, but I am really disgusted by it at this point and just can't see myself going back now. My habit was maybe 5-10 cigs a day which wasn't too crazy but there are those little moments when I want it, but they are definitly not strong enough to make me actually pick one up and light it.....I would be too upset with myself.
When I thought I should give up, it was impossible.

When I truly wanted to give up, it was easy.
post #63 of 100 Old 04-24-2011, 6:38 AM

Reputation Power: 12

well here's my story on quitting. everyone in my family smokes( i'm the only one who doesn't ) . quit cold turkey 15 years ago , was a 1 1/2- 2 pack a day smoker. watched my dad die from what started a lung cancer then to the brain/spine. funny thing is as my family was crying at the hospital they would take" smoke" breaks . can't stand the smell, no cravings. just addicted to a cold beer now . good luck to all.

zero gravity windscreen. reverse / gp shift/ -1 down front sprocket/ speedo drd corrector. bazzaz z-bomb yosh case/stem nut/ oil fill/hotbodies under tail, rideit blk. long levers , sato street hooks, intergrated smoke tail lite lens, HRC solo cowl,yosh carbon/carbon R-77 pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 100 Old 06-28-2011, 4:47 PM

Reputation Power: 33

Well I started for all the wrong reasons, had nothing else to do when I hung out with friends when they were on the smoking sessions which was all the time. I also thought that guys who smoked looked cool and maybe girls like smokers better. So it started with 1-2 a day and eventually it became a habit. I'd have headaches if I don't get those 2 sticks each day. One day a friend burst my bubble and I realized that I won't have better chances with girls with a smoldering stick between my fingers, so I quit.

I still hang out with my friends who smoke though, but I just take a few cold ones. No smoking for me now.

Good luck to everyone who's trying to quit.
post #65 of 100 Old 07-02-2011, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 231

I stopped smoking completely on the 22nd December 2010. Ok I was quite ill this year but, I've stopped. And I have come to realise that a LOT of my smoking was through boredom. Glad I'm past it now though.

Good luck to all still trying to kick what essentially a horrible habit.

Do, or do not, there is no try !
The mind is a funny thing

Jazzy's Blog
post #66 of 100 Old 07-16-2011, 4:17 AM

Reputation Power: 52

This is a great thread topic.

My story is I smoked for 30+ years, quit for two, and I've just passed the one year mark again.

When I was smoking, and really wishing I had better will power so I could kick the habit, our [Australian] television was saturated with truly nasty advertisements to make people quit. They showed stuff like amputations from gangrene, squeezing the tar out of a pair of lungs, the plaque out of an artery...you get the picture. These ads were based on guilt, trying to make us feel so bad about ourselves that we would want to quit.

They used to really piss me off because that is not what smokers need to hear. We already feel guilty for the damage we are doing to our bodies, and the risk we are taking with our families. those ads just made me feel more worthless, and more likely to keep smoking.

Well last year they introduced a whole new set of ads which accentuate the positives. Instead of telling us how we are killing ourselves by smoking, these ads tell us how we will heal when we quit. Things like, in two days the nictoine has left our system, in one week your sense of taste and smell improves, in one year you have halved your risk of cardiac disease, in ten years your lungs have repaired themselves [don't take that as a quote, I don't remember the stats exactly]. Stuff like that is what people need to hear.

I used Champix to quit...nasty side effects but works well for people with 0 will power.

For everyone who is trying to give up I wish you well, you are not alone. My one piece of advice would be to use every available source of assistance you can [your GP, "quit line" in Australian, your friends etc] and don't be too hard on yourself if you slip.

Good luck to you my friend.
post #67 of 100 Old 07-26-2011, 3:49 AM

Rep ! Good story and good post fooffa

Jazzy's Blog
post #68 of 100 Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 AM

Reputation Power: 25

How many of you have been using the gym to help quit? It seems to be a good tool.
post #69 of 100 Old 06-20-2012, 9:50 PM

Reputation Power: 23

I quit smoking 2 years ago and at the first couple months I lost 15 pounds...
Just felt so much better and breathed so much easier that had I much more energy and a boost of metabolism, I guess you could say. After awhile food started tasting alot better and I eventually gained it back and then some. But overall I'd say that triumphing over cigarettes was one of my greatest achievements in life!!

Never felt better!!

2000 CBR929RR 03' 954 Engine, sold.....
2007 Yamaha R1- Project Rebuild
post #70 of 100 Old 06-20-2012, 10:07 PM

Reputation Power: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu4ic1000 View Post
How many of you have been using the gym to help quit? It seems to be a good tool.
last time I quit was when I was playing hockey. I could see cardio in the gym being a good reason. I only lift though. Never really made a difference
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.glazebrook View Post
I quit smoking 2 years ago and at the first couple months I lost 15 pounds...
Just felt so much better and breathed so much easier that had I much more energy and a boost of metabolism, I guess you could say. After awhile food started tasting alot better and I eventually gained it back and then some. But overall I'd say that triumphing over cigarettes was one of my greatest achievements in life!!

Never felt better!!
lose weight? Damn it. I'm under-weight as it is
post #71 of 100 Old 06-21-2012, 6:05 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Hey Brandon, the flip side for some people is the obvious loss of appetite when you smoke. You aren't starving yourself, but you are deffinitely not getting what you need to recover and gain as much muscle mass as you would off cigarettes. I'm friends with a guy (another rider) who was in great shape, smoking aside, and then he had heart surgery.. He is soo much thinner. Probably lost 25lbs of muscle mass in a few short months. He is really struggling to get it back at a year as he has not quit smoking. I used to weigh 210lbs and was in incredible shape and then I came across something really vicious. I had a nasal, throat and stomach virus.. losing blood through my nose and mouth for about a week and a half straight dropped me down to 188lbs. Never got back up to 210lbs but i'm 197-199 depending on the day but now I do more running so I'm at goal weight I guess. Took me about 2 months.
post #72 of 100 Old 07-01-2012, 6:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 43

Well folks...I stopped on the 13th December last year....and now I'm a right miserable bastard. Put on 7kilos in weight too, so I'm not only a miserable bastard, I'm a fat, miserable bastard.
post #73 of 100 Old 08-27-2012, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
Well folks...I stopped on the 13th December last year....and now I'm a right miserable bastard. Put on 7kilos in weight too, so I'm not only a miserable bastard, I'm a fat, miserable bastard.
You need to do more shagging to keep your mind off the food

Jazzy's Blog
post #74 of 100 Old 09-04-2012, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
You need to do more shagging to keep your mind off the food
Chance would be a fine thing mate! With 'her indoors' I might get a 'mercy shag' twice a year...if I'm lucky.
post #75 of 100 Old 09-04-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
Chance would be a fine thing mate! With 'her indoors' I might get a 'mercy shag' twice a year...if I'm lucky.
LMFAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 'Mercy shag'

Jazzy's Blog

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page