Not removing my hat during a football game - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 11-16-2008, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Not removing my hat during a football game

I went to the Packers/Bears game today. COLD COLD COLD!!! I had a skullcap and hoodie on. The national anthem started and i didnt take my hat off. A older gentlemen behind me hit me on the shoulder and told me to take it off. I refused. I didnt really realize how much "of an issue" it is to people. I didnt realize there is editque for hats, i mean, its a hat!

On the drive home my friend and I got into a argument as to why i didnt. The reasons i said were 1. Its cold! 2. Its like a sardine can, cant put your hands above your head, 3. its a hat! He says i hate my country because of it, tho i took up collections around to give to the 911 widows. When i called him and told him what was going on on 911, when went back to sleep.

I just did some research as to why men do (but women dont) have to take there hats off in many difference scenarios.

My big qustion is what difference does it make if i do or dont? I am no more or less patriotic or an american cuz i didnt do it (which normally I do) because of the terms listed above. I started to but stopped cuz i couldnt move and it was almost over.

I can praise america While wearing a hat, its just fabric. I dont disrespect them by not taking it off because it is an atrical of clothing.

It will be harsh but what say you?

Life is Good, Life is Great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 11-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Re: Not removing my hat during a football game

Well, it is a sign of respect, but since most of the people of America voted for Obama and he feels the need not to display the American flag on his clothing and didn't even want the flag on his plane, you did nothing wrong. Look at him here:
snopes.com: Barack Obama and the National Anthem

If someone gives you grief, ask who they voted for. if they voted for Obama, tell them to shut the f*ck up.
post #3 of 47 Old 11-17-2008, 3:43 AM

Reputation Power: 21

Does seem to be an american thing.
He in Australia when they play the national anthem at the cricket Id say hat removers are in the minority. And its not that we arent patriotic or care about the country - its probably more because of our laid back style and a bit of "its only a hat".

I dont see the big deal.
Then again I think its strange to play the national anthem at a sporting event unless you are playing against another country!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 11-17-2008, 6:51 AM
DUX

Reputation Power: 21

You can make any argument you want, but by doing so you lumped yourself in with that A-hole basketball player who was goofing around during the national anthem and said something to the effect of "I don't celebrate that SH#t" when called on it. He was too stupid to use even use the right words.

It's simply a sign of respect. You have absolutely no idea about the sacrifices that were made to keep that flag flying above you at the game. I've been in the mil for 10yrs and I can't even begin to comprehend what some have gone through.

Or...put it this way: Someone your age or younger was probably killed within the last week fighting for the country and ideals that that flag and anthem represent. It's ultimately your choice, but a couple moments of your time before that game started is a small request to honor that person.

Ask yourself.....Once you were asked to take it off, did you really keep it on b/c of the cold or did you do it to be belligerent to the person who asked you to do so?

You would have survived the couple of minutes without the hat on......next time take it off.

Last edited by DUX; 11-17-2008 at 7:01 AM.
post #5 of 47 Old 11-17-2008, 10:54 AM

Reputation Power: 12

+1 to DUX

Donnyballgame

Work Hard, Play Hard.
post #6 of 47 Old 11-17-2008, 11:06 AM

Reputation Power: 162

DUX, this was a great post. Rep!!

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici"
post #7 of 47 Old 11-17-2008, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

I didnt take it off because i dont beleive it makes any difference in the world. Nor did i understand the resoning as to why. Why the hat? Why not my shirt or shoes or gloves etc. I will do it from now on (which i normally have my hand over my heart cuz i dont wear hats) to respect the fallen.

Someone just explain to me Why the hat?

post #8 of 47 Old 11-17-2008, 12:12 PM

Reputation Power: 38

Send a message via AIM to WyoJames Send a message via MSN to WyoJames

to DUX

stegen....it's just a respect thing, and if you can't accept that, just move to Canada
post #9 of 47 Old 11-17-2008, 1:21 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Stegen, you have much to learn. There was a time when men removed their hats, whether entering a house or when the anthem was played. They also used to stand up when a women entered a room, and held out chairs for them when sitting down. Sadly, these courtesies (and many others) are vanishing with your generation, and it's my generation who's at fault for letting that happen...

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #10 of 47 Old 11-17-2008, 1:47 PM

Reputation Power: 12

I get the strangest looks when I hold the door open for a lady while entering or exiting a store. Courtious gestures are a big surprise to quite a few folks.

Donnyballgame

Work Hard, Play Hard.
post #11 of 47 Old 11-17-2008, 1:48 PM Thread Starter

I knew about the standing up when a woman entered a room or pulling out a chair, chivalry. i just didnt know about the hat thing.

post #12 of 47 Old 11-17-2008, 1:52 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
Stegen, you have much to learn. There was a time when men removed their hats, whether entering a house or when the anthem was played. They also used to stand up when a women entered a room, and held out chairs for them when sitting down. Sadly, these courtesies (and many others) are vanishing with your generation, and it's my generation who's at fault for letting that happen...
you beat me to it.. i'm only 26 and i still follow most of these courtesies most of the time.. i won't wear a hat while i'm in a restaurant, never during our national anthem.. (all the sports players don't wear their helmets for this reason) and i was raised that you didn't wear hats in the house.. it's all out of respect.. do as you wish, but i would have tapped you on the shoulder too!
post #13 of 47 Old 11-17-2008, 2:03 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnyballgame View Post
I get the strangest looks when I hold the door open for a lady while entering or exiting a store. Courtious gestures are a big surprise to quite a few folks.
I don't get strange looks, and I do it all the time. What I do get is great big smiles.
Stegen, the respect is for those who layed their lives down for YOU. The flag is only the symbol and the anthem is only the song. But it's the time to reflect upon such things.
I'm as liberal as they come. Take your friggin' hat off next time!

Ride Red
post #14 of 47 Old 11-17-2008, 2:08 PM

Reputation Power: 162

Actually, it's fun to do the right things. You would be surprised how many women look for these guestures and appreciate them.

As for the hat thingy, just remove it to show respect even if it is cold. How long does the anthem take? A couple minutes?

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici"
post #15 of 47 Old 11-17-2008, 2:09 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegen View Post
I went to the Packers/Bears game today. COLD COLD COLD!!! I had a skullcap and hoodie on. The national anthem started and i didnt take my hat off. A older gentlemen behind me hit me on the shoulder and told me to take it off. I refused. I didnt really realize how much "of an issue" it is to people. I didnt realize there is editque for hats, i mean, its a hat!

On the drive home my friend and I got into a argument as to why i didnt. The reasons i said were 1. Its cold! 2. Its like a sardine can, cant put your hands above your head, 3. its a hat! He says i hate my country because of it, tho i took up collections around to give to the 911 widows. When i called him and told him what was going on on 911, when went back to sleep.

I just did some research as to why men do (but women dont) have to take there hats off in many difference scenarios.

My big qustion is what difference does it make if i do or dont? I am no more or less patriotic or an american cuz i didnt do it (which normally I do) because of the terms listed above. I started to but stopped cuz i couldnt move and it was almost over.

I can praise america While wearing a hat, its just fabric. I dont disrespect them by not taking it off because it is an atrical of clothing.

It will be harsh but what say you?
what the hell does this mean?

yes its a hat, its not that f-ing hard to take it off.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page