Defending Your Home - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 11-17-2008, 5:43 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Defending Your Home

They ran a story here on the news today with regards to home invasions and how much force a home owner can take under the current law in Australia. As it stands if you kill an intruder you get charged with murder, I'm not sure how I would react in the situation but from where I sit this looks like once again the law is looking after the criminals and not the average bloke on the street. I would imagine in the US most people have a special friend that sleeps close by for such occasions right? I think a person has the right to defend their home first and ask questions later. You break into another persons home you get what what you get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 11-17-2008, 5:51 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Defending Your Home

Agreed. I am protecting my family first and worrying about consequences later. If you break into my home, I believe it is my right to make sure you do not harm my family. I carry (legally)... and it is for protection for my family. If you are breaking into my home am I supposed to wait to see if you are just stealing, or are you raping or killing my children. And that is why you will be catching a slug in the belly.
post #3 of 33 Old 11-17-2008, 6:42 PM

a friend of mine, a sheriff, told me if the intruder is half out side drag him in. he also said dead men tell no tales. I pray this is a situation I am never in but definitely advice to heed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 11-17-2008, 8:18 PM

Reputation Power: 290

Send a message via MSN to setanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerfan View Post
a friend of mine, a sheriff, told me if the intruder is half out side drag him in. he also said dead men tell no tales. I pray this is a situation I am never in but definitely advice to heed.
So instead of scaring a petty burgler away your LE person gives u advice on how to kill them, wtf
does that make him, he sounds like a killer just looking to find an excuse to kill someone

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #5 of 33 Old 11-17-2008, 8:44 PM

Reputation Power: 11

The last thing that a burgular would want to do is break into my house. He wouldn't get much more than a free trip to meet his maker. I would go to jail if that's what it would take to protect my family.
post #6 of 33 Old 11-17-2008, 8:44 PM

In the US you can generally match force with force. If someone invades your home and you feel your life/your family is on danger AND you have no alternative (ie, a way out) lethal force is allowable. I've also had cops I know advise that the invader should be in the house when the police arrive. If you have an out, take it and let the police do their job. Belongings aren't worth a life, yours or the criminals.
post #7 of 33 Old 11-17-2008, 8:52 PM

I do not agree Setana. If a guy is comming in the door to my house with a handgun in his hand and (if I had any) my children are in the house he is not going to go any further then that door. I am in no instance going to wait around and try to ask him what his intensions are or yell STOP hoping he does not kill me first and then continue on to my family. The way I see it if you step into my house with a handgun in your hand (or other deadly weapon) the second you step one foot inside your destiny is mine to do with as I please. I much rather find out afterwards the gun was fake, unloaded or whatever then to wait and get shot or hurt allowing him to hurt my family.
I find it so funny how some people argue against using deadly force against an intruder or attacker but if harm comes to their family they could have prevented they blame everyone BUT themselves. They blame the gun companys or the police or society or the criminals parents or the education system. You never hear them say "I was wrong. I should have protected my family. Because I was a sissy loser my family got killed"
post #8 of 33 Old 11-17-2008, 8:54 PM

Reputation Power: 37

In the US there is the Castle Doctrine.

Castle Doctrine in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
post #9 of 33 Old 11-17-2008, 8:59 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Yes it sort of makes you wonder why the law in Australia is skewed in favour of the bad guys. Not only that, my wife insists that scary noises at night are the mans job and if I don't attend to them, well it would not be good for me.
post #10 of 33 Old 11-17-2008, 9:04 PM

I am a bit confused, if a guy brakes into your home with a gun, runs into your daughters room, shoots your wife on the way and then tries to rape your daughter you shoot him you get charged with murder? The law there cannot be that stupid. What are you supposed to do with an armed attacker corners you in your home and threatens to kill you? Jump out a 3rd story window on to concrete?
post #11 of 33 Old 11-17-2008, 9:12 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Teenage 'burglar' critical after citizen's arrest in Marrickville | National News | News.com.au Is the story that kicked it all off. Talkback TV and radio are specualting about the outcome as usual. But yes you can get charged with murder.
post #12 of 33 Old 11-17-2008, 9:14 PM

Im with doom; if someone is breaking into my house they arent leaving, and Im not stopping them to ask them what they are there for.
post #13 of 33 Old 11-17-2008, 9:33 PM

OK, I guess if you live in Aus the plan is blow the guyss head clean off and then throw the body outside. When the cops show up say "beats me officer I guess he pissed someone off... have a good night"

As for me here in the U.S. I am going for the shoot first shoot second shoot third and if there is any time left maybe ask a question or two method.
post #14 of 33 Old 11-17-2008, 10:59 PM

Some states have laws where they can defend their property with deadly force so fire away but in most if you shoot someone who hasn't gotten into your home but was attempting to...well there will be a hot up prosecutor looking to make a name for themselves and will attack you with things like "but he didn't enter your home did he?" it will be a long trial and you may or may not be in jail after. My best advice is if time permits gather everyone in one room and defend from there. If the intruder approaches then defend, call 911 be put on hold, if he leaves,.. good if not when operater comes on and says police, fire, or ambulance i guess you can decide if he's breathing or not. Just one more thing to think about...some criminals don't come armed, they arm themselves after breaking in with your kitchen knife so they don't get arrested with armed robbery. If everything is nice and smoth they put it back then its just burglary, and who says the law protects the innocent
post #15 of 33 Old 11-17-2008, 11:17 PM

Just a side note on home defense...make a plan. I own guns. my rifles and shotguns are all chambered for the same caliber.My handguns uses the same magazines and bullets. They're in rooms I that I'm in the most, well hidden. Everyone knows how to use them just in case and they know the escape plan and where to meet. cost of guns and ammo ..expensive, cost of saving your loved ones...PRICELESS. better to have a plan and adjust then to run around losing your head

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page