Free Range Kids... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-30-2009, 1:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 144

Send a message via MSN to LoopyLee Send a message via Skype™ to LoopyLee
Free Range Kids...

I came across a blog last night which had me hooked, about raising free range kids, ie., kids who are allowed out on their own to the park, to the shops, to the local play areas, to sports clubs and the like ON THEIR OWN..

I was wondering how many of the parents on here are raising free range kids, or are people too scared to let their kids out of their sight these days. Do you take your kids everywhere or do you let them go off and do their own thing?

Or are you too scared to let your kids out of your sight because of all the news stories we hear about every day?

If you are a parent who lets their kids out on their own, have you ever had problems with other people who do not agree with the way you are raising your kids?

For the record.. I'm raising free range kids! My two walk to school on their own, go to the park on their own, go to the shops in town on their own to spend their pocket money etc... As far as I'm concerned I'm a parent, showing them how to deal with life and teaching them to discover things for themselves, NOT A PRISON WARDEN!

How about the rest of you?

Free Range Kids Blog - Here

What you leave behind is not what is engraved on stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

Blade Rider

Last edited by LoopyLee; 03-30-2009 at 2:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-30-2009, 2:28 PM

Reputation Power: 21

Send a message via MSN to Jetpilot07
Re: Free Range Kids...

always deppends on the situation......

type of friends....
trouble at school.....
bad grades.....
not doing the chores.....
woke you too early on sunday.....

i always take variables into affect

DO YOUR DUTY IN ALL THINGS, YOU CANNOT DO MORE, YOU SHOULD NEVER WISH TO DO LESS!

GENERAL ROBERT E. LEE
post #3 of 12 Old 03-30-2009, 11:20 PM

I don't have kids so I'm not qualified to have an opinion but I do. Watching the caravan of vehicles leaving my neighborhood in the morning to drive these kids to school 1/3 of a mile up the road, passing 2 crossing guards, and returning home is beyond ridiculous. Even worse, coming home in the afternoon, I see every one of my neighbor's cars lined up on the side of the road by the school, killing the grass, waiting for their kids to walk halfway home literally to the car for the jaunt home. Ever heard of carpooling? I could get every one of them in the back of my pick up for that short ride.

I was raised free range and given responsibility at a young age and didn't abuse it and learned tons from the opportunity. I guess I'm old and was never "entitled" to being spoon fed like the kids of today and guess what people, I turned out ok as a responsible adult.

I grew up in a small town, small enough to ride my bike to school, baseball practice, orthodontist appointments and downtown to cruise around. Sure we had that child molester in town everyone always warned us about but we didn't structure our life around avoiding him. The paranoia that lives in parents minds is beyond comprehensible to those of us that actually think for ourselves.....

The kids of today will never grow up and think for themselves as long as we keep putting them on a pedastal and worshiping their entitled little minds. They will continue to be "in charge" as long as parents allow it. I'm sure every parent wants what's best for their kids and wants a better life than they had but honestly, let them grow up, make some mistakes, punish them accordingly, and put the spoon down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-31-2009, 2:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpilot07 View Post
i always take variables into affect
Yes, there are always variables.. In our house if their bedrooms are a mess they aren't allowed out to play until its tidied up.. Yup.. shock horror, my kids have to clean their own rooms (none of their friends have to, as my daughter keeps reminding me but kids have to learn things like that )

They get grounded if they misbehave, waking us too early on a weekend is a big no-no, and if they are hungry on the weekends when they wake up they know where the breakfast cereal and bread are, and get their own breakfast..

But if rooms are tidy, chores have been done, etc., they out they go and chances are during the summer holidays the only time I see them is when they are hungry!

My kids love it..

Mind you they are the only kids in our close allowed to go to the park a few minutes away on their own..

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkeatr View Post
I don't have kids so I'm not qualified to have an opinion but I do.
Smkeatr, I know what you mean about the car to school thing.. We don't have a car so that is a factor for us, but before the kids school moved to new premises I used to be able to walk the kids to school faster than those who drove because of the traffic in the morning and that was a 20 minute walk!

Both of my neighbours, who's kids go to the school literally just up the road from my kids school, drive them there in the morning! It's absolutely stupid and I can walk the distance in the same time it takes them to drive it!! On the plus side, because of all the walking and running around while they are out I have two slim, fit and healthy kids

We have kids of all ages in our close, and during the warmer weather the little ones are allowed out to play as well, as the parents know the bigger kids, like mine, will keep an eye on them and play with them. It's great watching them all in the summer..

I definately wasn't raised as free range I wasn't even allowed out into the street to play, the only kids I had to play with when I was growing up were my brother and sisters, in our back garden. I was a teenager before I was allowed anywhere on my own

When I had my kids I knew I definately didn't want mine growing up like I did. I hated not being able to go to my friends houses except for birthday parties when my mum took me.. I hated only having my brothers and sisters to play with.. I hated only being allowed to play in the garden...

When I was finally allowed out on my own, at 13, my parents never used to see me all day from breakfast until I went in for tea.. I was out and about enjoying my freedom and getting up to the kinds of things kids did..

By being able to go out on their own, or together, my kids are picking on so much more life experiences than I was ever allowed to do, which I feel will do them the world of good

What you leave behind is not what is engraved on stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

Blade Rider

post #5 of 12 Old 03-31-2009, 7:33 AM

i honestly think most problems with kids these days are the lack of discipline....

parents shoving their kids in front of the game system to keep from dealing with them.

for example as you said, when their 35 are you gonna go clean their room for them? H*ll NO, so i say train them well now.

DO YOUR DUTY IN ALL THINGS, YOU CANNOT DO MORE, YOU SHOULD NEVER WISH TO DO LESS!

GENERAL ROBERT E. LEE
post #6 of 12 Old 03-31-2009, 8:31 AM

Reputation Power: 290

Send a message via MSN to setanta

I reared two free range kids as well but as I live in the countryside and surrounded by small towns and villages its easier to relax. Im with Loopy here on the ways her kids are being brought up, I did much the same with mine.
I was being a parent prepairing them for adulthood and independance, not their private butler and lacky.

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #7 of 12 Old 04-01-2009, 3:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
i honestly think most problems with kids these days are the lack of discipline....
Disipline these days is definately an issue.. The really weird thing is that my Mum thinks I'm too hard on my kids I have no idea why.. There are house rules and the kids have to abide by them, it's no different really than when I was a kid. I knew I had to do certain things and was in the poop if I didn't..

Quote:
parents shoving their kids in front of the game system to keep from dealing with them.
We confiscate the kids TV's if their rooms are a mess and they haven't tidied them up after being told to several times.. Well actually we take the fuses out so the TV's won't work, which confuses the kids no end I know I'm an evil mother but no TV means no games or anything. Once the rooms are tidy the fuses go back in

Quote:
for example as you said, when their 35 are you gonna go clean their room for them? H*ll NO, so i say train them well now.
It's funny you should say that.. My 36 year old brother still lives at home and is practically waited on hand and foot but he always was as a kid.

My mum always wanted a boy and he didn't have to anything really as a kid and as such has grown up expecting my mum to do it all for him. She's always complaining about him now, about how he never helps, never cleans up after himself, etc., but you try telling her is because of the way he was raised and she won't listen. As far as she is concerned it's my brother at fault, not the way he was raised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setanta View Post
I reared two free range kids as well but as I live in the countryside and surrounded by small towns and villages its easier to relax. Im with Loopy here on the ways her kids are being brought up, I did much the same with mine.
I was being a parent prepairing them for adulthood and independance, not their private butler and lacky.
The kids were a little nervous when they first started to go to school on their own, and I must admit I did follow them secretly the first few times to make sure they could cope with traffic, road crossings, etc, but they were fine. I have no worries at all about them going to school and the park now.

Kids need to be able to go out and be just kids, to climb trees, to get mucky, to roll in the dirt, to fall off their bikes doing innappropriate things.. It's all part of growing up as far as I'm concerned.

On the weekends now I rarely see Connor. He gets up, has breakfast, makes sure his room is tidy and then he's off to his mates houses for the day. The next time I see him is tea time..

Blade Rider

post #8 of 12 Old 04-01-2009, 1:13 PM

Reputation Power: 17

MMMMM! Free ranged kids they sound delicious

They're probably more expensive because of the amount of land it takes to raise them on though.

I let my 12 year old take trips on his bike to my parents house or the market which are about about 2 miles away. I just have him call me(cell phone) when he gets there to confirm he is alright. He has a black belt in Taekwondo also so I'm not too worried as he can handle his own.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-02-2009, 3:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassTurd View Post
MMMMM! Free ranged kids they sound delicious

They're probably more expensive because of the amount of land it takes to raise them on though.
Ha! That was my original thought when I first read the title, but I was worried about making such a terrible, tasteless, disgusting and probably illegal comment. Thanks for taking my place.

That having been said .... I grew up free range, and my kids did, too, for the first 6-1/2 and 5 years of their lives. It was only when we moved to Jakarta that they lost their freedom. Driven everywhere, always pre-arranged, though come to think of it we did let them go out the gate by themselves to go roller-blading, or with our gardener to buy treats and bottle-rockets at the local warungs (kiosks, I guess, is the best way to describe them).

In our case, they traded a free range life for a wider life experience than their free range friends who stayed home, and I think in their case it worked even better. Conclusion: Free Range is one of several good paths.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-02-2009, 7:12 AM

Reputation Power: 290

Send a message via MSN to setanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbzorro View Post

Conclusion: Free Range is one of several good paths.
Like everything else in life, it has its place. Enviroment teaches kids how to look after themselves too, as you can see from footage of war torn cities, they kids are still out playing in the streets. In bad neighbour hoods kids learn quickly what is safe and what is not, its a natural survival instinct.
That instinct can be weakened by to much molly cuddling and there the danger arises.

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #11 of 12 Old 04-03-2009, 10:33 AM

Reputation Power: 162

I have no kids but still would like to give some interesting observations - at least I think they are.

1) There is a tribe in Africa that lives on top of a very high cliff. Kids play by themselves and near the cliff as well. There are no reported injuries from kids falling down the cliff and even getting killed. Kids are not under adult supervision but use the right judgment when they play.

2) I just recently visited my kindergarten. The teachers are following a very interesting path. Kids are allowed to go in groups of 4 downstairs to play in the gym on their own. However, there are rules attached to it. They have an egg timer which is set to go off after 15 minutes. If the kids want more time they have to go to the teacher who will reset the timer for them. Other rules are - nobody gets hurt, nobody cries, and everything is put away properly.
According to the teachers, the system works and rules are followed.

In other words, I believe adults have to set the rules but also need to give the kids more freedom to use these rules to develop their own judgment. I believe sometimes adults don't give kids the appropriate respect and belittle them too much.

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici"
post #12 of 12 Old 04-03-2009, 10:34 AM

nice

GENERAL ROBERT E. LEE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page