A cure for cancer... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-31-2009, 7:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

A cure for cancer...

Cancer touches us all in one way or another directly or indirectly. I heard a report the other week on ovarian cancer and a new treatment that might give some hope for a lot of people.

Scientists manipulate immune system to fight cancer - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

The thing that concerns me with these new treatments is that often they seem to vanish shortly after they break into the news, there is so much money being made from the "cancer" industry it makes you wonder if "they" actually want to find a cure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-31-2009, 8:00 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 231

Re: A cure for cancer...

Exactly what I was thinking as soon as I read the first few lines of the link story. This type of help towards cancer problems of many different types has been in and out of the press for as long as I can remember.
It seems almost nowadays that instead of us getting the 'WOW' they have something new that can actually help to "oh another one of those'.
The only positive to all of this, is that everytime they do bring something out, they are getting closer and closer to the heart of the problem. But, the different strains of cancerous cells are also evolving at the same time, if not quicker. Hope is always a good thing to have for the best part of us whom are not scientists.

Do, or do not, there is no try !
The mind is a funny thing

Jazzy's Blog
post #3 of 12 Old 03-31-2009, 8:51 PM

Reputation Power: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by .OrgOwner View Post
The thing that concerns me with these new treatments is that often they seem to vanish shortly after they break into the news, there is so much money being made from the "cancer" industry it makes you wonder if "they" actually want to find a cure.
Of cause you do - you dont make money by finding the cure and burying it.

And there are so many forms of cancer that its not like you are going to put yourselves out of business.

As well as cures there is also prevention.
A vaccine has been developed to stop a virus that has been shown to be a cause of a form of cervical cancer.
This is something that went from a news story like this quite a few years ago to its actually in widespread use at the moment (and making some company money)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-01-2009, 2:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

I believe that progress towards cures for many cancers is being well supported by the Terry Fox Foundation. I participate in the annual Terry Fox run wherever I happen to be, worldwide. We even have one here in the UAE.

Take a look at The Terry Fox Foundation - La Fondation Terry Fox
post #5 of 12 Old 04-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 13

You could be forgiven for thinking it's a bit like the "cure for oil" - All the alternative ideas get buried while the money is being made.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 AM

Reputation Power: 38

Send a message via AIM to WyoJames Send a message via MSN to WyoJames

The show "South Park" developed a pretty good cure for cancer
post #7 of 12 Old 04-02-2009, 3:00 PM

Cancer is not one disease, but a cluster of diseases with a similar etiology at their core. Many, many cancers have gone from being lethal scourges to treatable illnesses. A vaccine has been developed that will prevent most types of cervical cancer, while chronic myelogenous leukemia can be cured with a pill. Radiation and chemotherapy have also made huge strides, and are far more benign than they used to be. We are indeed winning the "war against cancer", but it is a hard problem and will take a long time. Many, many scientists work long hours for very little pay to try and effect cures and treatments.

You all aren't helping any either. How many of you still smoke?
post #8 of 12 Old 04-02-2009, 5:06 PM

Reputation Power: 15

My lovely lady has had 3 major ops for breast cancer and if it gives hope then its fine by me.We all know that we're not going to live for ever but when you're is told that you got 6 months to go it does focus the mind somewhat.How many on here could honestly deal with that and keep some form of perspective.For a lady,losing your hair is a masive life changing event(chemo)losing a breast is an even worse life changing event but your kids losing their mother is just the worst thing ever.
Sorry for being a bit over the top over this but balance needs to be applied.
I feel sure that its all to do with todays litigius society that more remedies have not been applied earlier and hope that the lawers dont ever suffer the same fate!!!

PS.she has never smoked,and until her 48th birthday was still running half marathons,had proper food and hardly ever drank boose.

Stay lucky guys..............
post #9 of 12 Old 04-02-2009, 5:17 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu748R View Post
My lovely lady has had 3 major ops for breast cancer and if it gives hope then its fine by me.We all know that we're not going to live for ever but when you're is told that you got 6 months to go it does focus the mind somewhat.How many on here could honestly deal with that and keep some form of perspective.For a lady,losing your hair is a masive life changing event(chemo)losing a breast is an even worse life changing event but your kids losing their mother is just the worst thing ever.
Sorry for being a bit over the top over this but balance needs to be applied.
I feel sure that its all to do with todays litigius society that more remedies have not been applied earlier and hope that the lawers dont ever suffer the same fate!!!

PS.she has never smoked,and until her 48th birthday was still running half marathons,had proper food and hardly ever drank boose.

Stay lucky guys..............
my sympathies here stu, goin through the exact same wi wifes younger sister, empethy all around buddy, take care.

cheers,
ron
post #10 of 12 Old 04-02-2009, 5:39 PM

Reputation Power: 144

Send a message via MSN to LoopyLee Send a message via Skype™ to LoopyLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingar View Post
A vaccine has been developed that will prevent most types of cervical cancer
Which hopefully will mean my daughter won't have the worry and repeat surgery I have had over the last three years because of abnormalities showing up in tests..

What you leave behind is not what is engraved on stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

Blade Rider

post #11 of 12 Old 04-03-2009, 7:54 AM

Reputation Power: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmorgan View Post
my sympathies here stu, goin through the exact same wi wifes younger sister, empethy all around buddy, take care.

cheers,
ron
Ron,

Thanks for your kind words and all the best with your wifes sister.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-03-2009, 10:45 AM

Send a message via MSN to Jetpilot07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmorgan View Post

cheers,
ron
never give up hope!!!!!!

DO YOUR DUTY IN ALL THINGS, YOU CANNOT DO MORE, YOU SHOULD NEVER WISH TO DO LESS!

GENERAL ROBERT E. LEE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page