Question for IT guys (Source Control Question) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-18-2003, 4:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Question for IT guys (Source Control Question)

I've been tasked to look into various source control tools and was wondering what you guys would recommend. We're currently using Star Team (5.2 I think) and, while it does the job, we're looking to see if there is anything better out there.

So, anyone got any info? IMO, the best answer is the one that has the most bang for the buck. I know some are open source (like CVS) but CVS is command line and not all of the people using the tool are going to be unix-knowledgable.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-18-2003, 4:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Re: Question for IT guys (Source Control Question)

We use PVCS, but I wouldn't really recommend it.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-18-2003, 4:16 PM

I only have experience w/ Visual Source Safe. Most of the time it works fine for what I need. I have never had code lost , but have been "clobbered" where I had something overwritten and had to manually merge old and new versions.

HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-18-2003, 4:38 PM Thread Starter

That was odd, everything got all messed up while I was trying to post a reply to this and, somehow, I ended up making a double post of the original thread and then that vanished, odd.

Anyway, Star Team has major issues with the merge function itself, takes two versions of a file and makes an unusable mess out of them. Other then that it seems okay (though leap frogging and certain branching seem to cause issues). It has a lot of features but we're at a place now where checking out other options is possible.

Not sure if we'll find anything better suited or, if we do, that we can convinve the powers to be to change to another program. I'm hoping that I can find something that is more robust, costs less, etc.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-18-2003, 5:10 PM
Fig

Check out ChangemanDS from Serena Software. We are using it almost universally from out PC platform to Mainframe. It seems to be extremely robust. I will admit, it's a bit complicated, but once you get used to the workings, it's pretty smooth. I have to give extreme kudos to their training also. I spent the first part of this week in their training class, and the instructor is an expert in the product. I had another class with him months ago, and he not only covered the materials, he took the time to experiment some scripting procedures with us. We all got something out of that.

While it might not be simple to use, you have to view that as an advantage. In our case, we had some complicated deployments for Java code from our developers on pc, to various boxes running aix, and it's working like a charm. Anyway, that's my suggestion.
Fig
post #6 of 8 Old 12-18-2003, 5:35 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Here's what I've used:

Rational ClearCase: Most powerful source control I've ever seen, but way to complex to administer. Really needs a full-time admin to be effective.

CVS: Good solid tool, easier to use when used in conjunction with a front-end tool like WinCVS, or integrated into the IDE (like Eclipse).

Source Safe: My personal choice these days as I predominately do C# development with VS.NET 2003, and it integrates very nicely into the IDE.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-19-2003, 1:27 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint
Here's what I've used:

Rational ClearCase: Most powerful source control I've ever seen, but way to complex to administer. Really needs a full-time admin to be effective.

CVS: Good solid tool, easier to use when used in conjunction with a front-end tool like WinCVS, or integrated into the IDE (like Eclipse).

Source Safe: My personal choice these days as I predominately do C# development with VS.NET 2003, and it integrates very nicely into the IDE.
we use Rational Clearcase here- it's very powerful indeed, you will not have any troubles using it once it's set up - but setting it up needs some very specific skills, I wouldnt' go far as to say it needs a full time admin, but definitely someone who knows they way around it enough, I've got I guess a medium level of skill with it, , I reckon it's a bloody good source control setup personally, apparently it's fairly expensive per seat though- another consideration.

I think Visual Source Safe is adequate for most situations though- it's more reasonably priced, but I cant' really comment in too much detail as I havent' got much experience with it.

CVS- not much experience with it either, but seems to work OK- and it's free.

good luck

Ben.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-19-2003, 8:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help! Guess now it's time for me to start researching these options. With my luck I'll end up in front of one of the VP's giving the presentation (I'm a coder), this task fell on me as part of a project management class (which was the last class in the 6-month program I just completed) and, with the class being over, somehow the task stuck with me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page