Speaking of RX-7 vs Corvette - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-19-2003, 8:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

Speaking of RX-7 vs Corvette

Why not combine the two?

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/

Not my cup of tea, but they're impressive little rides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-19-2003, 10:16 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Speaking of RX-7 vs Corvette

i heard the 7 is making a comeback in 05, should be interesting what they bring to the table
post #3 of 5 Old 12-19-2003, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 50

Yeah, it's been rumored for a while. It came out when people thought the RX-8 was a replacement. Should be a splendid machine, going by Mazda's trends lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-20-2003, 10:49 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Only if they can get the motors to hold together. I know the NA versions prior to the last gen were pretty solid but the turbo's had lots of apex seal issues. Mazda lost it ass here in the states on warrenty claims, most of which were motor related....

I will agree that the new version should be killer. They still produce them oversea's, just not importing them here.... I have a friend that just snagged a mint 94 with 31000 original miles. Has some worked done and he figures it's about 350hp to the wheels. Certainly flies. Great looking and very very well balanced. One of my fav's.....
post #5 of 5 Old 12-20-2003, 11:51 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Stuffing a V8 into a Mazda RX* has been done for years, as you all probably know.

IMPHO...

Opinion, right!?

I've always loved the Mazda RX* (* means any version for the hearing impaired). I've always had high hopes for the Wankel rotary engine. I mean, that engine just makes common sense!

The body style is just plain sexy. I don't agree with making a 4 seat sports car, but that's just my personal opinion. However, I'd buy it for the suicide rear doors just because...

However, back to engines. Since the rotary Wankel engine has not been developed to generate high torque at low rpm, and that efficient high horsepower is only generated at high rpm, this essentially makes the RX a track only car (just to illustrate a similarly meaningful analogy). In other words, for the continental USA typical driver, this car won't work.

This makes me understand why someone in the USA has always tried to stuff a big V8 into an RX since it initially was introduced.

The Honda S2000 is the same. Great looks, handling etc.,...but unless you wring its neck, it has the performance of a Yugo engine-wise.

Granted, European or Asian rodeways may require things that do not apply here. However, until something changes, the gearheads will always be trying to swap a big V8 into an RX.

Now, here's a Christmas wish...

Mazda develops a Wankel with 450 - 500 rwhp, at 1500 - 6000 rpm and sticks it into an RX*. Redesigned rear to allow tires wide enough to put the hp on the floor. Build quality to allow for turbo or supercharging without spiffing up the engine internals. 1/4 times in the 10s off the showroom floor. I'd buy it even if it was a 4 butter.

On a tangent, my current lust machine, based purely upon styling, is the Carrera GT. Check out my Gallery. No way I could afford this, but I just think it looks like your, and mine, dream (wet dream) girl. It probably does not have the performance figures in my previous paragraph, but I'll wager it performs just like your (wet dream) girl does.

Yes, I do lust over the Enzo, but like a Ducati, I cannot rationalize the cost/time maintenance to giggle factor ratio. Babe magnet??? Without a doubt, but my wife would do serious bodily damage, so that is not a factor with me.

Now back to your regularly scheduled motorcycle forum.

Official Racer Dude Guy, according to a neighborhood 6 year old.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page