Digital Cameras which to buy? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 12-22-2003, 3:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Digital Cameras which to buy?

I'm thinking of buying a digital camera for xmas. I'm new to the scene so I really don't know. I'm looking for something in the all round. I found the Cannon A60, A70 & A80 to be good as well as the Nikon CoolPix 2100 & 3100.

Some advice would be good because I'm going round & round in circles with this and really can't decide.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 12-22-2003, 6:49 AM

Re: Digital Cameras which to buy?

I have a Cannon powershot S30 that I'm very happy with. Guess it depends on your price range, but I'd get a S30 or S40 if you can afford it.

Shot taken with the S30 on the night setting, using a tripod.
Link
post #3 of 35 Old 12-22-2003, 7:07 AM

An action shot using the high speed setting and holding the camera in hand.
Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 12-22-2003, 7:55 AM

Olympus d510 off ebay for 100 bucks, I love it!
post #5 of 35 Old 12-22-2003, 9:16 AM
TAZ

Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens954
I'm thinking of buying a digital camera for xmas. I'm new to the scene so I really don't know. I'm looking for something in the all round. I found the Cannon A60, A70 & A80 to be good as well as the Nikon CoolPix 2100 & 3100.

Some advice would be good because I'm going round & round in circles with this and really can't decide.

Thanks
Just about any of the point-n-shoot cameras will take good daylight shots (landscapes, people, etc). Where the P&S models do poorly is in low light (when you have to use flash) and for action. The built-in flashes are generally good for subjects less than 20 feet away, and the proximity of the flash to the lens means "red-eye" is not just likely, but almost guaranteed. None of the models are particularly good for shooting action; the shutter lag makes it a difficult proposition.

However, unless you're willing to step up in price to ~$900, a P&S is your only option. At the minimum, you should consider a model that has at least a 3 megapixel sensor; a 2 mp model just won't capture the detail, and won't be good enough for 8x10 enlargements. Look for a model with a "hot shoe"; this feature allows you to attach a bigger, more powerful flash unit that will greatly improve your indoor photos, and reduce the likelihood of "red-eye". Finally, if you can do the research, look for a model with a very fast/short shutter lag. Shutter lag is the amount of time between full depression of the shutter release button and the actual actuation of the shutter, and is measured in miliseconds (the lower the number, the better). Unfortunately, not many of the P&S models have low shutter lag.

I like any of the Canon "G" series (G3, G4, G5). The higher end Nikon Coolpix models are good, too. If you find yourself getting up in the $700+ range, immediately stop and reconsider...or just go ahead and spring for a Canon Digital Rebel.

Good luck, and have fun with it!
post #6 of 35 Old 12-22-2003, 9:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ
Just about any of the point-n-shoot cameras will take good daylight shots (landscapes, people, etc). Where the P&S models do poorly is in low light (when you have to use flash) and for action. The built-in flashes are generally good for subjects less than 20 feet away, and the proximity of the flash to the lens means "red-eye" is not just likely, but almost guaranteed. None of the models are particularly good for shooting action; the shutter lag makes it a difficult proposition.

However, unless you're willing to step up in price to ~$900, a P&S is your only option. At the minimum, you should consider a model that has at least a 3 megapixel sensor; a 2 mp model just won't capture the detail, and won't be good enough for 8x10 enlargements. Look for a model with a "hot shoe"; this feature allows you to attach a bigger, more powerful flash unit that will greatly improve your indoor photos, and reduce the likelihood of "red-eye". Finally, if you can do the research, look for a model with a very fast/short shutter lag. Shutter lag is the amount of time between full depression of the shutter release button and the actual actuation of the shutter, and is measured in miliseconds (the lower the number, the better). Unfortunately, not many of the P&S models have low shutter lag.

I like any of the Canon "G" series (G3, G4, G5). The higher end Nikon Coolpix models are good, too. If you find yourself getting up in the $700+ range, immediately stop and reconsider...or just go ahead and spring for a Canon Digital Rebel.

Good luck, and have fun with it!
Taz,
Now that's more like it!
Info at your finger tips

Deciding is almost as bad as what oil to use, but let's not get into that discussion now.
post #7 of 35 Old 12-22-2003, 9:41 AM

Reputation Power: 28

Send a message via AIM to jetbdude

Check out that site for real good info and review on about all the camera you can think of. http://www.dcresource.com
post #8 of 35 Old 12-22-2003, 9:50 AM
TAZ

Glad to help.

Here's another site with detailed reviews:
http://www.dpreview.com
post #9 of 35 Old 12-22-2003, 10:08 AM

My favorite place for digital camera guidance, reviews and links to the best pricing:
cnet
post #10 of 35 Old 12-22-2003, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens954
Taz,
Now that's more like it!
Info at your finger tips

Deciding is almost as bad as what oil to use, but let's not get into that discussion now.
Yeah, Taz is always full of.... ...er... ..."information".
post #11 of 35 Old 12-22-2003, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

One thing about digi cameras that no one seems to ever want to admit or talk about is that whatever you buy today will be a pile of junk in a few months.
If you are using it as an all around picture taker, not something that you need the best possible pictures out of (if that were the case film cameras are better), get the least expensive model that suits your needs. Don't go talking yourself into spending more on some camera than you need.
For everyday use, you're not gonna see a whole lot of difference between a 3 and 4 megapixel camera. Spend ~$250 on a good 3 megapixel now and you can upgrade it to a 5 megapixel this summer when they are pennies on the dollar because of the new 8 megapixel units. You will spend less this way, and won't hardly notice the difference.
post #12 of 35 Old 12-22-2003, 10:39 AM
TAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConqSoft
Yeah, Taz is always full of.... ...er... ..."information".
Oh, yeah...and you're real helpful, yourself. Thanks for your contribution to the discussion.

For several years, I managed a retail camera store/photolab, and these days, I make a substantial "side income" doing professional digital photography. In this case, I'm more than qualified to speak to the question.

BDA116 has a good point; I recommended a 3mp camera as the minimum because I consider 2mp to be too low, and because you don't really "need" more than 3mp for "general photography". As with most technology, it's always the wiser decision - from a financial perspective - to buy "yesterday's" technology at today's prices. It is good advice to buy the least expensive model that will fit your needs. Don't get sucked in by specs that sound good, but won't provide you any benefit.
post #13 of 35 Old 12-22-2003, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ
For several years, I managed a retail camera store/photolab, and these days, I make a substantial "side income" doing professional digital photography. In this case, I'm more than qualified to speak to the question. ...
That how you funded the CBR1k?
post #14 of 35 Old 12-22-2003, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

A wealth of info here at .org

I seem to be drawn to the Canon A70. Still researching...
post #15 of 35 Old 12-22-2003, 11:23 AM

3 MB will definitely get you by, but there are some great deals to be had on 4 MB cameras as well. The quality of the image has always been my top priority, since each photo opportunity only comes around once, and I want to have high quality to be able to enlarge/crop, etc. For some people the priority may be simplicity/ease of use, cost, etc., but to me it's all about the image.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page