Which has more depreciation? Car or Music Instrument? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-22-2003, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Which has more depreciation? Car or Music Instrument?

[you music guys and gals probably already know this]

I bought a Taylor "Big Baby" Acoustic/Electric about a little less than 4 months ago for about $520 (not including taxes) including brand new hardshell case instead of gig bag. Well I started waffling on the purchase (should have gotten a full sized dreadnought) and saw a Fender CyberTwin 120Watt Combo amp I wanted ($1000.00). So I figure with my loyalty to this local shop I'll take a little of a beating and trade the rest towards the amp. When I call and they pull up my electronic receipt (verify model number and purchasing price), he say's he can give me......let's see......$150.00!

I'm like WTF? I just bought this and it's in perfect shape, I mean perfect!
He says - "if and only if it is in perfect shape I'll give you.....let's see....$200.00"

There is a long pause from my end of the phone...

He says, "well, just like an automobile...once you drive it off the lot..."

Loyalty? Yea, whatever. I expected about $325.00 to $400.00 and eat the rest. Oh well, looks like I'll try ebay or local papers or just keep it. I just don't understand - they could have given me $400 trade (resell the guitar for $450) plus receive an additional $600 from me towards the amp! Instead they know I'm going to be pissed and will purposely NOT buy the amp from them.

I already knew about trying to trade in "used" equipment not purchased from that shop but figured less than 13 weeks old and purchased from them? It's not as if I bought this guitar 3 years ago!!!!
[rant over]

Answer: Music Instrument
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-22-2003, 11:37 AM

Re: Which has more depreciation? Car or Music Instrument?

You, know with the Internet what a shop really has to offer is good treatment and service. They can't compete on prices. When they start losing business they blame it on all kinds of things, but never look at how they run their own shop. Businesses have to evolve or die, and this isn't good for them.

It sucks, but in the long run, they'll be the ones who pay for it.

Last edited by luvtolean; 12-22-2003 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spelin'
post #3 of 11 Old 12-22-2003, 11:39 AM

You should post the shop info here, so other people in the area can avoid them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-22-2003, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Yea, but some things have to be 'played' in person in order to judge. I will never buy a guitar without seeing, hearing, and playing it. I guess this just caught me off guard. Also, they didn't mention that I had a 30 day trial in case I wasn't satisfied. This is what I get for waffling

They're your buddy uptil the point where they have your sale <sucker!>
post #5 of 11 Old 12-22-2003, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConqSoft
You should post the shop info here, so other people in the area can avoid them.
I doubt if there's any locals around here but it was
Woody's Music on S.Water St in Kent.
Woody's has a decent repair, but their new/used prices are high/they don't negotiate/and apparently don't want their stuff back.

But, I think all dealers nowadays probably do the same - I don't know.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-22-2003, 12:01 PM

I haven't bought anything in a few years. Actually I have been thining of selling my stuff, but if I do want to buy anything I will avoid this place.

I usually just to to guitar center in Mayfield. They have been good to me in the past.

What kind of stuff do you play?

HD
post #7 of 11 Old 12-22-2003, 12:11 PM
dB

You mention loyalty to this shop...do you have a first name relationship with anyone there? If so, it might be worth a try to carry the guitar in there, talk to your contact and tell them your situation and your plan to buy the amp. Normally, they will only offer half or slightly less than half of the price at which they can resell the guitar...and I'm sure that's the best offer you'll get over the phone.

That said, if you end up selling it yourself, put up a webpage with some nice pics and good info about the guitar and post some ads on some of the free classifieds sites, like craigslist.org. I just sold an Am. Std. Strat this way and both myself and the buyer were happy with the deal...and we avoided all ebay ugliness.

BTW, I have a Peavey Classic 50 410 amp for sale (no webpage up yet).
post #8 of 11 Old 12-22-2003, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
You, know with the Internet what a shop really has to offer is good treatment and service. They can't compete on prices. When they start losing business they blame it on all kinds of things, but never look at how they run their own shop. Businesses have to evolve or die, and this isn't good for them.

It sucks, but in the long run, they'll be the ones who pay for it.
Yeah, I think most of us have seen this with motorcycle gear/accessories. I'm all for saving money, but if a local shop can come anywhere close on whatever I'm buying I will give them the business (assuming they're not jerks, then I'd spend more money somewhere else just to avoid giving them business).
There's two local shops I've bought drum gear from over the years; one of them is usually a little cheaper, but I prefer the other shop because the owner takes more time talking about the products and comparing them, etc. Good customer service is worth a few bucks.

Last edited by Serial Thriller; 12-22-2003 at 12:27 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-22-2003, 12:32 PM
TAZ

Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ

I know you're frustrated, and understandably so. Here's some thoughts from a (former) retailer's perspective: the cost for a used item in this price range should be about half of the eventual re-sale price on that item. So if that used guitar was priced/sold at $450, the most the shop would reasonably pay would be $225 - not far off what they offered you. Also, used gear can be a losing proposition if it's not managed well. It's a big risk for the retailer, as there's no guarantee that used items (which can't be purchased on credit or returned to the manufacturer/distributor) will ever be sold.

However, this particular item was recently purchased from that same shop, and there's a pending additional sale. Seems they're just shooting themselves in the foot by not going out of their way to help you. They'd surely still make some money on your used item, plus the profit on the amp. Perhaps they just have a strict policy about buying used gear.

I've got some bucks invested in music gear myself...
Kurzweil K2500X
Roland VS-880x
Behringer MX-2804
Alesis DM-5
Peavey stereo amp
Alesis effects
rack, mics, monitors, cords, stands, etc...

Sadly, I don't have time to use it all much these days...
post #10 of 11 Old 12-22-2003, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

dB - I know the repair guys (first name only) and a couple sales guys, again not really buddies or any thing just shoot the bs back and forth. I buy all my acoustic and electric strings there, some effects (stomp boxes), cords, use their repair service for minor adjustments, and I think I bought my brother a cheap guitar there. My loyalty statement was more directed to my most recent purchase.
Taz - yea, I know their price versus what we pay. But, that doesn't stop them from hanging the exact guitar back up and reselling it for twice what they paid. One music store (Lentines)was very honest and upfront to those same lines and recommended the internet selling method versus insulting me with an offer.
Some gear that I have currently;
Ibanez RG320
Ibanez RG270
Taylor Big Baby
Roland Blues Cube 60 Watt
Boss ME6 (multi-effects)
Boss stomp boxes
Morley (Steve Vai - Bad Horsie?) Wah pedal
MXR Phase90

HD - I just play for fun. I like to play early Van Halen, early Aerosmith, LedZep, Boston, ZZ Top, Ted Nugent, (trying to learn some SRV - that's going to take awhile LOL). Mostly classic rock, although I'm learning to 'scratch' to hip hop by turning my guitar upside down and pulling it back and forth over a metal railing.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-22-2003, 3:12 PM

you would probaly be better off selling it privately than trade in. I guess it really depends on the models desirability...I bought a Fender Am Std Strat in 89 for $400, sold it for $350 in 96 then paid $525 to buy the same guitar about a year ago since I regretted selling the first one. FWIW, my Strat and Les Paul I found on ebay.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page