COMCAST - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-25-2003, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 34

Re: COMCAST

Well, the day has come that my lease on life is forcibly changing, sorta.

I am moving in a few weeks to a new complex. The cable company in that area is Comcast (same as the town Im in). However where I presently am, they do not have anything other then Standard Cable TV. In the new town they have everything (digital cable, phone, Internet, etc.).

Where I am currently I have Verizon DSL (~768k) and Verizon for phone/LD as well, and Std. Cable just cause it comes with the pad. Where I am going, they no longer have Verizon DSL, which means Im going to screw myself with the value package I have through them (Veriations®).

To get to the point, I am wondering a few things:

1. Is the Comcast phone service any good? in terms of actual value. I see the price is less then VZ - but is the service really there? is it reliable? how does it integrate with current voice lines (ie: is it something IN your building or do they do copper from up the street?).

2. Is the internet reliable and or consistent? One thing I love about the DSL is that Im piped straight out to the www via my own pvc. I also have a reserved amount of bandwidth (most of the time) that I know is going to be there when I want to get on it. Is Comcasts also reliable? is it pretty decent with the speed (for the most part) or is that neighborhood sharing crap still on the up and up? Can I still put my outermost nic into promiscuous mode and watch everyone elses crap go by? (sorry I have security concerns )

3. They (CC) seems to offer a 'value package' but notice they don't list any pricing for it. They do offer some standard pricing for all the services, but when said and done, is like 130$ (50 std cable / 25-35std phone w/CID and Voicemail stuff / 57 internet). I was just wondering how MUCH of a savings there is to be had in their 'package plans' or if its really worth it to go that route and just get my internet through them (Phone through VZ) and wait on the cable till I get an HDtv and maybe watch something more then discovery/tlc all day and night?

Thanks for reading every chapter - look forward to any input you guys n gals may be havin

why put off today what you can wake up late and forget to do tomorrow.

GPS Discussion Forums - Don't ask, know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-26-2003, 12:09 AM

Reputation Power: 0

I can't comment on the phone services but the cable TV and the cable internet is both reliable and decent. Haven't had any problems with them (they just bought out AT&T as our provider a couple of months ago.)
post #3 of 7 Old 05-26-2003, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I can't comment on the service up there, but here Cox Cable and Time Warner Cable have been much faster and much more reliable than the Sprint DSL that is also available. Lots of people I know have made the switch to cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-26-2003, 2:02 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Go with cable! I have Cox here, and I can regularly hit 3mpbs on speedtests
post #5 of 7 Old 05-26-2003, 2:21 AM

I had comcast when I lived on the east coast and had no problems at all. I had the package deal, at the time it was just over 100 bucks for everything and they included all the phone goodies (call id, waiting, 3-way, forwarding etc). Great deal, I wish Time Warner had phone service where I live now. You still use the same phone lines in your house, they change over the lines outside so all the existing outlets work.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-26-2003, 12:00 PM

one of my friends just switched from dsl to cable and swears the cable is the fastest of the 2.
also - if you are worried about receiving digital signals for the tv, get satellite - you will find that having satellite and cable internet is cheaper than having the cable package and internet. plus cable tv here raised its rates some ungodly amount this year (that is when i switched)
post #7 of 7 Old 05-26-2003, 1:14 PM
Jay

At&t just got bought out by Comcast in my area, they are sneaky.
Constantly airing commercials talking about how great their service is and how they hope to create smooth transitions between ownership changes, yet without even a written notice, our monthly charges are increasing on the bills.

To answer your question, Everything works well and is always up and running, but it was that way with local At&t also.

But, I do not know about 'package' deals, because I have one 'grandfathered' with At&t, and Comcast is forced to honor it, but said they have no current deals of their own to offer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page