Any insight on forthcoming DLP sets? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-14-2004, 4:13 PM Thread Starter
TAZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ
Any insight on forthcoming DLP sets?

Several weeks back, there was a thread about DLP monitors. I'm still thinking about getting one, but have had it in my mind (thanks to that thread) that I might be better off waiting a few months, to see what other manufacturers step up with some entries in the DLP segment. Currently, Samsung is the only manufacturer that seems to have commercially available DLP sets.

Is there any pre-release product info out there? Anyone in the know have an idea about dates and estimated street prices?

The best deal I've seen so far is from - believe it or not - Gateway (who knows who makes the unit); they have a 56" DLP model, priced at $3499, and - for a limited time - it comes with a "free" DVD recorder.

Link: (if you care to have a gander)
http://products.gateway.com/products...dlp56tv&seg=hm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-14-2004, 4:21 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Any insight on forthcoming DLP sets?

Wait. my friend Bruce is supposed to go the once a year dealershow/conference soon. The last time I talked to him (Dec '03) he was getting ready to go. When he went last year, he immediately told me about the Samsung. He said last month that, that set is still the best set in regards to all around viewing. he mentioned another mfr but said the DVD quality was better than Samsung but watching normal TV it sucked ass. He (and I) is waiting on Toshiba to come to the market. I'll try and find something out, but I would wait for a little while longer. That Samsung's picture is unreal though.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-14-2004, 4:31 PM Thread Starter
TAZ

Thanks! I keep (half)-joking with my better half that I'm going to buy a HD-ready set if the Eagles make it to the Super Bowl. Earlier in the season, when that didn't seem so likely, she thought it was funny/cute. Now that there's only one team standing in the Birds' way, she's not laughing. Now she just gets pissed when I mention it (saying there's other stuff we need to spend $3500 on).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-17-2004, 12:12 PM

We've got the Samsumg 43" DLP and love it. I never could have imagined HD could look that good. And, it looks even better when the Eagles are on it.

It's only $$, right? Why not enjoy it while you can...ya never know what may happen tomorrow.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-18-2004, 2:46 AM

The new Samsung DLP's RPTV's looked very very good at CES. They are based on the new TI HD2+ chip with a 7-segment color wheel. My only gripe with the last generation of sets (which is still in the stores) is that you could see a lot of digital artifacts up close. Whether this is due to the the TV, the source, or the source not using the best connection (DVI) - I don't know. Also, the new set support HDCP connectors which is the next standard for encrypted digital video AND audio over one cable.

While, I'm at it, might as well tell you about the other technologies on display - since I got to see them all side by side. There were a lot of new plasma panels supporting full 1920x1080 (1080p) resolutions - good color reproduction but these will still probably be very expensive and plasma's do lose their brightness over time.

I also saw some large (50") direct view LCD panels - very crisp and high resolotion (also 1080p) but in direct comparison to other display technologies (i.e. plasma), LCD's render bright colors in a way that makes intensely colored images look ever so slighty cartooney. That is, the color depth seems to get crunched slightly and you get a dominance of the primary hue - makes the picture look a bit inorganic. Again, these panels will probably very expensive though cheaper than plasma.

Finally, the DLP RPTV - the Samsungs are still 720p (1280x720) - not as fine as the best LCD direct view or plasma panels in terms of absolute resolution but have great punchy color without the cartoon effect and the colors will not diminish over time. When the lamps dim, you replace them and you're back up to full brightness. The DLP RPTV's are also cheaper than the plasma and direct view LCD panels and will probably continue to drop as the panels get cheaper. There are 3 other panel factories coming on line this year, so if you're in the market for a panel, prices are expected to drop up to 40% by the end of this year.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-18-2004, 9:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

I'd love to help, but can't, we still haven't got these sets in Aus...

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #7 of 13 Old 01-18-2004, 2:11 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via AIM to AsianImage

DLPs are the hot item now a days. A lot of people are telling me this is actually the WORST time to buy a new TV. Everyone is touting the newest tech and everything is too new to know if its any good. The only thing is the tube TV is gone. Pretty evident when SONY discontinued making the TRINITRON. Well let me rephrase, its actually the worst time to buy an "all around" tv. If you watch mainly network TV then there is a "better" set...if you watch DVDs only then there is a better set...etc

I read Sony has a brand new 50" Grand Wega LCD RPTV that is supposed to be badddd assss..but yes the cost is pretty much up there. If you can at all wait until next year or even later to see the dust settle that is when the prices will not only drop but the technology that is the best will come up to.

this is the last bit of info I read I can share. If you all are running digital cable or direct tv, you do not REALLY need an HD TV. The government mandate and all channels have to be HD is crap, this govt mandate ONLY EFFECTS PEOPLE WATCHING UHF/VHF signals ie Rabbit Ears Antennae. If you have digital cable or sattelite you will continue getting your channels...not in HD of course, but you will be fine if it doesnt matter to you to watch the food network in HD.

I personally want my TV to kick ass watching movies. During the week I watch maybe a couple hours a night of regular TV. So if a set has awesome DVD playback but crappy "regular" TV playback it doesnt really matter to me.

No matter what its very hard to buy a tv nowadays,...you have to research and find one for you and your family's needs. Pretty much an all around set really doesnt exist right now. Each technology has a significant weakness. LCS, PLASMA etc etc. Happy Shopping!

"But you can take my word for it, your mother had it coming. When you grow up, if you still feel raw about it, I'll be waiting."

Black Mamba
post #8 of 13 Old 01-18-2004, 2:57 PM

I just came back from BestBuy (just bought TiVo) and compared a 55'' LCD to a 61" DLP, and I thought the DLP was grainy. To me the LCD seemed much more clear and sharp.

HD
post #9 of 13 Old 01-18-2004, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ
Thanks! I keep (half)-joking with my better half that I'm going to buy a HD-ready set if the Eagles make it to the Super Bowl. Earlier in the season, when that didn't seem so likely, she thought it was funny/cute. Now that there's only one team standing in the Birds' way, she's not laughing. Now she just gets pissed when I mention it (saying there's other stuff we need to spend $3500 on).
The wife has nothing to worry about now, does she?

Insignificant Member
post #10 of 13 Old 01-18-2004, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy-Dee
I just came back from BestBuy (just bought TiVo) and compared a 55'' LCD to a 61" DLP, and I thought the DLP was grainy. To me the LCD seemed much more clear and sharp.

HD
Factor in the brightness going away and the initial cost. The DLP screens will need a bulb swapout and they will be like new. The DLP sets are coming, they will rival/beat plasma and be a fraction of the cost. The technology is still very new.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-19-2004, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth23
Factor in the brightness going away and the initial cost. The DLP screens will need a bulb swapout and they will be like new. The DLP sets are coming, they will rival/beat plasma and be a fraction of the cost. The technology is still very new.
The LCD was cheaper to the tune of 700 bucks. Granted it was smaller also.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-21-2004, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
TAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy-Dee
The LCD was cheaper to the tune of 700 bucks. Granted it was smaller also.
However - to my understanding, LCD is just an inferior technology - if not particularly in picture quality (although with a good video source and cabling, I don't think there's any real difference in quality between LCD and DLP), then in longevity; LCD is susceptible to burn-in and reduced brightness over time.

And to continue the price discussion, when you compare sets with the same size screens, is DLP any more expensive than LCD?
post #13 of 13 Old 01-21-2004, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ
However - to my understanding, LCD is just an inferior technology - if not particularly in picture quality (although with a good video source and cabling, I don't think there's any real difference in quality between LCD and DLP), then in longevity; LCD is susceptible to burn-in and reduced brightness over time.

And to continue the price discussion, when you compare sets with the same size screens, is DLP any more expensive than LCD?
Keep in mind that different manufacturers have differing quality guidelines so pricing will depends upon the manufacturer of the unit. Sure you can find cheap LCD or plasma units. Besides price comparison, also see what else the unit includes. Some are "HD ready" when others are "HD upgradeable"...big difference. There's other technology that may or may not be included which will affect the unit price as well.

I considered the Sony LCD when shopping around because they appeared to have the nicest picture in the store. Good thing I did some reading up on them before purchasing. It seems that folks were having lost of issues with the LCD screens. I'd recommend documenting the models you like visually and then looking up info on them on the AVS forum. You'll learn lots there and hopefully it will help you make an educated decision as well as save you from future headaches.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page