Anyone Bought a Piece of Land and Built it For yourself? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-16-2004, 8:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Anyone Bought a Piece of Land and Built it For yourself?

I've started looking at buying land and developing it rather than a house in a subdivision. The areas I want to live in around here, it is seemingly within our price range to get something more than .5 acres out of the incorporated areas. A guy here at work told me about the county fees associated with it, and costs for things like drilling a well.

So, any of you out there ever done it?

Pluses, minuses, pitfalls...

Last edited by luvtolean; 01-16-2004 at 8:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-16-2004, 8:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Re: Anyone Bought a Piece of Land and Built it For yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean

So, any of you out there ever done it?

Pluses, minuses, pitfalls...
Sorry, haven't done it yet but seriously considering it. As it is, in Monterey County, we can't afford much of an existing structure and would have to pour a ton of money into a fixer-upper. We are renting now, but anxious to invest in something meaningful. We are both artists with simple tastes and able to do alot of the finish surface work ourselves--painting, tile laying, light fixture installation, etc. So, we have just begun looking at land for a suitable 2-3 bedroom, 2 bath, 1500-1800 sq.ft. It would be hard work, but if done right, could pay off in the end.

Last edited by zenblader; 01-16-2004 at 8:52 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-16-2004, 8:57 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, for sure.

We'd probably end up living in a trailer or something for a year or more while we recovered from buying the dirt and getting permits and such, but the GF is more than willing to put up with it.

To me it's not about cost, it will cost at least as much as a house with no land in the city. I just want space around me to keep the neighbors back, and to get out of the incorporated city so maybe I can put in a little dirtbike track and place to shoot. Country-boy at heart here I guess...

Plus, I really like the hills around here where we're looking. Very nice country.

Last edited by luvtolean; 01-16-2004 at 9:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-16-2004, 9:14 PM

We bought land in a subdivision and built on it, but that's a little different.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-16-2004, 9:46 PM

Reputation Power: 18

I own 3 acres on the edge of our county. Prolly be a few years before we build though.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-16-2004, 9:50 PM

Reputation Power: 42

I left my last job to finish building the house we are in now....building vs. buying is the only way to fly....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #7 of 14 Old 01-16-2004, 9:59 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Seriously considering it in the next 12 months.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-16-2004, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It all depends on the area, but here there aren't a lot of costs associated with the buyer. The buyer must get a building permit - which may or may not contain the service hookups (gas, electric, water). There are costs associated with a well, however, if municipal water is not available. You must get someone to 'witch' the well, drill the well and plumb it. Some companies will do all of it, sometimes you get a professional water witch to find a spot to drill, then hire a drilling company. Many times the drillers wil plumb it, though. Then you need a pump and the plumbing to the house.
All in all, it isn't too expensive considering.

Just for an example, I am going through the process of selling off some of our land. We have to pay all the back taxes to the county to bring it from 'green belt' land - which is taxed at a much lower rate - to residential land. Then, we have to get a survey done showing the 'subsdivision', attend city council meetings for zoning and pay fees to annex it into the city. Oh, we also have to give up water shares. Once all the taxes are paid and the city gets their cut, we can sell the property off.

When the buyer goes to the city to build a home on the property, they pay for a $10K building permit which includes services hookups and all inspections.
The city has water and sewer in the area where our property is at now, so no well drilling is required, but my sister-in-law, whose property is adjacent to ours, built a few years back before the city had water out that far. They had to drill, and the costs are fairly even with the city's water hookup portion.

Probably didn't answer your questions exactly, but it depends on your county's laws.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-17-2004, 4:18 PM

Reputation Power: 27

I built the house I live in, in Campbell. Depending on the area around here, buying land and building is no better than buying a fixer/upper. Always consider the tax implications also. When I did it, the county wanted to reassess the whole property with the new house on it. We simply told them no.
We told them that they could only assess the improvements to the land. Not reassess. We went all the way up to Lawrence Stone to argue our case. Well, actually, He came out of his office to see what all the ruckus was about. When he asked, "what's going on out here." We told him that his department is trying to steel money from us and we didn't appreciate it. He also wanted to reassess the entire property. We told him that if he shows us, in writing, the legislation that lets him do so, we would pay any taxes that he assesses. That was the end of the discussion. He turned to his clerk and told them to Asses the improvements. $1,500.00 for the property that was purchased in '53 and $156,000.00 for the loan used to build the house. That was it. Not the 500K + they were trying for.

Ride Red
post #10 of 14 Old 01-17-2004, 4:35 PM

Up in Washington land is being sold really cheap. It has the lowest population for a coastal state. The land value is suppose to triple in 10 years.

Oregon is pretty nice too, thats where I'm heading in a month. California is starting to bug me, plus Oregon has some decent road courses, and exelent National Parks with trails up the ying yang, and the National Parks are all free admission. Last time I was there I rode my buddies 450R all day and basically never saw the same spots, tons and tons of land. No Sales tax at all, but cant pump your own gas, and it rains all the time. Plus if you snowboard Mt. Hood open all year except for a month.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-17-2004, 6:25 PM

My home was built by the original owner (a builder of some renown in this area). We have a well, septic field and use propane. On 10 acres the amenities are numerous, while the taxes are still relatively low. We purchased the place unfinished and it seems like we might as well have been the builder as we have been pouring time and money into the property since we moved in. This isn't a negative for us, as we have something that is exactly what we want and where we want it. If you build out of a zoned area, check to make certain the local ordinances don't allow a trailer to be used as a home right next door. It took us 7 years to actually get the township to enforce this law, as the neighbors put up what was essentially an ice fishing shanty and moved in next door (lowering the value of our property by nearly 60%).

Research the area, check the local laws and measure twice.

Last edited by abtech; 01-17-2004 at 6:26 PM.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-17-2004, 6:30 PM

In this area of B.C. Cdn a lot of people are investing their money in land away from the city like .5 an acre to some 1 or 6 acres. It is a good investment if one studies the pros & cons.

Some end up selling at a profit, some actually build on it & live there. No matter what it is a good investment if one can obtain it for a good price, if it is ideal for what they have in mind, etc. First thing is to get in a surveyor to make sure the proper is properly yours & is staked so no one else can claim some of it is theres. Then work on other costs like land taxes & such. Above all make sure you have property rights to the closest road OTHERWISE you are stuck.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-17-2004, 6:52 PM

Reputation Power: 20

My wife and did what you are looking for three years ago....

We built on 3 acres of land.

It is cheaper to build on this sort of land situation if Gas Lines are there.

Propane tanking was the one thing that we wanted to stay away from.

A well will cost you about the same amount as getting hooked up to the City.

Septic is a large purchase item, but done well will recoup the cost over the years.

Make sure the grading of the land is done well..... house the highest point in the property, because you will not have storm sewers in the area.

We have great drainage........ all on sand.

Have a soil sample done of the land you look to buy, also have a radon test of the land, make sure you also test to see if there is water there or you are screwed.... especially if the have to drill over 100 ft.

What I would say to you is that the extra money is well worth every day we look in to the woods and at the creek down below.... instead of a pop up house....

DEPO

Lover of all small woodland creatures.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-17-2004, 8:00 PM

Hmm, I'm not sure what type of info you are looking for. Are you talking about actually building your own house or just being your own general contractor? I have built my own house and I'm also a licensed contractor so I have all the info you'd need I just don't know what you're looking for. Things will be a bit different I'm sure since I'm on the other side of the world and we don't deal with **** like earthquakes. I'm sure prices would vary from item to item too. If you want to build the house yourself there is alot of stuff you can do yourself if you know how to swing a hammer and run a saw. You can always buy me a plane ticket and fly me out for a month. Get a few of your buddies and we can have a house built in less than a month. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have and let me know how detailed you want me to get.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page