Cold Mountain - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 01-20-2004, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23

Cold Mountain

Watched the film Cold Mountain last night. Pretty impressive, maybe a tad too long for my taste, but a good story, well told and beautifully filmed and acted.

One thing that interested me though was the American accents. Film set in South Carolina.

As you'd expect, I'm no expert on US regional accents but thought that some actors sounded a bit flakey. Lead actor a Brit, lead actress an Aussie, Captain Teague played by Brit Ray Winstone (usually plays London "wide boy" i.e. crook). Renee Zelweger (Texas) seemed little over the top. All made good stabs at the Southern twang, but was it authentic or do Americans pi*s themselves laughing at their pitiful attempts?

I suppose that in the 1860s it was possible that with high levels of immigration from all parts of Europe that accents were very much a mixed bag and maybe regional ones hadn't developed, but I'm curious to find out what your thoughts are.

So, those of you that have seen it, how good were the accents? What did you think of the film?

Film was shot in North and South Carolina, Virginia and in Romania. Wherever, the scenery was truly magnificent. Very beautiful.

Last edited by Proto; 01-20-2004 at 1:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-20-2004, 1:15 PM
dB

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Cold Mountain

I enjoyed that movie, too. Being from CA I can't comment too much on the Southern accents, but I thought they were believable. They weren't distracting to me, anyway. While Zelweger's was a bit over the top, it fit the character. And as you mentioned, the movie was set 140 years ago...who's to say exactly how the accents sounded.
post #3 of 24 Old 01-20-2004, 1:19 PM

I agree, good movie, although I gave Renee Z. more credit than you gave her. Wifey was even impressed too. I stayed awake at the show through a long Chick Flick. Nice when you get Brownie points for having a good time.

I remember feeling the same as you did about the accents in this movie as I did when I watched "The Shipping News" and "Rare Birds". I said to meself I said "Self, who in hell was the voice coach in this??" Honest to Gawd, it sounded like a real bad cross between Aussie, Brit and Irish. Kinda takes away from the movie for those of us who hail from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 01-20-2004, 1:31 PM Thread Starter

I thoughtr Renee Zelweger was excellent. Loved g=her accent (if authentic!)

Donald Sutherland, a Canadian I think. Were there any Americans in it? Just kidding.

Shipping News, not seen the film but an excellent book.

Last edited by Proto; 01-20-2004 at 1:33 PM.
post #5 of 24 Old 01-20-2004, 1:38 PM

The News was decent, and yes, the book was better, but it so often is.

Check out Rare Birds too, it's halarious.
post #6 of 24 Old 01-20-2004, 1:51 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 32

What was the movie with Jude Law where he was a Russian Sniper? The accents in that one bothered me.

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #7 of 24 Old 01-20-2004, 1:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerblade
What was the movie with Jude Law where he was a Russian Sniper? The accents in that one bothered me.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0215750/
post #8 of 24 Old 01-20-2004, 2:33 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Haven't seen Cold Mountain yet, but expect I will when the DVD is released.

Seriously, do you expect Hollywood to be authentic in ways that matter? For some films, perhaps, and maybe for Cold Mountain too, but witness the abominable outrage that is Torque, for example, as an illustration of what can go wrong in the name of "selling the picture". Authentical it ain't.

I'd be more interested to know what you make of contemporary British films set in areas where the accents are pronounced (i.e east London, Liverpool, Glasgow, etc.). Do British actors usually "get it right"? How about American (or Aussie, say) actors and their efforts at fabricating an authentic English accent? How do they measure up?

Silver/black CBR954RR
Unsanctioned, unofficial, unloved Honda test rider
post #9 of 24 Old 01-20-2004, 3:00 PM
Fig

And now to veer totally off topic. I can't watch anything longer than a commercial for Forrest Gump, as his dumb ass accent attempting to sound like a dumb ass just grates on every nerve I have..
Fig
post #10 of 24 Old 01-20-2004, 3:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
I'd be more interested to know what you make of contemporary British films set in areas where the accents are pronounced (i.e east London, Liverpool, Glasgow, etc.). Do British actors usually "get it right"? How about American (or Aussie, say) actors and their efforts at fabricating an authentic English accent? How do they measure up?
I've not seen Torque, so can't comment. However I think that foreign actors do pretty well with accents in British films. Renee Zelweger (again!) did well in Bridget Jones' Diary. Nicloe Kidman (again!) sounded very upper class Brit in The Hours. Can't think of any more. Give me some to comment on please.

Brit actors do get it right, at least nothing sticks in my mind as bad. Although you will notice that Michael Caine never ever attempts an accent other than south London. Even in the classic Get Carter (if you haven't seen it you really should try and get a copy - superb) where he plays a Geordie (Newcastle) crook, he still has his south London accent. Never quite explained away in the story.

Did I ever mention that I used to work for Rachel Weisz's dad, George Weisz.

Last edited by Proto; 01-20-2004 at 3:44 PM.
post #11 of 24 Old 01-20-2004, 3:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig
And now to veer totally off topic. I can't watch anything longer than a commercial for Forrest Gump, as his dumb ass accent attempting to sound like a dumb ass just grates on every nerve I have..
Fig
It wasn't a true story you know Thought it a terrible film. Agree about the accent.
post #12 of 24 Old 01-20-2004, 3:55 PM

TORQUE??????????

I've only seen the trailer yet and that was quite enough.
post #13 of 24 Old 01-20-2004, 4:07 PM
Fig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto
It wasn't a true story you know Thought it a terrible film. Agree about the accent.
Forrest Gump - Of course I knew it wasn't true.. My point was about the absolute horrid accent.. Where did it come across I might have believed it was true?
Fig
post #14 of 24 Old 01-20-2004, 4:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig
Forrest Gump - Of course I knew it wasn't true.. My point was about the absolute horrid accent.. Where did it come across I might have believed it was true?
Fig

Of course I knew that you knew. Just teasing you

Last edited by Proto; 01-20-2004 at 4:15 PM.
post #15 of 24 Old 01-20-2004, 4:26 PM

Reputation Power: 42

Speaking of films with funny accents....anyone seen "Bend It Like Beckham"?

It's kind of a kid flick, but I thought it was pretty good in a weird sort of way.....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page