Loopy's Fish Tank Thread - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 93 Old 01-02-2011, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 144

Send a message via MSN to LoopyLee Send a message via Skype™ to LoopyLee
Loopy's Fish Tank Thread

Ok Godsmacked, we can talk fish stuff in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsmacked View Post
Now you're talking I have five tanks. If you know anyone with a stable tank, you can speed up the cycling process by using the gunk from their biofilter. Need any help, feel free to PM me any time.

Ask the local fish store what the hardness and PH of your water is - those numbers will save you loads of time and heartache later.

What species of fish are you looking at?
I had a 4 foot tank about 7 years ago so thankfully, for the fishes sake, I'm not a complete novice when it comes to fish keeping

The tank I've bought is only little 50cm x 25cm x 30cm which I know will mean a little more work with monitoring levels, etc., but I don't mind that. I also know it's going to mean I'm limited as to what fish I can get, partially because of the size and partly because the filter which came with the set up is giving a fast flow rate, so fish which prefer a slower water movement will be out. That still leaves quite a nice selection though

I don't know anyone who has a tank so I couldn't nick any gunk from their filter. The tank is set up with gravel and plants, although there are more plants to go in yet. The local shop didn't have much of a selection so I'm gonna order some more online.

The aqarium kit I bought came with a bottle of water treatment as well as a bottle of liquid which, according to the label, cycles the water in 48 hours . I don't hold much faith in that to be honest, but I've bunged it in anyway. The shop I bought it from let me have an easy test kit (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph) at a discount price and so I'll be testing the water daily to check on the levels and I'm waiting for things to settle out before I even think about adding any fish to it.. I'm keeping the results written down so I know whats been happening with them..

The results as of today (day 2) were..

Ammonia - 0.1
Nitrite - 0.1
Nitrate - 50

Apparently the PH of the tap water here is 8.5, which I didn't know before as I've never needed to test the water for anything..

What you leave behind is not what is engraved on stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

Blade Rider

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 Old 01-02-2011, 1:43 PM

Reputation Power: 87

Re: Loopy's Fish Tank Thread

Oh wow, to think I went and joined a couple of fish forums when I just could have posted on here. Me and the missus are "down" to four tanks. At one time we had seven tanks going on but have since consolidated and given away some fish. Today just happens to be "cleaning" day, which takes about three hours. I will post some pics later.
post #3 of 93 Old 01-02-2011, 1:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBackwoods View Post
Oh wow, to think I went and joined a couple of fish forums when I just could have posted on here. Me and the missus are "down" to four tanks. At one time we had seven tanks going on but have since consolidated and given away some fish. Today just happens to be "cleaning" day, which takes about three hours. I will post some pics later.
I'm wondering if there are any more fish owners on here now? I've spent the last week or so looking at aquatic forums and websites refreshing my knowledge before I bought my tank so I can start things off right before I put any fish in there..

Oh and you have to post piccys, I'd love to see some of your tanks

What you leave behind is not what is engraved on stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

Blade Rider

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 93 Old 01-02-2011, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyLee View Post
Apparently the PH of the tap water here is 8.5, which I didn't know before as I've never needed to test the water for anything..
With a PH level that high you could probably keep some African lake cichlids with out much water treatment if any at all. They are a beautiful bunch of fish that require a PH level between 8 and 9.
post #5 of 93 Old 01-02-2011, 3:13 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Due to my Prior experiences with fish... Dug a Pond, Filled with water, put filter and pump in it, Tested hardness etc. Have Killed accidently 78 Gold fish, 4 suckers. .. R.I.P. Billy, Bobby, Jenny, Earl, Phil, Barbie, Ken, He-man, Scotty, Louie, She-ra, ( forgot the other names)...

Where was this thread BEFORE they all died... oh well.. I'm out $7.00. ( bought smallest cheapest just for this possible outcome)..

Two potatoes are standing on a corner. How do you know which ones the prostitute? IT has a sticker that says "Idaho"
post #6 of 93 Old 01-02-2011, 3:53 PM
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 139

Send a message via MSN to Sideshow bob

...... I bought a carrot.....

now to slice it and set the slivers free in Loops tank

As long as I fall, I don't hit the ground. As long as I fall, I'm safe & sound.
post #7 of 93 Old 01-02-2011, 3:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
With a PH level that high you could probably keep some African lake cichlids with out much water treatment if any at all. They are a beautiful bunch of fish that require a PH level between 8 and 9.
I've just spent a bit of time looking at them as an option but it looks that the vast majority of them will be too big for the size of tank I have..

Blade Rider

post #8 of 93 Old 01-02-2011, 4:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow bob View Post

You are NOT putting carrot strips in my fish tank!!!!

Blade Rider

post #9 of 93 Old 01-02-2011, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyLee View Post
I've just spent a bit of time looking at them as an option but it looks that the vast majority of them will be too big for the size of tank I have..
Oops, your right. I am not very familiar with cm's. We had a dwarf puffer in a 2 gallon tank. They like a higher PH. It was a friendly little bugger, always watched what we were doing at all times. They like a lot of plants to hide in. One thing you have to watch for is that if they are caught with a net it is an almost death sentence. To transfer them properly you have to use a small cup or something because if they try to puff up out of the water it can kill them or cause such shock that they will die within a day or two. The only reason I mention this is because I watched the lady at the pet store do this over and over again. After about three of them died I did some online researching and I read this on one of the sites. After I informed them at the store, their response was "they are just too much trouble" and they discontinued them. Unfortunately they hate tank mates. I have read story after story of people trying to keep these with other fish and not having any luck.

Dwarf Puffers : Home
post #10 of 93 Old 01-02-2011, 5:26 PM Thread Starter

As the tank is small I was thinking of just two shoals of different fishes, choosing my two from the following list..

Black Widow Tetra
Rosy Tetra
Lemon Tetra
Emperor Tetra

All should be just fine with my PH levels and keeping to just a couple of species will (I think) look nice

Blade Rider

post #11 of 93 Old 01-02-2011, 5:42 PM Thread Starter

Here are some piccys..

Black Widow

Click image for larger version

Name:	0902_black_widow_tetra.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	46542

Lemon Tetra

Name:	0919_lemon_tetra.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	46543

Emperor Tetra

Name:	0925_emperor_tetra.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	46544

Rosy Tetra

Name:	0938_rosy_tetra.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	46545

courtesy of thinkfish.co.uk

Blade Rider

post #12 of 93 Old 01-03-2011, 3:51 AM

Reputation Power: 153

SSB:
Quote:

I put Carrots in my tank all the time!

Most of my catfish are vegetarian. I tried to find a pic of one eating a carrot but a zucchini will have to do. The first pic is a twig catfish (Farlowella sp. )from the Amazon. Red peppers. grapes, sweet potato, cucumbers...all goes into the tank. Prawns and clams go to the meat eaters.

Loopy's tank is 20 x12x10 inches for all of us that have to switch back and forth. I like the idea of a whole shoal of tetras - beautiful. And you could soften your water naturally using some rain water to bring it down a bit from 8.4. I think tetras breed in softer water - natural rainy season.
I have Glowlight tetras.

I'm a planted tank person too. Here's a pic of my lily blooming - the plant is sold as a Red Tiger Lotus but it's really in the lily family.

The last pic is my Glass Catfish Tank just after set-up. There's a Twig catfish on the zucchini there too. Will try to find my you tube videos of other tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Twig_n_Tail.jpg‎   IMG_1809.JPG‎   Feb28GCtank.jpg‎  
post #13 of 93 Old 01-03-2011, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Oops, your right. I am not very familiar with cm's. We had a dwarf puffer in a 2 gallon tank. They like a higher PH. It was a friendly little bugger, always watched what we were doing at all times. They like a lot of plants to hide in. One thing you have to watch for is that if they are caught with a net it is an almost death sentence. To transfer them properly you have to use a small cup or something because if they try to puff up out of the water it can kill them or cause such shock that they will die within a day or two. The only reason I mention this is because I watched the lady at the pet store do this over and over again. After about three of them died I did some online researching and I read this on one of the sites. After I informed them at the store, their response was "they are just too much trouble" and they discontinued them. Unfortunately they hate tank mates. I have read story after story of people trying to keep these with other fish and not having any luck.

Dwarf Puffers : Home
Dwarf puffers are awesome! And you don't have to file their teeth as long as they have snails to crunch on. I've seen them in with larger faster fish and they both were okay but slow moving fish seem to die a death of a thousand nibbles. Good advice with preventing the puff! Some people catch them by putting a few snails in a cup and once the puffer goes in, voila, he's caught! Lots of people train their puffers, cool, probably the smartest little dudes of the fish world. Supposedly they can handle having others of their own kind if there's LOTS of food and hiding places - too chicken to try this myself!
post #14 of 93 Old 01-03-2011, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvfr800 View Post
Due to my Prior experiences with fish... Dug a Pond, Filled with water, put filter and pump in it, Tested hardness etc. Have Killed accidently 78 Gold fish, 4 suckers. .. R.I.P. Billy, Bobby, Jenny, Earl, Phil, Barbie, Ken, He-man, Scotty, Louie, She-ra, ( forgot the other names)...

Where was this thread BEFORE they all died... oh well.. I'm out $7.00. ( bought smallest cheapest just for this possible outcome)..
We've all toasted a few fish One of the guys on a forum I go to had his mom accidentally dump his fish fry down the drain!

I have ponds too and because I can't get my air pump happening enough to prevent it from being a block of ice - only 36 inches deep, I bring my goldies in for the winter, they hang out in one of those rigid ponds in my basement for the winter. Next year I swear I will have a heater or heavy duty bubbler and leave em out! The suckers are tropical catfish so they can't handle our winters but what happened with the goldfish? They can handle our temps but they need that air hole to keep the gases fom being trapped and killing them.
Are you going to try again?
post #15 of 93 Old 01-03-2011, 4:22 AM

Here's one cat against another, my living room tank vs. the new kitten (Last year). These videos are crap but hey at least I saved you the real commentary!

This one is a cooler-water catfish called a Hoplo (Megalechis thoracata). Those fish are now about 5 inches and still like to be handfed. They get excited and slash the crap out of the feeder. Haven't been stung yet!
Turn the sound down, no over dub, just background TV and blabbing.

And for Loopy, here's my Glowlight tetras spawning, short video but they went on for ages and the eggs were promptly sucked up by the males!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page