Finally Home! What an adventure.... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 02-08-2011, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 176

Finally Home! What an adventure....

Just wanted to write an update, my family and I have made it to our new home! It was an interesting trip....had a lot of awesome moments, and a few not so awesome ones.
Our moving truck showed up, loaded up all of our stuff, and we decided to take off the same day as the truck. We knew we would beat the truck to our place, but it was better than staying in an empty house with absolutely nothing.
The moving company charged almost a dollar a pound to ship our stuff, which I thought was kinda steep but it was the best price we had found. We had sold, donated, and tossed so much of our stuff (all the stuff we've gathered over the years that we honestly did not need) that I thought we were moving rather light. Wrong. They said they had to load our things, then weigh the truck, so it was a crap-shoot anyway. We guessed everything to weigh 2500 lbs. top..... wrong again! Turned out to be about 4300 lbs. which REALLY threw a wrench in my budgeting.
So we took off anyway, Me, my wife, and my two lovely, angelic kids (one 2 1/2 yr. old and one 1 yr. old )
The first night we didn't get far. somewhere the next state over. crashed for a few hours then hit the road early. Minnesota was fairly nice, and then came....South Dakota.
South Dakota is a flat...barren state on the eastern side, not much too look at and miles between rest stops.
For the next day and a half we meandered through this desert state, till we reached Rapid City, near the black hills, and then the scenery got better.
As soon as we reached Montana, it was like another planet, Mountains, Buttes, Gorgeous views, and the roads were actually decent.
I was really surprised, but our trip thus far had been relatively easy, the kids were pretty relaxed and my wife and I switched up driving.
Then came the Rockies.....
We made it to Butte, Montana, sometime around 8 at night, and both kiddos were asleep. So I told the wifey to grab some shut eye and I would keep driving.
By this time we had a day to make it to the border, we had an appt. with the Import Office, we had to Import our car into Canada, and Export it from the states.
So when I took over driving the wife fell asleep, and the kids kept dreaming, so I kept driving.
The night was so clear, so beautiful, and the weather was decent....light snow here and there, but mostly clear. The roads were pretty good on traction. So I drove for the next 7 hours. Honestly I didn't even realize the time. I was wide awake, jammin out to some classics, soaking up the incredible views.
Now I know the rockies are something spectacular, but I honestly think that at night, it was even more impressive. The full moon lit the landscape in a silvery blanket, the silhouette of the mountains against the starlit sky. I felt like I was in a rocketship touring the dark side of a planet.
I made it through Montana, through Idaho, and into Washington by the time I realized it was 3 in the morning. I stopped for a coffee in some tiny town, and my wife woke up, suggested we go a bit further and she would take over.
I drove a little longer, not too far, and we found some lodging, crashed for a few hours, then hit the road again.
We made it through Seattle on our way to the border.
Here is where things got...interesting.
We exported the car like it was nothing, I thought we'd have the most hassle with that, but it was cake. Then we went through the Canadian Customs, and they told us to pull off to the side.
My wife went in to talk to the customs officer, and didn't come out for an hour. I was so worried, but I stayed with the kids in the car.
Finally she came out, and looked like she had been crying.
After another hour and a half we got things sorted out.
I didn't have all my paperwork (though I was told over the phone by Canadian Customs I wouldn't need a Visa) so they told my wife that her and the kids could cross (all dual-citizens) but I could not move into Canada, or I would be considered an illegal immigrant. After some haggling, and a few more tears on my wife's part, they said I could have a 6 mo. pass as a visitor, and that I needed to get my Visa figured out if I wanted to stay.
So we made it across the border, and finally on our way to our new home.
When we arrived, it was just with what we had in the car. Her relatives pitched in and brought us some camping gear and air mattresses to sleep on, and a few days worth of groceries already in the fridge!
So the moving truck was 10 days late........but it did arrive, and nothing was broken, and now we are still unpacking, but almost done.
I will say this, out of everything we went through, living in the car for a week, dealing with the border and almost being denied entry to Canada, sleeping on an air mattress with none of our belongings for two weeks, it was still worth it.
I love my new home. The place, the view, the city. I love this city.

I did, at the last minute, decide to sell my bike, regretfully. But she went to a good home for the right price. It was a sacrifice I had to make for my family's sake. We were already on a tight budget, and with our stuff costing soooo much more than we planned, it was something I had to do.

My plan now is to save up, and buy an RC51. I had an RC in '09. it was so beautiful, I wanted that bike since I was 15 when it first came out. Old lady ran an intersection and the bike was gone. So now that is my goal.

But for now, I am just enjoying this place with my family. This is going to be an interesting year for sure I'll keep everyone posted

I feel the most alive when I am close to death....

'01 Kawasaki ZR7-S (Naomi...Sold)
'07 Suzuki SV650 (Suzy...Sold)
'02 RC51 (Holly...RIP)
'02 CBR954RR (Elektra....Sold)
'11 ZX6R (Fiona...Sold)
'02 RC51 (Eleanor...My Baby)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 02-08-2011, 1:21 PM

Reputation Power: 166

Re: Finally Home! What an adventure....

Great story! I hope you get your visa sorted out though!
post #3 of 39 Old 02-08-2011, 2:23 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 270

Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_fast View Post
Just wanted to write an update, my family and I have made it to our new home! It was an interesting trip....had a lot of awesome moments, and a few not so awesome ones.
Our moving truck showed up, loaded up all of our stuff, and we decided to take off the same day as the truck. We knew we would beat the truck to our place, but it was better than staying in an empty house with absolutely nothing.
The moving company charged almost a dollar a pound to ship our stuff, which I thought was kinda steep but it was the best price we had found. We had sold, donated, and tossed so much of our stuff (all the stuff we've gathered over the years that we honestly did not need) that I thought we were moving rather light. Wrong. They said they had to load our things, then weigh the truck, so it was a crap-shoot anyway. We guessed everything to weigh 2500 lbs. top..... wrong again! Turned out to be about 4300 lbs. which REALLY threw a wrench in my budgeting.
So we took off anyway, Me, my wife, and my two lovely, angelic kids (one 2 1/2 yr. old and one 1 yr. old )
The first night we didn't get far. somewhere the next state over. crashed for a few hours then hit the road early. Minnesota was fairly nice, and then came....South Dakota.
South Dakota is a flat...barren state on the eastern side, not much too look at and miles between rest stops.
For the next day and a half we meandered through this desert state, till we reached Rapid City, near the black hills, and then the scenery got better.
As soon as we reached Montana, it was like another planet, Mountains, Buttes, Gorgeous views, and the roads were actually decent.
I was really surprised, but our trip thus far had been relatively easy, the kids were pretty relaxed and my wife and I switched up driving.
We made it to Butte, Montana, sometime around 8 at night, and both kiddos were asleep. So I told the wifey to grab some shut eye and I would keep driving.
By this time we had a day to make it to the border, we had an appt. with the Import Office, we had to Import our car into Canada, and Export it from the states.
So when I took over driving the wife fell asleep, and the kids kept dreaming, so I kept driving.
The night was so clear, so beautiful, and the weather was decent....light snow here and there, but mostly clear. The roads were pretty good on traction. So I drove for the next 7 hours. Honestly I didn't even realize the time. I was wide awake, jammin out to some classics, soaking up the incredible views.
Now I know the rockies are something spectacular, but I honestly think that at night, it was even more impressive. The full moon lit the landscape in a silvery blanket, the silhouette of the mountains against the starlit sky. I felt like I was in a rocketship touring the dark side of a planet.
I made it through Montana, through Idaho, and into Washington by the time I realized it was 3 in the morning. I stopped for a coffee in some tiny town, and my wife woke up, suggested we go a bit further and she would take over.
I drove a little longer, not too far, and we found some lodging, crashed for a few hours, then hit the road again.
We exported the car like it was nothing, I thought we'd have the most hassle with that, but it was cake. Then we went through the Canadian Customs, and they told us to pull off to the side.
My wife went in to talk to the customs officer, and didn't come out for an hour. I was so worried, but I stayed with the kids in the car.
I didn't have all my paperwork (though I was told over the phone by Canadian Customs I wouldn't need a Visa) so they told my wife that her and the kids could cross (all dual-citizens) but I could not move into Canada, or I would be considered an illegal immigrant. After some haggling, and a few more tears on my wife's part, they said I could have a 6 mo. pass as a visitor, and that I needed to get my Visa figured out if I wanted to stay.
When we arrived, it was just with what we had in the car. Her relatives pitched in and brought us some camping gear and air mattresses to sleep on, and a few days worth of groceries already in the fridge!
So the moving truck was 10 days late........but it did arrive, and nothing was broken, and now we are still unpacking, but almost done.
I will say this, out of everything we went through, living in the car for a week, dealing with the border and almost being denied entry to Canada, sleeping on an air mattress with none of our belongings for two weeks, it was still worth it.

I did, at the last minute, decide to sell my bike, regretfully. But she went to a good home for the right price. It was a sacrifice I had to make for my family's sake. We were already on a tight budget, and with our stuff costing soooo much more than we planned, it was something I had to do.

My plan now is to save up, and buy an RC51. I had an RC in '09. it was so beautiful, I wanted that bike since I was 15 when it first came out. Old lady ran an intersection and the bike was gone. So now that is my goal.

But for now, I am just enjoying this place with my family. This is going to be an interesting year for sure I'll keep everyone posted
So happy for you and your family wicked.

I was young and stupid then. I'm old and stupid now.
We get too soon old, and too late smart.
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 02-08-2011, 2:48 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_fast View Post

Pleased it's all sorted for ya

It wasn't me, honest !
post #5 of 39 Old 02-08-2011, 6:31 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 231

What a journey...all that time in the car, great sacrifice mate, I know you had a tight budget, but saying/talking about something like this and actually doing it are two different things..WELL DONE to you and your family mate!!!!!!!!

Just one thing...Did you say when you got in your new home....NEVER AGAIN? I wouldn't blame you if you did

Do, or do not, there is no try !
The mind is a funny thing

Jazzy's Blog
post #6 of 39 Old 02-08-2011, 7:28 PM

Reputation Power: 87

Glad to see you back, and glad to hear it went good. Couldn't agree with you more on South Dakota!

You just missed about 18 inches of snow in the valleys and tons in the mountains, perfect timing. It took me 40 minutes to get 7 miles to work this morning.
post #7 of 39 Old 02-08-2011, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Des View Post
Great story! I hope you get your visa sorted out though!
Thanks, and Me too!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca9540 View Post
So happy for you and your family wicked.
Thank ya Macca

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Pleased it's all sorted for ya
Thanks Bucko, me too, though there are a few minor kinks left...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
What a journey...all that time in the car, great sacrifice mate, I know you had a tight budget, but saying/talking about something like this and actually doing it are two different things..WELL DONE to you and your family mate!!!!!!!!

Just one thing...Did you say when you got in your new home....NEVER AGAIN? I wouldn't blame you if you did
Thank ya Jazz man, means alot, it was one hell of an undertaking, but worth it in the end. And yes, I told the wife from now on, if we have to move we sell everything and replace it when we get there (possibly the kids too, depending..)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBackwoods View Post
Glad to see you back, and glad to hear it went good. Couldn't agree with you more on South Dakota!

You just missed about 18 inches of snow in the valleys and tons in the mountains, perfect timing. It took me 40 minutes to get 7 miles to work this morning.
Thanks NW! South Dakota sucks ass Honestly, no offense to anyone here from...that place...but I can say that was THE worst part of the trip (besides the customs office..what a bunch of and asshats ) as far as all that snow, you can keep it all fella, honest, I won't get jealous

'02 RC51 (Holly...RIP)
'11 ZX6R (Fiona...Sold)
post #8 of 39 Old 02-09-2011, 1:14 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Great to hear you are off to a new start, good luck and god bless you and your family, hope you get your RC soon and post some good pics of the new adventure

swaying to the symphony of destruction!!!!
post #9 of 39 Old 02-09-2011, 2:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkobflys View Post
Great to hear you are off to a new start, good luck and god bless you and your family, hope you get your RC soon and post some good pics of the new adventure
Thanks jkob, I appreciate that, and I will be posting some pics as soon as I get them on the comp good times ahead, I can feel it in the air.....

'02 RC51 (Holly...RIP)
'11 ZX6R (Fiona...Sold)
post #10 of 39 Old 02-09-2011, 2:09 AM

Reputation Power: 153

I officially apologize to you and yours for the overpaid, copschool-drop-out, authority mad, weasel-wacking, sniveling, uniform-wrinkling, badge-wearing embarassing representatives that you ran into at the border. Give 'em guns and now they think they own the place!
What a load of hooey! You'd think at the guns, gangs and drugs BC border, they could straighten out a visa issue in fifteen minutes. I'm appalled that you had to go through all that. It should have been,"Yeah, you need a visa, buddy, but here's a visitors permit and pop into the office during the week - Welcome to Canada."

What a bunch of dickheads. They're not all like that thank goodness.

Glad you made it and can finally get the bike you want. Interest rates are really low right now but cash is certainly king still - nice to have no payments. The new Motorbike maps will be out in April. You can find them at your local CAA office.

Take the kids & wife out to Naniamo valley at some point in the spring - I loved it there - salmon to die for and single person hot springs in the rocks. Also check out the seaside when the tide goes out too - make sure the kiddos wear boots until they know which of the bright little critters are safe to play with. It's like walking thru a saltwater aquarium.

Nice job on the relocate - sounds smooth
post #11 of 39 Old 02-09-2011, 2:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsmacked View Post

I officially apologize to you and yours for the overpaid, copschool-drop-out, authority mad, weasel-wacking, sniveling, uniform-wrinkling, badge-wearing embarassing representatives that you ran into at the border. Give 'em guns and now they think they own the place!
What a load of hooey! You'd think at the guns, gangs and drugs BC border, they could straighten out a visa issue in fifteen minutes. I'm appalled that you had to go through all that. It should have been,"Yeah, you need a visa, buddy, but here's a visitors permit and pop into the office during the week - Welcome to Canada."

What a bunch of dickheads. They're not all like that thank goodness.

Glad you made it and can finally get the bike you want. Interest rates are really low right now but cash is certainly king still - nice to have no payments. The new Motorbike maps will be out in April. You can find them at your local CAA office.

Take the kids & wife out to Naniamo valley at some point in the spring - I loved it there - salmon to die for and single person hot springs in the rocks. Also check out the seaside when the tide goes out too - make sure the kiddos wear boots until they know which of the bright little critters are safe to play with. It's like walking thru a saltwater aquarium.

Nice job on the relocate - sounds smooth
Thank you so much for the advice! We live right across the street from Queens Park, pretty sweet spot, but I've heard of the hot springs in Nanaimo, I can't wait to explore more this spring/summer.
No worries about the border patrol, I'm in like flynn, I just gotta get the ball rolling with my visa and we are golden. It honestly feels like home here, I know it sounds cliche', but I feel like I belong here.... there will be some great times ahead and I can't wait to share with my fav. peeps!

'02 RC51 (Holly...RIP)
'11 ZX6R (Fiona...Sold)
post #12 of 39 Old 02-10-2011, 1:39 PM Thread Starter

'02 RC51 (Holly...RIP)
'11 ZX6R (Fiona...Sold)
post #13 of 39 Old 02-10-2011, 1:45 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 231

Lot of low cloud dude, must be nuts up in those skyscrapers

Wicked lookin city mate

Do, or do not, there is no try !
The mind is a funny thing

Jazzy's Blog
post #14 of 39 Old 02-10-2011, 1:55 PM

Reputation Power: 144

Send a message via MSN to LoopyLee Send a message via Skype™ to LoopyLee

That was an adventure and a half!!! Glad things worked out in the end though

What you leave behind is not what is engraved on stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

Blade Rider

post #15 of 39 Old 02-10-2011, 2:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
Lot of low cloud dude, must be nuts up in those skyscrapers

Wicked lookin city mate
Its insane! We're on the 23rd floor and you can honestly see the fog creep through the streets and swallow the buildings and bridges, and then an hour later you cannot see anything through the windows but white fog, its like a horror movie (check out The Fog)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyLee View Post
That was an adventure and a half!!! Glad things worked out in the end though
Thanks Loopy, I was concerned at the border, but in the end everything worked out great. I think I've filled my adventure quota for at least the next year, maybe two....

'02 RC51 (Holly...RIP)
'11 ZX6R (Fiona...Sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page