NJ Insurance Sucks! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-29-2004, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

NJ Insurance Sucks!

I just got a letter from State Farm cancelling my motorcycle insurance. An accident I had over 3 years ago is the reason. The accident was in my car, not my fault and at the time I didn't have a motorcycle liscense. Strangely enough, my car policy isn't cancelled. I'll probably have to pay 3 times as much for less coverage or go out of state. I can insure in NC or SC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-29-2004, 1:01 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Re: NJ Insurance Sucks!

State Farm here covers bikes. but I think you have to have a car insured with them. My GF has her bikes insured with Geico, with no other policies with them.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-29-2004, 1:40 PM

Reputation Power: 18

State Farm in NJ covers bikes as long as you have another policy with them be it auto, home business etc.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-29-2004, 2:09 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via AIM to HondaGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAce
I just got a letter from State Farm cancelling my motorcycle insurance. An accident I had over 3 years ago is the reason. The accident was in my car, not my fault and at the time I didn't have a motorcycle liscense. Strangely enough, my car policy isn't cancelled. I'll probably have to pay 3 times as much for less coverage or go out of state. I can insure in NC or SC.
I had my bike policy set for termination by State Farm (and I have my auto insured by them too). From what the underwriter told me because I called to , they are canceling any motorcycle policies when someone has a substantial claim paid out. Sounds to me like a crock of but there's nothing we can do. Motorcycle insurance isn't regulated by the state like auto insurance is and they can't cancel an auto policy just because you filed a claim but they sure can cancel a m.c. policy.

I ended up finding insurance with Foremost Insurance albeit not as inexpensive as State Farm but better than nothing.

What was recommended to me by somene (maybe even from .org was to cancel my policy before State Farm did. That way, there's no record that your policy was canceled by them...only that you canceled it.

State Farm gives 30 day notice for m.c. ins. cancellation. You'll find something before then. Good luck.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-29-2004, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob
State Farm in NJ covers bikes as long as you have another policy with them be it auto, home business etc.
Wifey used to work for State Farm and said that is corporate policy, not just in New Jersey.

If you want to get screwed on insurance, come to Canada. I had the TLR alone first, $827 / year. Then I got the Sprint in the fall ( and kept the TLR). The insurance rep said "Hey, you're getting a deal here. You're insurance is only going up to $1600 a year." I said WTF, I can only ride one at a time, and there's no other licensed riders in the house. She told me "Sorry, that's the charges."
post #6 of 14 Old 01-29-2004, 2:58 PM

Welcome to my nightmare!! Try to insure a bike in Ontario right now (sport bikes in particular) insurance rates have gone through the roof over the last two years with no end in sight. We are hoping for the goverment to step in at some point if we can get enough support letters, petitions, etc.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-29-2004, 3:21 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Motorcycle rates in NJ for sportbikes are significantly higher than for other bikes. Any other company besides State farm will charge at least $1400/year for one bike. State Farm has the best rates, but as noted, if you have one claim you're done.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-30-2004, 8:53 AM

Reputation Power: 21

nj insurance is still lower than GA insurance. i recently experienced THAT phenom

"sorry I'm late, I had to stop by the wax museum and give the finger to FDR again" - Cotton Hill
post #9 of 14 Old 01-30-2004, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba
nj insurance is still lower than GA insurance. i recently experienced THAT phenom
You're kidding??! Wow, I always thought NJ had the highest rates in the nation.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-30-2004, 9:43 AM

Reputation Power: 21

me too, When I started my insurance down here it went up 400 for the year. I was SHOCKED. she said the GA has had n increase of uninsured motorists the past 3 years and the insurance has sy rocketed for it. I had her check it twice and then got the manager to complain - did me no good.

"sorry I'm late, I had to stop by the wax museum and give the finger to FDR again" - Cotton Hill
post #11 of 14 Old 01-30-2004, 9:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGal
I ended up finding insurance with Foremost Insurance albeit not as inexpensive as State Farm but better than nothing.

State Farm gives 30 day notice for m.c. ins. cancellation. You'll find something before then. Good luck.

I got a quote from Rider for $2232 for both bikes with less coverage. I was paying $910 before. I called Foremost and they quoted me $1127 for hte same coverage. Thanks a lot HG!! I'll get you breakfast, adjust your air pressure, wax your 954 or something @ Grattan!
post #12 of 14 Old 01-30-2004, 10:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to HondaGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAce
I got a quote from Rider for $2232 for both bikes with less coverage. I was paying $910 before. I called Foremost and they quoted me $1127 for hte same coverage. Thanks a lot HG!! I'll get you breakfast, adjust your air pressure, wax your 954 or something @ Grattan!
Glad to have helped! I'm very happy with these folks...they even called me after I got my policy to see if I had any other questions for them. I was shocked.

We'll share a few brews together, ok? No need for you to be my manservent @ Grattan.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-30-2004, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

I was going to get one of the guys coming with me to do it anyway. With the group coming with me, Beer can be easily arranged!
post #14 of 14 Old 01-30-2004, 10:44 AM

Mmmmmmm.......beeeeer! Nothin' like a nice cold one after a good day of riding!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page