Group Mentality - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-03-2004, 1:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Group Mentality

Anyone had a job where they worked in a group, that sucked ass? Maybe I'm lucky to always have been in good ones, but the current group I'm in leaves a lot to be desired. Especially when the mgr. wants us to all be buddies and so forth. Hard to do when you think the people you work with are pricks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-03-2004, 1:42 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: Group Mentality

Been there dude Ended up getting fired because of differences
post #3 of 19 Old 02-03-2004, 1:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
Been there dude Ended up getting fired because of differences
Damn! Really, what happened? I truly need advice, I have to stay in this position a year, and the company 18 months, or I have to fork back the relo money. The guys I have to work with in my group are unbearable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 02-03-2004, 2:21 AM

Reputation Power: 20

What's wrong with them?
Do they always ask for work? Send them on useless errands like getting you a bucket of steam.
Are they slacking off? Keep calling the boss over to answer your questions.
Do they distract you from doing your work? Tape the bottom of their mice and then let them spend 4 hours on tech support figuring out the problem.
There's gotta be some way to turn their annoying qualities into fun for you!

I know where you are coming from... in my job, I work with many teams at many client sites. Some are completely unbearable. You'll survive even if it kills you.

Jordan H.
The three most feared words in racing, "Powered by Honda".
post #5 of 19 Old 02-03-2004, 8:02 AM

Reputation Power: 31

That sucks. You have to be there 8 hours a day. I used to work with some folks who made my life miserable. I ended up moving on to a better job. I managed to deal with it for a couple of years. A year will go by quickly, although it may not seem like it. Is there anyone above these people you can go to? Are there any decent coworkers you could hang out with to make it more bearable? Tough situation.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-03-2004, 9:27 AM

Well I was supposed to have been involved in the hiring of a new "supervisor" after the original one retired. This time we were going to get it right. I mean this person was going to be technical with managerial experience, blah, blah, blah. One day my boss says "meet the new supervisor"! This lady is well into her 50s with nearly zero technical ability, I mean barely knows what a mouse is! I was furious for about 6 months, don't get me wrong, very nice lady but not someone I wanted to work with. I had to hold her hand through everything and try to organize her own habits/procedures. One day my boss assigns this huge project to both her and I. I finally broke down and said "you gotta be kidding me!". "She's worthless, you might as well have just said I'm giving YOU this entire huge task." Apparently that hurt his ego being that HE hired her and as long as she didn't bother him and stayed in the shadows she would do just fine. My boss instructed my Network Manager to setup a meeting with all three of us "to work out our differences"! I had to swallow my pride and play the team player and admit I was wrong and we'll get by the best we can with the resources we have...blah, blah, blah. I've learned to live with it and pick up my paycheck every two weeks and be glad I have a job. I still get embarassed with some of the lingo she uses in meetings with outside vendors, it doesn't protray us as a professional (they know their sh$t) department. She's told me since she's only buying her time, 2 years to retirement. She really is a caring person, just not very good at what she's supposed to do (then again the payscale is crap for that position - which I wanted changed to get better quality applicants). She sometimes falls asleep in her office, she even had engineering disconnect the light in her office (she now has a cozy table lamp which sets the mood perfectly - oh, and locks her door). But it doesn't bother me.
Sorry for the long read, whew, I feel better now.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-03-2004, 9:54 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave
Well I was supposed to have been involved in the hiring of a new "supervisor" after the original one retired. This time we were going to get it right. I mean this person was going to be technical with managerial experience, blah, blah, blah. One day my boss says "meet the new supervisor"! This lady is well into her 50s with nearly zero technical ability, I mean barely knows what a mouse is! I was furious for about 6 months, don't get me wrong, very nice lady but not someone I wanted to work with. I had to hold her hand through everything and try to organize her own habits/procedures. One day my boss assigns this huge project to both her and I. I finally broke down and said "you gotta be kidding me!". "She's worthless, you might as well have just said I'm giving YOU this entire huge task." Apparently that hurt his ego being that HE hired her and as long as she didn't bother him and stayed in the shadows she would do just fine. My boss instructed my Network Manager to setup a meeting with all three of us "to work out our differences"! I had to swallow my pride and play the team player and admit I was wrong and we'll get by the best we can with the resources we have...blah, blah, blah. I've learned to live with it and pick up my paycheck every two weeks and be glad I have a job. I still get embarassed with some of the lingo she uses in meetings with outside vendors, it doesn't protray us as a professional (they know their sh$t) department. She's told me since she's only buying her time, 2 years to retirement. She really is a caring person, just not very good at what she's supposed to do (then again the payscale is crap for that position - which I wanted changed to get better quality applicants). She sometimes falls asleep in her office, she even had engineering disconnect the light in her office (she now has a cozy table lamp which sets the mood perfectly - oh, and locks her door). But it doesn't bother me.
Oh ****. hahah, you had me startled. I had to check your location because that ladies description sounds exactly like my client! hhaahaha... You aren't working up in Toronto are you??

Her definitions:
Working from home - I have an appointment at the mall
I'll call into the meeting - I'll be absent
Let me schedule a meeting - I'll be late so someone else moderate
Lets talk to ____ before discussing this - Lets bury this issue and never speak of it again
Lets cover all the angles - Lets push out the deadline again (now 1.5 years instead of 3-5 months)

Sound familiar? She even does the "no light in the office" thing.

Jordan H.
The three most feared words in racing, "Powered by Honda".
post #8 of 19 Old 02-03-2004, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad
Sound familiar? She even does the "no light in the office" thing.

She even waste tons of valuable productive time on this motorcycle internet site...oops, wait a minute...
post #9 of 19 Old 02-03-2004, 11:23 AM

Didn't you just start this job a few months ago? That doesn’t seem like long enough to make a fair judgement about your co-workers to me.

I'd give it more time before I threw in the towel.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-03-2004, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave
Is she hot?
post #11 of 19 Old 02-03-2004, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Is she hot?
Can always count on Pete for laugh!

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #12 of 19 Old 02-03-2004, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Is she hot?
YOU'RE A SICK MAN PETE!

Besides maybe Christie Brinkley (who just turned 50!), I can't think of many woman, especially in their late 50's, I would consider hot.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-03-2004, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth23
The guys I have to work with in my group are unbearable.
18 months flys by...
While at work, focus on the job and your goals as much as possible and as little as possible on the personalities causing the problem. (as you know, its a job, not a popularity contest)

Make a positive impression on your management. Look for opertunities to show how you can cooperatively "out-perform" the jerks.

Stay out of as many conversations and fraternize as little as possible with those who are trying to push your buttons. Dont let on that you dislike anyone at work.

Make more friends out-side of work so that work is just a job.
post #14 of 19 Old 02-03-2004, 12:24 PM
dB

Good stuff, Figment.
post #15 of 19 Old 02-03-2004, 12:32 PM

Yep, no need to be buddies with these guys. I was in a position in college where a couple shifts a week I worked with a bunch of psycho old ladies who drove me crazy. I just didn't talk to them about anything but work. I never, ever would talk about personal things with them. If they tried, I'd just ignore or leave the room. I was courteous about work conversations. I decided to stick it out for more than 2 years as it was good easy work, with benefits, and a fairly flexible schedule which I really needed for school. Though more than once the blue hairs tried to have me written up for "personal issues", they always ended up looking completely childish and stupid in the meetings with the boss.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page