Investments... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-05-2004, 5:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

Investments...

Can you share some knowledge about investments, portfolio's and the like?

I got my pamphlet for my 401k today. Looking through it, and while I understand a lot of it, just as much of it is greek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-05-2004, 5:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Investments...

You're a young punk. Put a large portion of your 401k money into aggressive funds.
You never want all your money invested into one or two accounts - spread it out some. If you're not putting a whole lot of money in, don't spread it too thin, but you need to place it in more than one or two.
Find one good solid mutual fund that isn't high-risk, but proven to hold it's value and grow slightly. Put maybe 25% of your money there.
Then find two or three medium to high risk funds that may be unstable short-term, but are aggressive enough that they should project large long-term growth. Put the rest split into these funds.
You won't be touching your 401k money for a long time (unless you're an idiot and want to pay half of it back in fees and taxes), so don't wory about short-term losses on your investments.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-05-2004, 5:42 PM

I'm no expert, but watch for maintenance fees and the like. Some funds charge you if you have less than say $5k in the fund. IMO, you should make sure you focus on each fund until you don't have to pay this fee, and then move on to the next pick. Of course, I think you should have a lot more than $5k because with aggressive funds (which young punks like you and I should focus on) the swing can take a fund worth $6k today to $5k faster than you add to it.

Last edited by luvtolean; 02-05-2004 at 5:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-05-2004, 6:04 PM

diversify and don't go for the quick buck. The stock market fluctuates considerably but over the long term eg 7 years your porfolio should be up by 17-20%. Depending on your risk profile, I would buy 10% from each segment : resource (materials), listed property trusts (real estate), banks, automotive, retail, diversified financials, utilities, and maybe some managed funds (value funds - less risky, growth funds - risky). I usually leave a little to play with and buy a spekky stock also. I am not giving you advice just a little bit of info.

Oh yeah, make sure you leave a little spare for the MV Agusta F4 1000 kay!
post #5 of 6 Old 02-06-2004, 5:02 AM

I always put a solid chunk (at least 20%) into a S&P 500 index fund. But that's me. I pulled out of all managed funds cause IMO most fund managers don't know their arses from their elbows. The bulk of my stuff is in self-directed accounts - but not all retirement plans allow that.

For individual stocks - I almost always buy single decision stocks. That means I buy them and never sell. If it isn't a stock I want to hold until retirement, I won't buy it. I do some bottom feeding on out-of-favor stocks that I think will rebound, but that's gambling and I have a strict annual limit (all non-retirement funds) for that stuff.

Finally, I will invest in things like Gold American Eagles when I see clear trends - again, with non-retirement funds.

I highly recommend you read this book and re-read it periodically as you get more confident with investing.

GOOD LUCK!
post #6 of 6 Old 02-06-2004, 11:32 AM

Get yourself set up with a Roth IRA too. Deposit taxed $ but you don't pay taxes on the gains, unlike a standard IRA.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page