12 volt switch help. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-06-2004, 9:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

12 volt switch help.

Anyone know of a 12 volt switch/relay/control that is normaly open and closes when voltage drops to a certain point...somewhere around eleven volts? TIA

J

For '05 I promised myself I would practice tolerance...so if people would quit being so STUPID I'll be more tolerant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-06-2004, 9:11 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Re: 12 volt switch help.

You trying to build a charging system idiot light?
post #3 of 8 Old 02-06-2004, 9:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG
You trying to build a charging system idiot light?
I'm mounting a winch on my car hauler, I'll be mounting an Exide Orbital Deep cycle battery and some work/loading lights. I wired the 7 way plug with an accessory 12v + but don't want the battery charging until it needs it. I will add a battery tender type charger but would like to be able to charge it on the road as well. I was going to just install a toggle switch near the battery but would like something automatic...

J

For '05 I promised myself I would practice tolerance...so if people would quit being so STUPID I'll be more tolerant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-06-2004, 9:22 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Go to your local autoparts place or RV place and get a "Battery Isolator" Hook your winch to the "isolated" battery and your stock charging system will charge that battery and the regular one as it would normally, but your winch will only be able to draw from the isolated battery. Makes the whole deal automatic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbducker
I'm mounting a winch on my car hauler, I'll be mounting an Exide Orbital Deep cycle battery and some work/loading lights. I wired the 7 way plug with an accessory 12v + but don't want the battery charging until it needs it. I will add a battery tender type charger but would like to be able to charge it on the road as well. I was going to just install a toggle switch near the battery but would like something automatic...

J
post #5 of 8 Old 02-06-2004, 9:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG
Go to your local autoparts place or RV place and get a "Battery Isolator" Hook your winch to the "isolated" battery and your stock charging system will charge that battery and the regular one as it would normally, but your winch will only be able to draw from the isolated battery. Makes the whole deal automatic!!

I wish it were that easy...albeit a little cheaper. The deep cycle will be mounted in the tool box on the trailer (sorry for not mentioning that) near the winch...it's sole purpose in life is to run the winch and lights. I am hoping to extend the life of the deep cycle by only charging it when it is near depleated...That's why I want a low voltage switching device.

Having just typed that...if I am using the winch and the battery drains far enough to need a charge and said switch closes...I will be trying to run the winch with twenty some feet of #12 wire=way bad...damn...I guess I could install a 15 amp fuse...but what a pain if I have to check the fuse everytime I hit use the winch...Thanks for the thoughts Brian...looks like I need to go back to the drawing board here...unless someone has another idea...

J

post #6 of 8 Old 02-06-2004, 10:05 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Ithink, every RV, Motorhome, and Trailer out there charges the deep cycle batteries all the time. And unless your planning on using the winch with the tow vehicle unhooked, why not just power it off the 12v source fromthe 7pin connector?

Last edited by G-Force Junkie; 02-06-2004 at 10:06 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-06-2004, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
Ithink, every RV, Motorhome, and Trailer out there charges the deep cycle batteries all the time. And unless your planning on using the winch with the tow vehicle unhooked, why not just power it off the 12v source fromthe 7pin connector?

Good point on the RV/charging comment. My take on a long and happy life for a deep cycle battery is that it should be very discharged before recharging every time...everything I've read supports that theory...Perhaps I'll do more research. To run the winch off the 12v accy pin on the 7pin...I would need to run something like an #2 or #0 cable...hard to connect to the 7pin connector... Points to ponder G...thanks.

J

post #8 of 8 Old 02-07-2004, 2:20 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbducker
Good point on the RV/charging comment. My take on a long and happy life for a deep cycle battery is that it should be very discharged before recharging every time...everything I've read supports that theory...Perhaps I'll do more research. To run the winch off the 12v accy pin on the 7pin...I would need to run something like an #2 or #0 cable...hard to connect to the 7pin connector... Points to ponder G...thanks.

J
Seems like too much thinking about a $50 battery every 3 years... Typical 7 pin should have a 10ga wire on the accesory terminal...doesnt mean every vehicle manufacturer deoest that. Personaly I would wire it like a trailer, have a battery mounted specificaly for the winch, as small group 24 batery, and wire it to the 12v accesory term fromthe 7 pin. That way you can run the winch with the vehicle running and never discharge the battery, it maintains a charge as you drive, and if you had to you could use the winch with its battery as a stand alone unit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page