Boss sprained my brain first thing this morning - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 05-28-2003, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Boss sprained my brain first thing this morning

Okay, I'm being considered for a plan called ICAP. In short it takes a full CIS degree and smashs it into 6 months. Just the computer classes though. Here's the deal:

I have to pay upfront, they pay me back ($1200 twice)
If I pull a 3.0 out of the course, large pay raise may happen.
If I don't get a 3.0 I have to re-apply for my job.
It's a full time job thing, I go there every day instead of to work.
No vacation, no sick days, miss a day and you're boned.
Seriously cuts into my summer riding time and travels.
If I don't take it, no stress, things continue as they do now.
If I do this, I owe the company a years worth of time, actually would have a contract.

That's about all I have for now. I'll post more as I find out.

Oh, the kicker....I have to tell him by tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-28-2003, 10:54 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs

sounds to me like a job with satin. *miss a day and your bones...UM..not for me! *#### happens, and thats the way it goes. *I have only missed one day of work in my life...but hell, I would hate to know I couldn't. *BLING is good...but weigh out the options...I would say, if you would LOVE it...it would not be work at all. * but if you hate it your doomed!

Team Honda - well sorta...
post #3 of 29 Old 05-28-2003, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

I love programing and this would move me to the next level.

Oh and what I ment about missing a day is that you would fall behind in the class to a point of being lost, they cover a lot of ground in a hurry. They won't kick you out or anything.

Gah! This is making my head hurt, still.

At least it's a good pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 05-28-2003, 10:59 AM

does not sound like a good deal to me.
post #5 of 29 Old 05-28-2003, 11:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs

Oh, missing a day in the class...true..I see. Well, if you like it say yes...if you re-apply and do not get the job...you will be trained for it somewhere else. Problem is the economy BLOWS! so if you do not say yes...you out, fired, 86ed?

post #6 of 29 Old 05-28-2003, 11:06 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Get it in writing.

Whatever your company promises (tuition re-imbursement, potential pay raise, etc.) make sure it's documented. It's always a good thing to have written proof in case conflicts arise or promises are forgotten.

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Post-blade
post #7 of 29 Old 05-28-2003, 11:08 AM

thats a good point. Seems like I hear stories about people getting the gears all the time. Better to be safe then sorry!

post #8 of 29 Old 05-28-2003, 11:17 AM

I agree with getting things in writing.

And, who's to guarantee that there will be a position waiting for you when you complete your classes? I've seen people's jobs eliminated quickly. And, who's to say that they won't let you go during the classes...something else to think about. Who's going to pay for the classes then?. Get everything in writing. Verbal promises are crap when it comes to employment.

I say do what you think you should do. Just CYA so that your company doesn't mess with you while you're away.
post #9 of 29 Old 05-28-2003, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

The whole thing is put into a contract, both ways, before it starts. The contract covers everything from me having a job for a year (minimum) and not being able to leave for a year.

They pay all but $2400 of it up front. The re-embursment is for the $2400 I have to cover and, while it is in the contract, it is also a benifit I have with the company.

This will be the second group to go through. The last group is finishing up now and all of them still have their jobs (we had a small lay-off session during that time and none of them were touched).

So I am covered, as long as I don't fail out, and if I finish with at least a 3.0 I'm open to a nice pay increase (boss just told me that one). I've been here 3 years and am pretty secure (as secure as someone can be nowadays I guess). I've watched many come and go but I'm pretty well entrenched now.

I'm still up in the air. If I do it it's a great oppertunity. Just worried about making myself focus on it for 6 months.
post #10 of 29 Old 05-28-2003, 11:36 AM

If you don't do it, that is going to tell your boss that you are not striving to get better at your job and when the next RIF comes you may be on the chopping block.

Nothing worth having comes easy.
post #11 of 29 Old 05-28-2003, 11:36 AM

Six months will go fast. Sounds like a good opportunity for you. It certainly won't hinder your career to take the classes. If it was me...I'd do it. More $$ in the paycheck is good!
post #12 of 29 Old 05-28-2003, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Heavy-Dee : If you don't do it, that is going to tell your boss that you are not striving to get better at your job and when the next RIF comes you may be on the chopping block.

Nothing worth having comes easy.
I was thinking along the same lines. And the last line is something I say all the time.

This is a program that I showed a lot of interest in (which is why they are considering me) but I didn't have all the ins and outs of it at the time (like the re-applying for my job bit).

I'm probably going to do it if for no other reason then to better myself. Just worried about the classes as I'm 100% self-taught, programming-wise, and haven't had any formal training in it (I have a 2 year CIS degree already but it's with a focus on networking).
post #13 of 29 Old 05-28-2003, 12:03 PM

Sounds to me like you have no choice but to take the risk. If you don't, you will always wonder if you 'could have'. At least if you try you will know.

If you are not sure you can hack it, I bet you will be suprised by what you are capable of doing when it comes down to it.
post #14 of 29 Old 05-28-2003, 12:05 PM
dB

I'm with HondaGal. Once you start working, how often do you get a chance to further your education without the normal job duties at the same time? And get it reimbursed? Especially considering this education falls right in line with your chosen career path. I say go for it! At the end of the class, you'll be more marketable whether you beat the 3.0 or not...but you will.
post #15 of 29 Old 05-28-2003, 12:15 PM

Reputation Power: 50

I say jump all over that, and make sure you have it all in writing. With the way the economy is nobody's guaranteed anything in the tech field. If these guys are willing to give you a job for at least the next year, with a raise and it's in contract, take it and run

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page