need dsl help. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 02-16-2004, 8:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

need dsl help.

At work, i am setting up a network p2p and cant get the dsl to share between computers. i can get it on one but not the others. i have a linksys router but when i try to get into that, it brings up the westell modem that has the same options as the router, like it took over its gui. anyway. what do i need to have on to get dsl shared? dhcp? ics? i tried everything i know, thats why i am asking for help. i know its a broad question, sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-16-2004, 8:24 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: need dsl help.

What OS are you running? All you should have to do is enable DHCP on the router, make sure all the NIC's are configured to operate off DHCP and surf away Not that complicated
post #3 of 15 Old 02-16-2004, 8:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
What OS are you running? All you should have to do is enable DHCP on the router, make sure all the NIC's are configured to operate off DHCP and surf away Not that complicated
I know its not that complicated. i just cant seem to get it to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-16-2004, 8:33 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Sounds like the router and modem are both configured to the same IP address. I would disconnect the modem, browse to the router and give it a different IP before reconnecting the system.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-16-2004, 8:38 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to TGZ13

I agree with abtech. It sounds like both are using the same ip addresses. Try chanigng the router ip and see what happens.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-16-2004, 8:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
Sounds like the router and modem are both configured to the same IP address. I would disconnect the modem, browse to the router and give it a different IP before reconnecting the system.
Ah, I will try that tomorrow. thanks Ab
post #7 of 15 Old 02-16-2004, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegen
Ah, I will try that tomorrow. thanks Ab
to really know whats going on we would need to know:
The ip address for administration on the westel modem, linksys router and your pc. Perhaps you might tell us if the router is doing dhcp right off the bat.

setup should be telcoline---->westelmodem(wan port)--->(wanport)inksysrouter(lanport)--->pc

I know on my dsl modem I can set it to bridge so that the router can use a wan ip. I think all linksys routers connect at 192.168.1.1 my modem connects at 10.0.0.1 Consequently you have to put an ip address and subnetmask that will connect to the ips. to connect to a 192.168.1.1 you should be 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0 and 10.0.0.1 something like 10.0.0.2/255.0.0.0

Find out what the admin ips of the devices are and then put your pc in a similar ip cabled directly to it to set it up or make it diffrent.

confused yet Stegy?
post #8 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

ok, been working on it all morning and still cant get it to work. now i cant even get into the router. everytime I try, the damn thing never connects or it asks me to log on to the internet. but when i did go into it, i did notice the ips the same but it wouldnt let me change them. everytime i tried to, it would say "Setting Successful" then go back to the main screen and it would be like i never changed it. URG!!
post #9 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 12:56 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Not sure if it's the same where you live but you may have to register your MAC addresss. Also make sure PPPoE is enadled and that you have saved your user id and password given to you from your ISP. Also, you should not have to install any software on your PC.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 1:28 PM Thread Starter

when i put the password in to log on to the dsl modem? should i put it in windows or in the router? i tried the router and it kept making the password area blank after it said settings successfull
post #11 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 1:45 PM

Quote:
when i put the password in to log on to the dsl modem? should i put it in windows or in the router? i tried the router and it kept making the password area blank after it said settings successfull
Your user id and password need to be entered into the router and saved. Once you save the password you should see a bunch of **'s to conceal your true password. Once you have done this you can check to see if your router has picked up an IP from your provider, go to the Status tab and look for the WAN address.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 1:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2b954
Your user id and password need to be entered into the router and saved. Once you save the password you should see a bunch of **'s to conceal your true password. Once you have done this you can check to see if your router has picked up an IP from your provider, go to the Status tab and look for the WAN address.
I did that but it isnt picking up a new ip. how do you check what your lans ip is and the wans ip?
post #13 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 1:59 PM

Quote:
I did that but it isnt picking up a new ip. how do you check what your lans ip is and the wans ip?
That's ok if you don't get a new IP (as long as your getting one that does not start with 169.) I go for months sometimes with the same IP. From the status tab you should be able to see WAN and LAN address. For LAN you can also do an ipconfig from Win 2000 and XP or winipcfg in 98.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 7:50 PM

after changing the ips on the devices......lets see....you used a browser to connect to it......delete your internet files out of the browser EVERY TIME!!

if you changed the ips make sure your pc is in the same ip network to make the connection. if all else fails there is usally a reset button on the devices to go back to defaults.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 8:15 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs

Here we are running 8-Meg modems that run PPPoE. I set up most of the Modem/Routers (ours are both) as a bridge if the customer has their own router. Once the Modem/Router is set to a bridge, the Customers Router does all the PPPoE. Infact, thats what I have here at home. a Linksys 4 port wireless router doing PPPoE. I made the LAN address of my Modem/router different then the one of the linksys....pretty much everything comes through with 192.168.1.1, and that can make it complex getting into the device. If you still have major issues, give me a PM or something, and I will see what I can do for you! Maybe give you a call, and we can go through it on the phone...much easier.

To see what IP you have just go into your command promp:

Start...Run...*type* command or cmd...enter.

Dos screen will come up....(make sure your on your C: or home drive.)
*type* ipconfig /all

That will give you pretty much everything your looking for on an XP machine.

Team Honda - well sorta...

Last edited by showmethebombs; 02-17-2004 at 8:22 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page