24 Hours of Adrenalin at Laguna Seca - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 05-28-2003, 3:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: 24 Hours of Adrenalin at Laguna Seca

I've traded PM's with a couple guys here into mt bikes, so I figured that though this is a Fireblade board, some of you may find this interesting. *

The group of guys I normally ride mt bikes with are all racers. *They decided they wanted to do this event called the 24 Hours of Adrenalin down at Laguna Seca, and needed another victim so, I was invited.(Maybe the fact I have a nice EZ up was part of their reasoning. ) *Now, I'm a relative newbie to mt bikes having only ridden seriously for a few months, but I figured what the heck. *It was a cool event, our team did 23 laps of the 10.5 mi course in 24 hours. *We finished 22nd out of 41 teams in class. *If anyone out there has ever considered a mt bike race, do it. *It's very laid back, mellow and fun. *At least compared to motorcycling. *We all loved it and will be doing more endurance races.

Here's a couple of pics of me at the height of my pain Sunday morning on my last lap. *I can't believe how upright my bike is in the berm! *How embarassing, a roadracer getting smoked by a bicyclist on lean angle.

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts....just=-1
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts....just=-1

Edit: Their server is getting pounded, so the pics might not load.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-28-2003, 3:32 PM

How do you guys get past the stringent new Laguna Seca noise ordinances?

post #3 of 15 Old 05-28-2003, 3:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
2OHOH2954 : How do you guys get past the stringent new Laguna Seca noise ordinances?

No refried beans before the race.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-28-2003, 3:38 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Congrats dude, sounds like a helluva accomplishment just finishing, that's a lot of pedaling. The photo link doesn't work though, said something about not hosting them, dunno. I'm sure I'll give it a shot one of these days, I'll add that to the list of stuff to do before I die.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-28-2003, 3:41 PM

Quote:
luvtolean : Quote (2OHOH2954 @ May 28 2003, 2:32pm)How do you guys get past the stringent new Laguna Seca noise ordinances?

No refried beans before the race.
Ooooh, IC

post #6 of 15 Old 05-28-2003, 3:48 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, they worked earlier, but they got slower and slower and now just don't work. I don't think the guy's server had the bandwidth for the volume he was getting.

I forgot to mention, we had a 5 man team. The first 3 guys got 5 laps, the other two of us got 4.

The milage wasn't too bad considering. The hardest part is convincing yourself to get out of your sleeping bag at 2:00AM and go ride a bike. Keeping enough food and fluid down, without upsetting the stomach is a trick too. I saw a few people puking off the side of the trail Including warm up riding I probably only rode 55-60 miles in the 24 hours. For comparison, last night after work we rode 30 without any real breaks.

One of the funnest parts of the course was jumping down the stairs of the bridge that crosses the track between turns 4 and 5.

post #7 of 15 Old 05-28-2003, 4:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yeah, I was into mtn bike racing almost ten years ago. Back when the full suspension revolution was starting, and they all sucked. I never did any 24 hour races, but some of the racing down in the Moab area would kick our @sses in the few hours they took.
Mountain biking is a LOT of fun, and laid back for the most part, but some of the pros and elites (if the classes are still the same) can make events suck donkey.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-28-2003, 4:13 PM

Reputation Power: 20

I have 11 years of road bicycle racing experience under my belt. It's what got me interested in motorcycles. I decided I wasn't able to train enough to be competitive after I graduated college. I have done a few mountain bike races as well but never really got into them. I don't trust dirt. I used to smoke all the out of shape mountain bikers up the hills and then they would fly by me on the downhills. I don't know what kind of laid back races you guys have done on mountain bikes but the ones I did were basically like 2 to 3 hours of constant pain, a long time trial. Most road bicycle races are like 30 minutes of pain at a time but it's more intense during that time.
I have yet to ride my motorcycle at Laguna Seca but I have raced my road bicycle on that course many times. That hill is a lot more formidable when you have to lug your own fat arse up it 20 times or so I'm sure. Fun stuff. I love bicycles!

-Shrub

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-28-2003, 5:52 PM Thread Starter

Hehe, being a 24 hour race, I'm told it's much different than a 'normal' race. Most people consider just finishing to be a win. I could tell tons of stories about how cool competitors were, about the jokes cracked on the trail while racing and how other competitors stop to help people with broken bikes.

The course never hits the pavement, only bridges over it. (They ran an open track day for cages while we were there) It was pretty much the Sea Otter race course, with a couple of changes. Lap times were only about an hour for myself.

I've ridden dirt bikes for years, so being on dirt doesn't bother me. You just have to get used to the bike sliding around.

post #10 of 15 Old 05-28-2003, 5:59 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 32

That's cool ltl. I've be busting a lung after the first 10 minutes. I've been thinking about getting a mountain bike to help train for racing. Need to get my fat ass in shape!

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #11 of 15 Old 05-28-2003, 6:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

LTL - that's cool that all the competitors treated each other well. I've seen some pretty mean stuff at other races in the past, I'm glad there's some grown-ups on bikes somewhere.

TB - when you feel that lung busting at ten minutes, just push it another two minutes. The euphoria felt after breaking through your first wall is amazing. That was seriously one of the more enjoyable parts of biking to me. Of course, you end up being dog tired in the end anyway.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-28-2003, 6:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
BDA116 : TB - when you feel that lung busting at ten minutes, just push it another two minutes. The euphoria felt after breaking through your first wall is amazing. That was seriously one of the more enjoyable parts of biking to me. Of course, you end up being dog tired in the end anyway.
Yep yep. That's just the endorphins getting started. Which is important, because as often as I fall off my bike, it's nice to already have some pain killers flowing.

post #13 of 15 Old 05-29-2003, 12:34 AM

Congrats on finishing! I too am very much into both mountain and road biking, along with riding the 'Blade. Every night this time of year it's a tough choice between the three. Usually it's Monday night golf league, Tuesday night mountain biking, Wednesday motorcycling, Thursday road biking, Friday motorcycling again, and then all four (including golf) on the weekend. I love summer!

Got a cool mountain bike too - Cannondale Jekyll 2000 with the 'Lefty' front fork and Hayes disc brakes front and rear.
post #14 of 15 Old 05-29-2003, 12:56 AM

Good job...
post #15 of 15 Old 05-30-2003, 1:21 AM
Jay

Hey, hey ,hey, not bad at all!

I am jealous!
Glad to see they brought you on board, I knew you were wondering for awhile.

Hey, shouldn't that be on OLN or something?
How much did it cost to race as a team?
I know that 24hrs of SnowShoe is like 1K or something.(per team).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page