puter question....... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-20-2004, 9:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via AIM to dingoRR Send a message via Yahoo to dingoRR
puter question.......

a couple weeks ago me and the woman went out and bought a new computer, 2.8ghz P4, 800mhz bus, 1gb of PC3200 DDR, Radeon 9200 vid card etc etc.... well, it came with a 120gb hard drive, and i took the 80 gig out of my old puter and stuck it in here as a slave, so i wouldnt have to bother with transferring files, i've got a LOT of videos and music. anyhoo, i get America's Army downloaded and put on here, and a couple other games installed, and all of a sudden a window pops up telling me i'm out of disk space, i look, and the 120 gig hard drive in here is partitioned, into EISA, C:, and D:...... one problem, the C: partition is only 13 gigs..... and its full. is there ANY way i can enlarge my C: partition without having to wipe my drive and start over? this machine didnt come with a recovery disk of any sort, i guess the EISA partition contains all the recovery info? and if something does take a dump, and i have to reformat, what happens to the EISA partition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-20-2004, 10:27 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Re: puter question.......

I would recommend you leave the C: drive the size it is. Uninstall the games and move the movies and music to the D: drive. Reinstall the games and programs, but change the install directory to d:\program files\whatever.

This way you don't change the drive partitions and the games and data are stored on a different partition from your system. Problem is that most people take the defaults on the installation and it wants to go to c: As you can see, this doesn't work for long with the size of programs around nowadays.

If you really have to change the size of the c: partition, use Partition Magic. Whatever the latest version is. Remember though, there is a chance you can really pooch the system doing this.

Keith
post #3 of 5 Old 02-20-2004, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

see.... same thing another person told me..... but all my movies and music are on the hard drive i put in, which is E: .. the 13 gigs that are filled up are all programs. i tried moving one of my games to the D: drive, into a program files folder, and it wouldnt accept it, i even went as far as to uninstall it, then tried re-installing it to D:\program files, and it wouldnt even start installing.

original hard drive EISA*C:*D:*
old hard drive E:

i have partition magic, just sniffing out all my options before i revert to it. but my main concern is the EISA..... if something happens, and i need to reload windows, if the hard drive is screwed up..... im up sh1t creek without a paddle, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-21-2004, 12:02 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Don't touch the EISA partition when repartitioning. Resize the D: Drive first, then reboot. If it comes up fine, go in and increase the size of the c: partition. If you are using XP, get the latest version of Partition Magic. Trying to resize the newer OS with an older PM is looking for problems. I know, everyone will say that they did it without any trouble. I have done a lot of PCs without any problems whatsoever. I also pooched a laptop for a client one time, doing everything right. so it does happen.

Good luck with it.

Keith
post #5 of 5 Old 03-17-2004, 9:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_929
Don't touch the EISA partition when repartitioning. Resize the D: Drive first, then reboot. If it comes up fine, go in and increase the size of the c: partition. If you are using XP, get the latest version of Partition Magic. Trying to resize the newer OS with an older PM is looking for problems. I know, everyone will say that they did it without any trouble. I have done a lot of PCs without any problems whatsoever. I also pooched a laptop for a client one time, doing everything right. so it does happen.

Good luck with it.

Keith
i forgot all about this, i used PM 8.0, worked like a charm, now i have a 40 gb C: and a 70 gb D:, although, the 90 min it took to resize them was the longest 90 min of my life

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page