Further Erosion of the 1st Ammendment - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Politics Discussion of Politics. Heated discussions are expected with this subject matter. If you don't have a thick skin, stay away. If you would like to block posts from this forum, see here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 08-24-2006, 3:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Further Erosion of the 1st Ammendment

Oh the slippery slope on which we slide.... apparently wearing a shirt with Arabic writing on it makes you a threat to others.

Link Here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 08-24-2006, 3:25 PM

Reputation Power: 42

Re: Further Erosion of the 1st Ammendment

Interesting story worth a read. (and subsequent verification)

But is this really "further erosion of the 1st amendment" or just an inflammatory thread title ...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #3 of 46 Old 08-24-2006, 3:26 PM

I am a English only supporter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 Old 08-24-2006, 3:30 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via MSN to Repeater

Sucks. Seems pretty stupid absolutly no common sense from the other passengers, feds, and especially Jet blue. I would have expected more from the feds and the way they talked to him. not very profesional. trying to threaten him.

I do believe we should do dome type of profiling it is just stupid not to but if the person checks out after the secoundary screening let them be.

Aliens general, everything about them is alien!
post #5 of 46 Old 08-24-2006, 3:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baketech View Post

But is this really "further erosion of the 1st amendment" or just an inflammatory thread title ...
If government agents are approaching you tell you to remove your shirt because it is in Arabic, woulnd't you call that a violation of your 1st Ammendment right to free speech? People are saying it was offensive... OK, well part of free speech is having the stomach to deal with what others may be saying that you may not want to hear.

If it was the JetBlue employee stating that the Airline was going to refuse service, that is their right as far as I know. If they wanted to work it out between the customer and themselves, fine. In fact, it would seem that the JetBlue employee was doing a stand-up job in that regard.

As soon as they have the government doing it for them, we have a problem.
post #6 of 46 Old 08-24-2006, 3:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

The first amendment protects inflammatory thread titles, you fascist moderator.

post #7 of 46 Old 08-24-2006, 3:36 PM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

What if it said "Witness Protection Program" in Arabic? Because that would be pretty clever.

And then there's this asshole...
post #8 of 46 Old 08-24-2006, 3:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRVFR View Post
post #9 of 46 Old 08-24-2006, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
If government agents are approaching you tell you to remove your shirt because it is in Arabic, woulnd't you call that a violation of your 1st Ammendment right to free speech? People are saying it was offensive... OK, well part of free speech is having the stomach to deal with what others may be saying that you may not want to hear.
Yes, a violation, but that's not what you called it...

You called it an "erosion", and as we both know, that's two different things. I get your whole "defender of the constitution" persona thing...but in this case, being inflammatory doesn't really serve your cause to bring debate to the issue does it...

As an aside, I'm having trouble veryifying this story. Any help would be appreciated.

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #10 of 46 Old 08-24-2006, 4:20 PM

Quote:
That should be indignant...it might possibly have been fascist had I changed it...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
post #11 of 46 Old 08-24-2006, 4:26 PM

Reputation Power: 21

Quote:

Hmm, pretty big words for a guy from Ann Arbor.

Actually, if you had a giant F_ck You on your T-shirt the reaction would be similar. It is unfortunate that Arabic script would create such a fuss, but it is just an unfortunate sign of the times.

The actions of the airport personnel do sound reasonable, they did purchase a new T-shirt for him, and he could probably have not taken and gotten his money back from the flight if he was bothered that much. Many people have made far greater sacrifices to protect freedoms like our first ammendment rights

Besides, what do you get when you cross and Arab with a camel?

You don't get anything. There are some things a camel just won't do.
post #12 of 46 Old 08-24-2006, 4:26 PM

Quote:
If government agents are approaching you tell you to remove your shirt
I'm still skeptical that this happened as described, but I'll suspend my doubt momentarily for the sake of argument...

Where did he state that the "men" were government agents?

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
post #13 of 46 Old 08-24-2006, 4:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, a violation, but that's not what you called it...

You called it an "erosion", and as we both know, that's two different things. I get your whole "defender of the constitution" persona thing...but in this case, being inflammatory doesn't really serve your cause to bring debate to the issue does it...
I would think that this is one violation in a process of erosion. Does that sound OK? The thread title does say Futher Erosion. Erosion happens over time.

OK, enough with the "did he use the right word" deal.

Oh, and by the way, I am not sure what my "Defender of the Constitution Persona Thing" is, I just happen to have a strong opinion that the government has no right being involved with my business, and has limited powers to that effect. These powers and limits are defined in the Constitution, and I don't like it when the government steps on them.

Quote:
As an aside, I'm having trouble veryifying this story. Any help would be appreciated.
I too have been looking for further proof. He did an interview on Democracy Now, where he mentions the ACLU is working on it for him. However, the ACLU doesn't mention it on their site. Mr. Jarrar also says he does not know exactly who the "government agents" were, although he says he has their badge numbers. Every badge I have seen has a title on there, such as "Los Angeles Police Department" or "U.S. Marshal". So I don't know what to make of that.

It could also be that the ACLU is preparing a case and doesn't want to talk about it yet, which could also be why we haven't seen anything else about it, as the ACLU lawyers may have told him not to speak to anyone about it until they file the suit.

JetBlue has nothing on their press releases page, but why would they?

But these are all theories in my little mind... who knows what is really going on.
post #14 of 46 Old 08-24-2006, 5:03 PM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

Quote:
It sucks to be an Arab/Muslim living in the US these days. When you go to the middle east, you are a US tax-payer destroying people's houses with your money, and when you come back to the US, you are a suspected terrorist and plane hijacker.
Here is a list of heroes to thank for that:

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Press Release

And then there's this asshole...
post #15 of 46 Old 08-24-2006, 8:44 PM

Quote:
I would think that this is one violation in a process of erosion. Does that sound OK? The thread title does say Futher Erosion. Erosion happens over time.
OK, enough with the "did he use the right word" deal.
Not so fast...there's a nuance there that you understand very well or you wouldn't have worded the title the way you did...
The story you linked (if it is true) is an example of someone's rights being violated. If the story had been about a court ruling upholding the alleged actions, then that would have been an erosion of the 1st amendment.

I'm just pointing out that while I think a lot of people (present company included) enjoy your inciteful opinions, it doesn't serve you well to sensationalize.... You are quite capable of stirring thought and discourse without shouting fire in a crowded movie theater...

Quote:
Oh, and by the way, I am not sure what my "Defender of the Constitution Persona Thing" is, I just happen to have a strong opinion that the government has no right being involved with my business, and has limited powers to that effect. These powers and limits are defined in the Constitution, and I don't like it when the government steps on them.
I think a good percentage of people agree with that....however the story you link does not provide a good example that the government did any such thing.

Quote:
I too have been looking for further proof. He did an interview on Democracy Now, where he mentions the ACLU is working on it for him. However, the ACLU doesn't mention it on their site. Mr. Jarrar also says he does not know exactly who the "government agents" were, although he says he has their badge numbers. Every badge I have seen has a title on there, such as "Los Angeles Police Department" or "U.S. Marshal". So I don't know what to make of that.

It could also be that the ACLU is preparing a case and doesn't want to talk about it yet, which could also be why we haven't seen anything else about it, as the ACLU lawyers may have told him not to speak to anyone about it until they file the suit.

JetBlue has nothing on their press releases page, but why would they?

But these are all theories in my little mind... who knows what is really going on.
My bet is on BS until I see it verified... Read his stuff, this guy has an axe to grind and I don't see a single scrap of news that supports this story....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Politics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page