A violation of freedom of speech? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Politics Discussion of Politics. Heated discussions are expected with this subject matter. If you don't have a thick skin, stay away. If you would like to block posts from this forum, see here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-30-2006, 4:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

A violation of freedom of speech?

The stupidity that is the TSA really bugs me, and that they are allowed to make insane rules in the name of security and hire people that have trouble just buttoning a shirt in the morning makes it even worse.

I have been following this story about the TSA for a couple of days and it really pisses me off that the TSA is allowed to do whatever they want in the name of "security".

Original story was posted on a popular frequent flyer site.

the poster relates in full here:
"I was detained for about 25 minutes today after passing though the TSA checkpoint at MKE terminal E."

Later it made national news.

This really bugs me since I spend as much time in a plane/airport as some people do working each year. I guess it is too much to ask for my security and First Amendment Rights be protected at the same time at an airport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-30-2006, 5:21 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via MSN to Repeater
Re: A violation of freedom of speech?

imagine if it was writen in arabic. I think the guy was an asshat. we have enoff security issues to deal with. if i was on a patrol and a guy had a **** the coast gaurd shirt on i would make sure to check every space on his boat. hell i might need to take it in and poke around with a sawzaw, holesaw, and what ever i could find to look for that gram of crack he may be smuggling.

I don't agree with the way the tsa handled the situation, but if your trying to be a protaganist your going to get what you ask for.

Aliens general, everything about them is alien!
post #3 of 14 Old 09-30-2006, 6:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
imagine if it was writen in arabic. I think the guy was an asshat. we have enoff security issues to deal with. if i was on a patrol and a guy had a **** the coast gaurd shirt on i would make sure to check every space on his boat. hell i might need to take it in and poke around with a sawzaw, holesaw, and what ever i could find to look for that gram of crack he may be smuggling.

I don't agree with the way the tsa handled the situation, but if your trying to be a protaganist your going to get what you ask for.
That is a shame that you think that. What security "issue" was he making that causes them a problem to deal with? He wrote that the TSA director was an idiot, why do you need to react to that as a supposed professional? I Know the TSA people aren't pros but lets just assume they might be. He didn't say he had a bomb or anything he just said that Kip Hawley was an idiot which I believe he is.

I guess according to you we can't make political statements anymore and that is sad, I once lived in this country called America where you could.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-30-2006, 6:45 AM

Reputation Power: 42

Exactly why is this a first amendment issue....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #5 of 14 Old 09-30-2006, 6:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baketech View Post
Exactly why is this a first amendment issue....

Being detained for saying Kip Hawley is an Idiot, first by the TSA and then the Local Police. Sure it was a short period of time but what if you were detained the second you staked a political sign into your lawn...
post #6 of 14 Old 09-30-2006, 7:03 AM

Reputation Power: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRider View Post
Being detained for saying Kip Hawley is an Idiot, first by the TSA and then the Local Police.
But he didn't "say" anything...
From the content and method, it seems more like an issue of libel rather than of free speech...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRider View Post
Sure it was a short period of time but what if you were detained the second you staked a political sign into your lawn...
These two situations are so far apart that the comparison is rediculous to me...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #7 of 14 Old 09-30-2006, 10:56 AM

Yes, the TSA makes up the rules as they go along. Their "rules" are so open, they can stop anyone, for anything, at any time.

This was not about LIBEL. That is utter bullshit, and you know it Bake. He was released after it was determined writing a truth on his toiletries bag "wasn't a threat to national security".

It was about a group of people, with extremely minimal standards and training that are given more power than a police officer who makes a traffic stop, abusing power.

The government and the TSA expect this. That's why one of their rules is making any comment about a TSA employee can get you in trouble, it's the first rule they list on their signs.

As I put forward in my Terrorists Winning thread, unpopular agencies like the TSA are exactly why Bin Laden did what he did. A couple of water bottles of materials that theoretically could make a bomb were put on a plane recently for the same reason. Making our government less popular.

Bush has never hesistated to put ever more draconian "national security measures" on us...and thus, the terrorists really are winning.

post #8 of 14 Old 09-30-2006, 11:14 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

But IS Kip Hawley and idiot

Must obey the sheep dog
post #9 of 14 Old 09-30-2006, 11:19 AM

Rather than being rude, the guy should have carried on one of these:

Suspicious Looking Device
post #10 of 14 Old 09-30-2006, 2:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue View Post
But IS Kip Hawley and idiot
Well he is the Director of the TSA and many of their rules are utter bullshit that do nothing to keep people safe.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-30-2006, 3:16 PM

All this probably caused by non english speaking TSA employees.
Seems everytime I go to the airport, most of the TSA employees barely speak english...
post #12 of 14 Old 09-30-2006, 4:54 PM

LAND OF THE FREE!?
post #13 of 14 Old 10-01-2006, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean View Post

Bush has never hesistated to put ever more draconian "national security measures" on us...and thus, the terrorists really are winning.
Still baffled as to why most folks around here thought he was the next best thing to Jessica Alba's ass a couple of years ago. If we were all on a plane and he was flying it.......the plane would hit the ground and explode before some would wake up to the fact that the guy is an idiot and one of the worst presidents our country has ever had. He doesn't have enough sense to pour piss out of a boot.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-01-2006, 11:48 AM

I don't think many did.

The real argument centered around he was better than Kerry.

At the time I definitely believed it.

Now, I am not so sure.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Politics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page