Congress starts screwing with the National Airspace System - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Politics Discussion of Politics. Heated discussions are expected with this subject matter. If you don't have a thick skin, stay away. If you would like to block posts from this forum, see here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Congress starts screwing with the National Airspace System

No, No NO!!!

FAA reviews long-criticized Manhattan flight path - CNN.com

Can congress go ONE DAY without screwing something up? I don't see how they think having Lidle's plane talking to Air Traffic Controllers would have fixed anything. He would still have crashed! In fact, I would feel less safe if everyone is talking to ATC, that adds a significant amount of workload to the pilot.

They talk about loading a plane with chemical or biological weapons. First, these small GA planes can only carry so much weight. Second, a pickup truck (or delivery van for that matter) could drive right through manhattan and directly expose thousands of people from the ground rather anonymously. Why do it from a plane where people are already tracking your movement, and where you are far away from the population?

I suppose it's mid-term election time. I just hope the FAA is smart enough to make some noise about it then forget about it in a few months.

Last edited by navydevildoc; 10-13-2006 at 11:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 11:19 AM

Reputation Power: 42

Re: Congress starts screwing with the National Airspace System

Been following that, and hope that the FAA does a review and decides to leave it alone...

Fwiw, I think this is how the system is supposed to work...the people raise questions, and their representatives push them up the hill.

Hopefully though, their conclusion will not change the current restrictions...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #3 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 11:21 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
No, No NO!!!

FAA reviews long-criticized Manhattan flight path - CNN.com

Can congress go ONE DAY without screwing something up? I don't see how they think having Lidle's plane talking to Air Traffic Controllers would have fixed anything. He would still have crashed! In fact, I would feel less safe if everyone is talking to ATC, that adds a significant amount of workload to the pilot.

They talk about loading a plane with chemical or biological weapons. First, these small GA planes can only carry so much weight. Second, a pickup truck (or delivery van for that matter) could drive right through manhattan and directly expose thousands of people from the ground rather anonymously. Why do it from a plane where people are already tracking your movement, and where you are far away from the population?

I suppose it's mid-term election time. I just hope the FAA is smart enough to make some noise about it then forget about it in a few months.
recess

Must obey the sheep dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baketech View Post
Been following that, and hope that the FAA does a review and decides to leave it alone...

Fwiw, I think this is how the system is supposed to work...the people raise questions, and their representatives push them up the hill.

I totally agree with you...but at times you can't help but understand Hamilton when he said the masses are asses...

post #5 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean View Post
...but at times you can't help but understand Hamilton when he said the masses are asses...
Yes, and it was far better than sending them lurid emails...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #6 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 11:32 AM

You been repped...

post #7 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baketech View Post

Yeah, you are right, this is how the system is supposed to work.

It's still frustrating.
post #8 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 11:40 AM

Totally... the situation falls into the "terrorists win" category if you ask me...

I hate to be insensitive, but the whole hubub over this crash seems rediculous. Yes it was a bad accident, but no worse than several truck/car crashes that happened during the same period...

This one just captured the imagination because it was a smoking building and a famous victim...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
post #9 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 12:30 PM

Reputation Power: 21

I'm a bit surprised it hasn't happened, as GA (general aviation) is such an easy target. Heck, even the (mostly) intelligent and articulate members of this board don't know very much about it, based on what I have seen in the past (no insult of any kind intended). Things you don't know about are vilified simply.

This accident illustrates to me just how safe a major city like New York is from GA aircraft. This is one of the worst accidents imaginable, a small fast aircraft (Cirrus are among the fastest) hitting a high-rise apartment building. Yet the damage consisted of a fire that was put out in 45 minutes and no casualties outside of the pilots. And believe me, the river corridors in New York are extremely difficult places to fly because there are a lot of airplanes and even more regulations.

The concern has been terrorists, but they can easily do their bit with cars and vans, and so far have stayed away from GA. That's not to say they couldn't, but I suspect they'll stick to more destructive means until their options run out, as GA aircraft are complex, take more training than ground vehicles, and are less destructive.
post #10 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingar View Post
I'm a bit surprised it hasn't happened, as GA (general aviation) is such an easy target. Heck, even the (mostly) intelligent and articulate members of this board don't know very much about it, based on what I have seen in the past (no insult of any kind intended). Things you don't know about are vilified simply.
You mean like guns.

post #11 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingar View Post
The difference is twofold.

1) The average general aviation enthusiast is educated and has money. This equals power in Washington.

2) In this particular case, we have AOPA. They do an excellent job at fending off things like "permanent" TFRs, expanding ADIZs, ATC User Fees, and getting implementation of next-gen safety ehancing technologies like WAAS and the LPV approaches that go with them, ADS/B, LLWS detectors, etc, etc, etc. They also know the subject matter better than anyone else, and know how to make the case to Congress, the FAA, and NTSB to get things done.
post #12 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 1:05 PM

Reputation Power: 21

Agree big time, which is why I continue my membership. I still think the New York VFR corridors are an endangered species. It is a pity; although I haven't had the chance to fly them yet I've heard that the view is spectacular. One accident in many years just doesn't sound that dangerous to me.
post #13 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 2:01 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

I might be an outsider looking in here, but Im missing entirely how the communication to ATC from the "GA" folks is going to make the city safer.

why put off today what you can wake up late and forget to do tomorrow.

GPS Discussion Forums - Don't ask, know
post #14 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 2:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeStrangeGuy View Post
I might be an outsider looking in here, but Im missing entirely how the communication to ATC from the "GA" folks is going to make the city safer.
It doesn't. In fact, it could be argued that it makes them less safe because of looking outside for other aircraft, they now have to pay attention to ATC, and in a crowded airspace environment such as NYC, that's a full-time job.
post #15 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 2:35 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
It doesn't. In fact, it could be argued that it makes them less safe because of looking outside for other aircraft, they now have to pay attention to ATC, and in a crowded airspace environment such as NYC, that's a full-time job.
Thanks NDD, thats what I was thinking...isn't NY a busy enough place as is?

why put off today what you can wake up late and forget to do tomorrow.

GPS Discussion Forums - Don't ask, know

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Politics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page