Iraq Violence = Tet Offensive? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Politics Discussion of Politics. Heated discussions are expected with this subject matter. If you don't have a thick skin, stay away. If you would like to block posts from this forum, see here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-19-2006, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Iraq Violence = Tet Offensive?

I am sitting here getting ready to go to work this morning, and have CNN Headline News on the TV. They have a segment come on where they are talking about Iraq violence. Iraqis are now dying at a rate of 46 a day, and a rash of bombings have killed a bunch of US servicemen.

They cut to President Bush, who then compares the recent Iraq violence to the Tet Offensive. Which, "shook the American Public's confidence in the government's ability to win the war".

Now, I wasn't alive when Vietnam was taking place, but I do believe we didn't win that war, and we did end up "cutting and running".

I also don't believe that President Bush has bad speechwriters. So I am having a real hard time figuring out what the hell is going on here. Why in the world would they make a comparison to Vietnam when they have been doing everything they can to make sure that comparison isn't made?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-19-2006, 10:46 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Re: Iraq Violence = Tet Offensive?

Good question...I disagree though...Bush has bad speech writers. His speeches are filled with slogans and very little substance IMHO.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-19-2006, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

He was asked by letfy Stephanopoulos if an opinion article in the NYT comparing the violence to the Tet Offensive was accurate.
He stated that the writer "could be right" and that like the Tet Offensive, there is current stepped-up violence heading into an election.
He didn't compare the whole conflict to Vietnam, nor did he make any real comparisons to the Tet Offensive. He responded to a specific question from a specific reporter about a specific article.

Oh yeah, and since the comparison was ONLY to the Tet Offensive and not the entire Vietnam war, anyone remember who won the Tet Offensive?

Last edited by BDA116; 10-19-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-19-2006, 11:01 AM

I think if the pres had better advisors, confidence in him and in the country as whole, would be better. There is alot that is better off left unsaid. Somethings said can become a self fullfilling prophesy. <sp?>
post #5 of 6 Old 10-19-2006, 11:24 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

If my memory is correct I think he is referencing the fact that WE WON the Tet Offensive and nearly crushed the north but the media protrayed it as a loss and public support wained in the face of a massive negative media campaign thus handing the north victory.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #6 of 6 Old 10-19-2006, 11:38 AM

The media handed the North the victory?

No.

We won every significant battle in Vietnam. But we lost the war. You don't lose the war based on media.

We lost Vietnam because American politicians screwed up when they decided to fight there. The "domino theory" they were really fighting didn't apply in Vietnam...therefore, there was no way to win that one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Politics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page