Some interesting economic numbers - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Politics Discussion of Politics. Heated discussions are expected with this subject matter. If you don't have a thick skin, stay away. If you would like to block posts from this forum, see here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-19-2006, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Some interesting economic numbers

Prosperity Amid the Gloom - washingtonpost.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-19-2006, 12:26 PM

Re: Some interesting economic numbers

Some of Will's numbers are dubious, or at least, misleading, and his own politicking at the end is kinda annoying, but some interesting numbers therein....

post #3 of 12 Old 10-19-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
say annual wage growth since 2000 has been 0.6 percent, but the annual increase in real hourly compensation, including benefits -- and if you do not include them, why are they called benefits ? -- has been 1.3 percent.

And during the same period the rate of inflation averaged close to 4%, meaning we got a "real" pay decrease of 3% a year. Not to mention many companies have downsized their work force, meaning those left get to work longer hours, for the same salary, to make up.

Quote:
America is "now outsourcing college-education jobs to India."
We've already done that. All of our IT is now out of Inda ... it looks like "Little India" downstairs as we have several located here for training and working on processes to take back. And don't forget China and Mexico, we are moving engineering and CAD/CAE to those locations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-19-2006, 2:27 PM

George F. Will is a moron and an elitist.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-20-2006, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt702 View Post

And during the same period the rate of inflation averaged close to 4%, meaning we got a "real" pay decrease of 3% a year. Not to mention many companies have downsized their work force, meaning those left get to work longer hours, for the same salary, to make up.

We've already done that. All of our IT is now out of Inda ... it looks like "Little India" downstairs as we have several located here for training and working on processes to take back. And don't forget China and Mexico, we are moving engineering and CAD/CAE to those locations.
I am an engineer for a huge corporation. We now have a HUGE design facility in India with something like 4000 engineers - all with at least BSME's most with MSME's - all working for peanuts. Every year more and more design responsibility goes to them. So far everything they send back is totally and completely f*%(ed so we end up redesigning it anyway, but it's only a matter of time before they get their **** together. I hope to be doing something totally different by then.

Sorry for the off topic rant.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-20-2006, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycrash View Post
I am an engineer for a huge corporation. We now have a HUGE design facility in India with something like 4000 engineers - all with at least BSME's most with MSME's - all working for peanuts. Every year more and more design responsibility goes to them. So far everything they send back is totally and completely f*%(ed so we end up redesigning it anyway, but it's only a matter of time before they get their **** together. I hope to be doing something totally different by then.

Sorry for the off topic rant.
It isn't confined to India. I have a couple of large machine tool manufacturing clients that are both part of large German corporate structures. Everything that comes in from the Deutchland "engineers" needs to be completely redesigned, re-engineered and rebuilt. Then corporate tags all of the cost overruns to the US subsidiary so their bottom line still looks good.

I would question all of those BSME & MSME credentials, as typically they won't translate into an associate drafting degree in the U.S.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-20-2006, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech View Post
I would question all of those BSME & MSME credentials, as typically they won't translate into an associate drafting degree in the U.S.
Yep, outside a couple of universities in India...it's nowhere close.

post #8 of 12 Old 10-20-2006, 7:03 PM

Reputation Power: 18

I too am suspicious of Will's numbers in his article. And yes, no mention of inflation and no mention of cost of those benefits. I don't know about you all but my medical insurance has risen a good 10% per year out of my pocket.

And I too have seen the results of outsourcing items to foreign, low wage, engineering houses. As others have said. Everything that comes back, when it does come back, is ****ed up and has to be reworked. And of course the reworks are done by a skeleton crews here in the states that are underpaid and overworked.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-20-2006, 7:11 PM

To those that complain about outsourcing, do you think the government should do something about it?

post #10 of 12 Old 10-20-2006, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean View Post
To those that complain about outsourcing, do you think the government should do something about it?
Good question. The government should definitely pass legislation that benefits this country over others. And benefits the populace over corporations. Trade agreements that give the U.S. the upperhand should
be the norm. Unfortunately too many of these trade deals are made to
benefit those signing the laws and their buddies.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-21-2006, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaim View Post
Good question. The government should definitely pass legislation that benefits this country over others. And benefits the populace over corporations. Trade agreements that give the U.S. the upperhand should
be the norm. Unfortunately too many of these trade deals are made to
benefit those signing the laws and their buddies.
I have to say that I agree with this post.
But I don't think that all the focus should be on gov to make it happen.
The government is big enough, the populace needs to bear their share of the responsibility. Support those companies who don't outsource. We all think that cheap goods are great, but is it worth weakening our country's economy?

Conquer yourself rather than the world.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-21-2006, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelover View Post
I have to say that I agree with this post.
But I don't think that all the focus should be on gov to make it happen.
The government is big enough, the populace needs to bear their share of the responsibility. Support those companies who don't outsource. We all think that cheap goods are great, but is it worth weakening our country's economy?
It would be nice to be able to support companies that do not outsource or buy products that have deflated prices just to push out the competition. But sometimes you can't. Does your phone company outsourse? Does your city government outsource? Do you buy products for your bike that aren't made in this country and probably in China?

I am not suggesting to increase government only to have government do their job and look out for the American populace first. The thing that really gets me is when people who support outsourcing say it will strengthen the economy and the country down the line. But then they never give an example of how that will happen. What those that support outsourcing are really saying is, "Outsourcing will help corporations which will then help stock earnings. That helps America...right?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Politics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page