Democrats take House...Senate next? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Politics Discussion of Politics. Heated discussions are expected with this subject matter. If you don't have a thick skin, stay away. If you would like to block posts from this forum, see here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 76 Old 11-08-2006, 6:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

Democrats take House...Senate next?

I won't bother linking to any particular story. We've all heard by now. Just go to CNN.com. This'll be the first time since 1994 the Democrats have control of the House. What happens if Democrats take the Senate? We'll swing the one-party control from one side to the other...is this a good thing? I'm not so sure.

"Hey Johnny what're you rebelling against?"
"Whaddya got?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 11-08-2006, 8:03 AM

Reputation Power: 42

Re: Democrats take House...Senate next?

Gridlock is good....our system works best that way, and it was time to put on the brakes.

This is how it's supposed to work...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #3 of 76 Old 11-08-2006, 8:05 AM

Reputation Power: 0

You will still have a Republican administration in power.

They've got the House so at least we have the hope of checks and balances coming back to the United States instead of this 2 bit dictatorship that Bush and his administration have tried to pull. I'm tired of watching power being moved to the executive branch as they trounce on the Constitution.

Our freedoms are being eradicated. Our country is doubling our debt (Thanks Bush, 4 trillion to 8 trillion during your watch), our people are dying in a bullshit war (Iraq had 0 to do with 9/11), I could go on for days.

Any kind of change is welcomed. Our current government needs to be shaken up. They've forgotten for the people by the people. For too long they've been after their own agenda and lining their pockets.

Enough is enough, bring our people home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 76 Old 11-08-2006, 8:23 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

They've got the House so at least we have the hope of checks and balances coming back to the United States instead of this 2 bit dictatorship that Bush and his administration have tried to pull. I'm tired of watching power being moved to the executive branch as they trounce on the Constitution.

Our freedoms are being eradicated. Our country is doubling our debt (Thanks Bush, 4 trillion to 8 trillion during your watch), our people are dying in a bullshit war (Iraq had 0 to do with 9/11), I could go on for days.

Any kind of change is welcomed. Our current government needs to be shaken up. They've forgotten for the people by the people. For too long they've been after their own agenda and lining their pockets.

Yep Democrats controlling the house will surely lead to fiscal responsibility

Must obey the sheep dog
post #5 of 76 Old 11-08-2006, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue View Post
No but it does bring a change in power, and some hope of better fiscal responsibility.

Republicans have run the show for a while now and sure have screwed the pooch.

Weak cast there buddy.
post #6 of 76 Old 11-08-2006, 8:31 AM

One good thing I have noticed is that the Dems seem to have realized that they need to run moderate candidates that more represent the people in order to win elections. Most of the pickups are fairly conservative...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #7 of 76 Old 11-08-2006, 8:52 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baketech View Post
Gridlock is good....our system works best that way, and it was time to put on the brakes.

This is how it's supposed to work...
I agree, we need the tension between governmental branches. Otherwise agendas move with ever increasing speed. Isn't there and old truism about power and absolute power...?
I hope AND pray that those elected to office will serve the PEOPLE they represent, not their own party line affiliation whatever it is.

Conquer yourself rather than the world.
post #8 of 76 Old 11-08-2006, 8:55 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
One good thing I have noticed is that the Dems seem to have realized that they need to run moderate candidates that more represent the people in order to win elections. Most of the pickups are fairly conservative...
But they have the same problem the Republicans had:
When the small government Republicans swept the party into power the old northeast blue bloods gained leadership due to seniority.

Now that the Democrats haved regained power due to a moderated group of Democrats the old liberal guard will be in power. Kennedy, Pelosi, Frank, etc...

They will offset much of the moderation of the newer members just as the blue bloods damped the desire for limited government.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #9 of 76 Old 11-08-2006, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Now that the Democrats haved regained power due to a moderated group of Democrats the old liberal guard will be in power. Kennedy, Pelosi, Frank, etc...
In the end, that will be a good thing...by the 2008, the country will have had a good look at how they lead. That way the Presidential race will be more of a choice in agendas rather than a rebuke as this midterm seems to be...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
post #10 of 76 Old 11-08-2006, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelover View Post
I agree, we need the tension between governmental branches. Otherwise agendas move with ever increasing speed. Isn't there and old truism about power and absolute power...?
I hope AND pray that those elected to office will serve the PEOPLE they represent, not their own party line affiliation whatever it is.
All of the candidates running were really stressing that they are working for their constituents, now I hope and pray that they actually follow through and do what the people ask of them, and hope that it was not all just a tactic to get into office. Time will truly tell!
post #11 of 76 Old 11-08-2006, 9:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Yes it will.

Quote:

They will offset much of the moderation of the newer members just as the blue bloods damped the desire for limited government.
Oh, sh1t, the world is comming to and end. "it's the end of the world as we know it, it's the end of the world as we know it, it's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fiiiiiiiineeeeee"

It was about time people.
post #12 of 76 Old 11-08-2006, 10:05 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Send a message via AIM to schnogg Send a message via Yahoo to schnogg

Quote:
Our current government needs to be shaken up.
Totally.
'Nuff said

No this tire hunted Mary down! This tire murdered Mary!
post #13 of 76 Old 11-08-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
In the end, that will be a good thing...by the 2008, the country will have had a good look at how they lead. That way the Presidential race will be more of a choice in agendas rather than a rebuke as this midterm seems to be...

Totally, I couldn't be more pleased about this outcome.

It was absolutely time to put the brakes on, and the repubs definitely deserved the rebuke they got.

And, as you say, with the platform this gives the libs, we should get a better look at the people who will be running in '08.

post #14 of 76 Old 11-08-2006, 10:50 AM

Reputation Power: 21

The sad thing is that I don't think Americans were voting for the Democrats, I think they were voting against the Republicans. Still, causing a split between the electoral and legislative branches is a good thing. No President should have such power.
post #15 of 76 Old 11-08-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
No but it does bring a change in power, and some hope of better fiscal responsibility.

Republicans have run the show for a while now and sure have screwed the pooch.

Weak cast there buddy.
Sorry Boof, Sheep is dead on with his crack about Democrats not amounting to fiscal responsibility. Democrats are friends of "tax and give programs" and "big government"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Politics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page