Regrets for slavery - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Politics Discussion of Politics. Heated discussions are expected with this subject matter. If you don't have a thick skin, stay away. If you would like to block posts from this forum, see here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 11-27-2006, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Regrets for slavery

BBC NEWS | Politics | Mixed response to slave 'sorrow'

I wonder what this looks like from across the Atlantic. The UK Prime Minister expresses deep sorrow for the UK's part in slavery, ahead of the 200th anniversary of the UK abolishment of slavery act.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 11-27-2006, 12:37 PM

Re: Regrets for slavery

Quote:

The editor of New Nation, the newspaper which published Mr Blair's comments, said it was right to acknowledge the wrong and "now we can move on".
I couldn't agree more.
Quote:
But campaigners Anti-slavery International said they would like to see Mr Blair "going a bit further".
Which means giving them money right?

Slavery is an awful practice. It is very unfortunate it continues to this day.

post #3 of 43 Old 11-27-2006, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

.. About time, I'd say! Still beat the Spanish, who took 500 years to get around to apologizing for the Expulsion and Inquisition, in 1992.
__________________________________________________ ____________

I realize Europeans think we haven't apologized to the world and our own citizens for allowing the shameful slavery trade to exist for 75 years after the formation of this country.

Doesn't the death of 700,000 people in a Civil War to eradicate slavery in this country count?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 11-28-2006, 5:16 AM Thread Starter

I thought this might not get much of a response, I suppose it's a touchy subject still, but I was interested in what it seems like seen from the US. Does the UK seem irrelevant on this topic? I suppose Portugal/ Brazil, UK, France, Spain, Morocco, Egypt, and Tanzania are the countries most heavily involved. I don't know if any others have "officially" expressed sorrow or regret. Certainly the Italians have never apologised for slavery in the Roman Empire!

I'm above all curious about the current generation apologising for the sins of our ancestors. Germany did this after WWII, but that was relatively recent, definitely the sins of our fathers. Japan has expressed some regret (the exact words never quite satisfying the Chinese or Koreans) for their brutal management of their invasion in C20th.
post #5 of 43 Old 11-28-2006, 9:21 AM

Reputation Power: 23

I'm still waiting for some Italian bloke to apolgise to me for ruining my ancestors garden when they built Icknield Street right through the middle of old family farm. My folks were doing really well, nice little business going, next minute a centurion and a bunch of soldiers just chuck them off their land. No compensation, nothing. It's taken my family 60 generations just to get back where we started. Those eyeties owe us big time.

And don't get me started by talking about the bloody Vikings. Pure Celts we were, then back in 720 AD my great granny got dragged into the bushes by some blond fellow, and ruined our blood line. Look at me, a blond, blue eyed Celt, it's just not right. Bastard Norwegians. Or were they Sewedish, Or Danes. F*ckers.

And if anyone mentions the French, I'll bloody explode. F*cking battle of f*cking Hastings my arse. I'm waiting for an apology from Chirac. Bastard French.

Last edited by Proto; 11-28-2006 at 11:18 AM.
post #6 of 43 Old 11-28-2006, 9:27 AM

Reputation Power: 42

Quote:
Yeah, what have the Romans done for us anyway!?!?!

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #7 of 43 Old 11-28-2006, 9:30 AM

Sorry Oldfogey, just ranting but trying to make a point. It's history, gone. We can regret the event but an apology is meaningless unless it is given by the guilty party in person. You can't get someone to do it for you two hundred yeras later.

It is well know that many African tribes sold their enemies and neighbours into slavery. Can you imagine the Nigerians apologising? No, nor me. In fact slavery still exists in parts of Africa. That's okay then.
And the Arab merchants who did their fair share of people trafficking? No, they won't apologise either. This is just a meaningless guilt trip instigatated by the wooly thinking muesli knitting bearded lefties. Complete bollocks.
post #8 of 43 Old 11-28-2006, 9:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Sorry Oldfogey, just ranting but trying to make a point...This is just a meaningless guilt trip instigatated by the wooly thinking muesli knitting bearded lefties. Complete bollocks.
No, don't hold back Proto, you say what you want, don't worry.

PS I'm a woolly-thinking muesli-eating bearded left-hander, but don't mind me!
post #9 of 43 Old 11-28-2006, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Sorry Oldfogey, just ranting but trying to make a point. It's history, gone. We can regret the event but an apology is meaningless unless it is given by the guilty party in person. You can't get someone to do it for you two hundred yeras later.

It is well know that many African tribes sold their enemies and neighbours into slavery. Can you imagine the Nigerians apologising? No, nor me. In fact slavery still exists in parts of Africa. That's okay then.
And the Arab merchants who did their fair share of people trafficking? No, they won't apologise either. This is just a meaningless guilt trip instigatated by the wooly thinking muesli knitting bearded lefties. Complete bollocks.

post #10 of 43 Old 11-28-2006, 11:07 AM

I'd like to make a formal apology to the Jewish people of the world. The holocaust was a deeply shameful act perpetrated by someone else a long time ago, and for that I offer you my personal and sincerest apology. Sorry.

I bet you feel a whole lot better now that this sorry affair has finally been put to bed.

See, all's right with the world now. Just took one little word and sunshine broke through the clouds.
post #11 of 43 Old 11-28-2006, 11:11 AM

I think "sorry" is by FAR the most overrated word in the english language.

post #12 of 43 Old 11-28-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfogey View Post
PS I'm a woolly-thinking muesli-eating bearded left-hander, but don't mind me!
There's plenty of sinister folk on this site, but I would never have included you that group

amo amas amat amamus amatis amant
post #13 of 43 Old 11-28-2006, 11:31 AM

[quote=CBRVFR;552804...Doesn't the death of 700,000 people in a Civil War to eradicate slavery in this country count?[/quote]

No, because the Civil War wasn't directly fought because of slavery. It was fought over state's rights.

Quote:

At that time, slavery was a fact of life all over the planet. Stronger nations had subjugated weaker nations and enslaved people for thousands of years. Yes, it took a little longer for America to finally give it up and they did take a strange liking for African nations over the indigenous people of North America for some odd reason. But, hey. It's history. We should remember it as a low point in our history, keep it in the back of our minds as a reminder that we should remain humble for we are not all without sin. But we have to move on and an apology from Mr. Blair, Mr. Bush, or any other current world leader isn't going to make life full of roses and pretty perfume. "My bad" doesn't fix anything just like cough syrup doesn't cure a cold.

Besides, slavery was bad but the treatment of those same people after slavery was over was far worse.
post #14 of 43 Old 11-28-2006, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
There's plenty of sinister folk on this site, but I would never have included you that group

amo amas amat amamus amatis amant
I can also be quite gauche .
post #15 of 43 Old 11-28-2006, 1:30 PM

What's that you say, you're a gaucho? Yep, plenty of cowboys here too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Politics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page