Tipping the Bellboy, Waitress etc How does it work in the US?? And Why?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Politics Discussion of Politics. Heated discussions are expected with this subject matter. If you don't have a thick skin, stay away. If you would like to block posts from this forum, see here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 Old 02-10-2007, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Tipping the Bellboy, Waitress etc How does it work in the US?? And Why??

OK So I'm in the UK, never personally been to the States, but I understand in a limited way that it's a sort of given to tip hotel staff, Waiting staff and others in this minimum wage service industry. Almost demanded over there??

So first off "Is this the case"?? And Why? And is it a national thing or is it State dependent depends where you are, sort of thing??

I ask because myself and many others work on the principal that if the service was standard, job done to the expected standard then no tip.
However, if I'm in a restaurant or something and the waitress is ... or seems to be genuinely keen to make your stay a pleasant one, polite, happy, not the miserable shite with the forced smile and will spit in your food if you dare complain that your meal is cold or been kept waiting etc.

So I'm a seeker of knowledge, any help here??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 02-10-2007, 12:36 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Re: Tipping the Bellboy, Waitress etc How does it work in the US?? And Why??

I will leave it to others to explain the whole protocol. However you say minimum wage and it is below that. The tip is part of their pay and as such the employer can legally pay a base wage that is lower than minimum wage. Just an FYI

Must obey the sheep dog
post #3 of 57 Old 02-10-2007, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

So what's minimum wage for?? Is it a law or guideline?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 Old 02-10-2007, 1:09 PM

its a law in MOST cases, however they waitress/waiter makes below that due to the fact that in a restraunt you are pretty much expected to tip what I think is 5%. However if the person is an ass I'm often known to leave them nothing at all (why pay extra for crappy service?). At a hotel... well that tiping is only for High Dollar places. If you are at your average Holiday Inn then no tip but if you have a bellboy and he takes your bads up does a good job explaining things (here is the T.V., Here is this here is that if you need anything press whatever on the phone and we'll be there to help ASAP) then normally they get a tip as well. Hope this helps somewhat
post #5 of 57 Old 02-10-2007, 1:44 PM

For me:

Bad Service: 0%
Acceptable Service: 15%
Outstanding Service: 20% (or more in a few cases)
post #6 of 57 Old 02-10-2007, 1:54 PM

I like the waitress' that will flirt back with you, sneak you a few extra wings will give me **** when I'm messing with them and treat my wife just as well (believe it or not I have had some that are nice to me and bitches to her). Those ladies always get a really good tip!!
post #7 of 57 Old 02-10-2007, 1:59 PM

Reputation Power: 20

In some places, if you have a group of 6 or 8 or more, then impose a mandatory gratuity of 15%.

1998 CBR900RR - Red - SOLD!!!
2002 CBR954RR - Silver SOLD !!!
2002 CBR954RR - Black SOLD !!!
2005 CR125
2013 BMW HP4 !!! Wow!!!
post #8 of 57 Old 02-10-2007, 2:14 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Having worked as a server to pay my way through college I can explain a few things. For one most restaurants treat there wait staff like crap. They pay you $2.50 an hour to wait the tables and do misc side work like prepping the kitchen, cleaning, opening and closing the store. The reason why wait staff put up with this is because they expect the tips from the customers who come in. I don't necessarily agree with it but that is just the way it is in the US and I don't expect it to change ever. Its a great deal for the restaurants and as long is it is legal they will never change this policy.

With that being said an average tip is around 15% of the total on the check; and I have had tips as high as 50% (very unusual) and as low as 10% which I consider a stiff. I have never had no tip.

With the tips that servers make they must now pay the bus staff and the bar staff out of their own tips.

Allmost every server that works in a big city knows to watch out for the UK tourists because they don't know how to tip. In many restaurants in touristy locations the tip is included in the check. It will be clearly labeled on the check as gratuity included etc. If you get a check like this then you can tip more if you like but it is not needed.

Again I agree that it is a poor system and the only people who win are the restaurants who get themselves labor for almost free. I am just glad that I left that business a long time ago, but I still remember how I paid my way through college and always tip well when the service is good and tip average 15% when the service was less than good. If you are truly not happy with the service speak to the server about it and if that doesn't work then ask to see a manager but don't stiff a server without letting them try to resolve the issue first.

"and when I gun the engine I want it to sound like the world is coming to an end" -Homer Simpson
post #9 of 57 Old 02-10-2007, 2:20 PM

I guess the motivation is that if the server wants to make more money, they must please the patrons more.

I know many girls at hooters, that would come on to guys in a playful way, and score huge tips!!!

2005 CR125
2013 BMW HP4 !!! Wow!!!
post #10 of 57 Old 02-10-2007, 2:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfmotorcycle1 View Post
For one most restaurants treat there wait staff like crap. They pay you $2.50 an hour to wait the tables and do misc side work like prepping the kitchen, cleaning, opening and closing the store.
Quote:
Again I agree that it is a poor system and the only people who win are the restaurants who get themselves labor for almost free.
If the staff allow it to happen then of course the owners will take advantage, I've little sympathy for anyone who willing excepts $2.50/hour, these jobs are filled because they hope to clear alot of money from the tips I guess
Quote:
With that being said an average tip is around 15% of the total on the check; and I have had tips as high as 50% (very unusual) and as low as 10% which I consider a stiff. I have never had no tip.

With the tips that servers make they must now pay the bus staff and the bar staff out of their own tips.
Well in the UK we tips on 'Excellent service' So good that you actually noticed how pleasant the staff person was, 15% though Hmmmm
Quote:
Allmost every server that works in a big city knows to watch out for the UK tourists because they don't know how to tip.
Well I understand that as I wouldn't have a clue, and as a Brit I'd be constantly thinking about getting mugged, shot, raped .... or all 3 just for 'Going for a Walk'

Seriuosly though, we go to resturants safe in the knowledge that the waiter/waitress is on at least minimum wage which in your money is about $9. so I don't have any worries at all about their family starving because I'm a tight arse
post #11 of 57 Old 02-10-2007, 3:07 PM

$9/Hr for min wage?!?! WTF???? we are getting the shaft over here as far as min wage goes.
post #12 of 57 Old 02-10-2007, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConqSoft View Post
For me:

Bad Service: 0%
Acceptable Service: 15%
Outstanding Service: 20% (or more in a few cases)
+1 To get nothing, it has to be pretty poor service though.
post #13 of 57 Old 02-10-2007, 4:55 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Here in NYC you tip EVERYbody. I expect to tip the waitstaff, bellman, valet, concierge, but the guy at Sears who brings the TV out to the car? Come on, that's his job.

Anybody who assists you with ANYthing expects a tip. Anybody who provides any mundane service or favor expects a tip. I can't think of any rediculous examples at the moment but there have been numerous times I've thought "This person is expecting a tip? Are you kidding me?" Maybe this is just NYC, which, at times, doesn't seem congruent with the rest of the country in many things, especially those involving money.

"Hey Johnny what're you rebelling against?"
"Whaddya got?"
post #14 of 57 Old 02-10-2007, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMohawk View Post
Here in NYC you tip EVERYbody. I expect to tip the waitstaff, bellman, valet, concierge, but the guy at Sears who brings the TV out to the car? Come on, that's his job.

Anybody who assists you with ANYthing expects a tip. Anybody who provides any mundane service or favor expects a tip. I can't think of any rediculous examples at the moment but there have been numerous times I've thought "This person is expecting a tip? Are you kidding me?" Maybe this is just NYC, which, at times, doesn't seem congruent with the rest of the country in many things, especially those involving money.
What about the guy at the Starbucks...they even have a friggin tip jar....WTF!!

The guy at the Subway and Quizno!! Come on!!!

2005 CR125
2013 BMW HP4 !!! Wow!!!
post #15 of 57 Old 02-10-2007, 5:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfuldragon View Post
$9/Hr for min wage?!?! WTF???? we are getting the shaft over here as far as min wage goes.
Sorry it's not $9 at the currancy pounds-US Dollars exchange rate our Minimum wage is £5.35 or $10.45 in your money
To us Minimum wage is supposed to be exactly that, a "Minimum reasonable wage for unskilled workers" that we've had for 10 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMohawk View Post

No wonder the service industry loves the Yanks over here, you're all too willing to throw 15% at everyone for giving you the time of day ..... SUCKERS!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Politics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page