700 Billion Wall St Bail Out - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Politics Discussion of Politics. Heated discussions are expected with this subject matter. If you don't have a thick skin, stay away. If you would like to block posts from this forum, see here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 09-30-2008, 2:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

700 Billion Wall St Bail Out

Should the tax payers bail out Wall street to the tune of 700 billion? The rescue plan seems to have crashed, like it or not this deal will probably impact on you in one way or another. To be honest I'm not sure what I think of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-30-2008, 5:40 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Re: 700 Billion Wall St Bail Out

nope...I agree that they have created this problem by giving away finance to people that cannot afford to repay the loans + all the top brass are making a killing off this.

No body can tell me the managers and top brass has pulled any money out of their pockets to make sure their business dont fall.

The Banks are expecting easy money to cover their mistakes.
post #3 of 25 Old 10-01-2008, 2:48 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR001 View Post
nope...I agree that they have created this problem by giving away finance to people that cannot afford to repay the loans + all the top brass are making a killing off this.

No body can tell me the managers and top brass has pulled any money out of their pockets to make sure their business dont fall.

The Banks are expecting easy money to cover their mistakes.
While that might be true, something does have to be done. There is no choice on that front.

As long as there are no golden parachutes for leaving CEO's, the money is distributed as an extended loan, which must be paid back, and that failing elements of these institutions are sold in order to facilitate some of the pay back, then okay. That is, if the market comes back.

However, I really don't like the whole nationalisation plan. The UK's just done it again (a normal practice for the labour government when they've been in power long enough to screw things up) and it just puts far too much pressure on the government and ends up costing three times as much.

The main point here is for the government to provide a loan pool just long enough for trust to build up again within the banking sector. When that happens the government begins to reduce the loan availability and begins to recall the loans slowly until the balance has been paid back.

Last edited by Surffrog; 10-01-2008 at 2:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 10-01-2008, 9:41 AM

I agree - no easymoney bailout, there has to be controlled plans.
Its one of the few things that seem to run fairly well here in SA. the monetry policy is very tight, you cannot just walk into the bank and get a loan, you have to show them you can even afford new underwear. Although our interest rate is one of the highest.
Yeah the whole thin in the Uk at the moment is much like ours - bit of inhouse unhappyness and backbiting....
post #5 of 25 Old 10-01-2008, 2:14 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Upward wealth transfer; that's all it is. A lame duck President trying to do one more good turn for his rich pals. I only hope Congress has the sense to turn it down.
post #6 of 25 Old 10-01-2008, 2:26 PM

Reputation Power: 12

For 700 billion dollars we could give each American 7500.00 to put into retirement funds. Instead of helping grow the market, the bail out will only allow it to stay stagnate. They are bailing out companies that made risky loans. Either way banks that have done a decent job stand to narrow the market and make HUGE money either way. Let the stragglers die off naturally, the market will adapt. And even new Companies might bid for market share in attempts to compete.

I oppose the bail out on ALL counts.

Last edited by Stick; 10-01-2008 at 2:41 PM. Reason: typo :p
post #7 of 25 Old 10-01-2008, 2:34 PM

Ok, if we broke this and gave out cash to each tax payer it would only be less than 500 bucks so where did you get 75,000 from? Sure would be nice though I say sell off everything from the companys involved and let the smaller buisiness pick up stuff where they could benefit.

BTW, sorry, saw this one and could....not.....stay....away
post #8 of 25 Old 10-01-2008, 3:50 PM

Its actually a couple thousand if you use the total population. Goes up if you just include the taxpayers. And it's still a horrid idea.
post #9 of 25 Old 10-01-2008, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingar View Post
Its actually a couple thousand if you use the total population. Goes up if you just include the taxpayers. And it's still a horrid idea.
Got ya, I was thinking it was 70 Billion and not 700 Billion...just a slight differance
post #10 of 25 Old 10-01-2008, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 18

Well it's no longer a "free market" if you allow this type of manipulation to proceed. And that 700 billion does not directly help the people who are still going to lose their homes due to foreclosure which is the very thing that set this in motion in the first instance. It's a tough call either way you look at it.
post #11 of 25 Old 10-02-2008, 2:26 AM

Reputation Power: 21

But the people being foreclosed on arent the victims, technically they are part of the problem!

Lending money to people who cant pay it back, do enough of it that you affect the value of the assets backing the loans and even if you foreclose you lose money.
post #12 of 25 Old 10-02-2008, 4:15 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingar View Post
Upward wealth transfer; that's all it is. A lame duck President trying to do one more good turn for his rich pals. I only hope Congress has the sense to turn it down.
I know you guys don't believe the politicians (neither do we in the UK and Europe), but have no doubt, if the loan freeze isn't lifted we are all f**ked. The UK and Europe as well. You guys will feel it first and when the jobs start disappearing in their thousands you'll all start screaming for a bail - out package. But it will be too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick View Post
For 700 billion dollars we could give each American 7500.00 to put into retirement funds. Instead of helping grow the market, the bail out will only allow it to stay stagnate. They are bailing out companies that made risky loans. Either way banks that have done a decent job stand to narrow the market and make HUGE money either way. Let the stragglers die off naturally, the market will adapt. And even new Companies might bid for market share in attempts to compete.

I oppose the bail out on ALL counts.
When you've lost your job and can't get a new one because everybody else would be losing their, that $7,500 is going to feel like a band aid on an amputated limb. We are all to blame in part. We live in a borrowing culture when we should have all been building up savings reserves. Can any of you honestly say you don't have a debt? We should all stop throwing stones in glass houses. Btw, this will even kill the banks that have been doing the right thing because they can't borrow either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_johnny View Post
Ok, if we broke this and gave out cash to each tax payer it would only be less than 500 bucks so where did you get 75,000 from? Sure would be nice though I say sell off everything from the companys involved and let the smaller buisiness pick up stuff where they could benefit.

BTW, sorry, saw this one and could....not.....stay....away
And I thought you couldn't stand the politics section?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .OrgOwner View Post
Well it's no longer a "free market" if you allow this type of manipulation to proceed. And that 700 billion does not directly help the people who are still going to lose their homes due to foreclosure which is the very thing that set this in motion in the first instance. It's a tough call either way you look at it.
It will be a free market but it will be one that's being propped up by government. And although you don't think the money will be going directly to the people, I would urge you to reconsider. What money do you think will be paying the salaries in the coming months?
post #13 of 25 Old 10-02-2008, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surffrog View Post
And I thought you couldn't stand the politics section?
Yeah, you missed me didnt ya
post #14 of 25 Old 10-02-2008, 11:44 AM

I believe that its the wrong thing to help out the banks, the small man is going to suffer - because at the end of the day someone is going to have to payback and its going to be full circle.....the poor ass in the street is going to have his money taken away from him again....to give to the bankers.
post #15 of 25 Old 10-02-2008, 3:03 PM

We no longer manufacture, and we stopped developing new technology because we stopped funding science. The last boom was in housing, so now there is a surplus of that. Add on the imminent retirement of the baby boomers and you have a big economic disaster looming. $700bn dumped into the markets might delay it, but the Piper will get his due...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Politics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page