Huntley Brown writes about Obama.... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Politics Discussion of Politics. Heated discussions are expected with this subject matter. If you don't have a thick skin, stay away. If you would like to block posts from this forum, see here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-01-2008, 2:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 162

Huntley Brown writes about Obama....

This article is found on Mr. Brown's website. Huntley Brown is a fabulous concert pianist, man of God and is a black man.

Why I Can't Vote For Obama
By Huntley Brown

Dear Friends,

A few months ago I was asked for my perspective on Obama, I sent out an email with a few points. With the election just around the corner I decided to complete my perspective. Those of you on my e-list have seen some of this before but it's worth repeating.

First I must say whoever wins the election will have my prayer support. Obama needs to be commended for his accomplishments but I need to explain why I will not be voting for him.

Many of my friends process their identity through their blackness.

I process my identity through Christ. Being a Christian (a Christ follower) means He leads I follow. I can't dictate the terms He does because He is the leader.

I can't vote black because I am black, I have to vote Christian because that's who I am. Christian first, black second. Neither should anyone from the other ethnic groups vote because of ethnicity. 200 years from now I won't be asked if I was black or white. I will be asked if I knew Jesus and accepted Him as Lord and Savior.

In an election there are many issues to consider but when a society gets abortion, same-sex marriage, embryonic stem-cell research, human cloning to name a few, wrong economic concerns will soon not matter.

We need to follow Martin Luther King's words, don't judge someone by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I don't know Obama so all I can go off is his voting record.

His voting record earned him the title of the most liberal senator in the US Senate in 2007.

NATIONAL JOURNAL: Obama: Most Liberal Senator in 2007 (01/31/2008)

To beat Ted Kennedy and Hilary Clinton as the most liberal senator, takes some doing.
Obama accomplished this feat in 2 short years. I wonder what would happen to America if he had four years to work with.

There is a reason Planned Parenthood gives him a 100 % rating.
There is a reason the homosexual community supports him.
There is a reason Ahmadinejad, Chavez, Castro, Hamas etc. love him.
There is a reason he said he would nominate liberal judges to the Supreme Court.
There is a reason he voted against the infanticide bill.
There is a reason he voted No on the constitutional ban of same-sex marriage.
There is a reason he voted No on banning partial birth abortion.
There is a reason he voted No on confirming Justices Roberts and Alito. These two judges are conservatives and they have since overturned partial birth abortion. The same practice Obama wanted to continue.

Letís take a look at the practice he wanted to continue.

THE 5 STEP PARTIAL BIRTH ABORTION PROCEDURE
A. Guided by ultrasound, the abortionist grabs the (live) baby's leg with forceps.
B. The baby's leg is pulled out into the birth canal.
C. The abortionist delivers the baby's entire body, except for the head.
D. The abortionist jams scissors into the baby's skull. The scissors are then opened to enlarge the hole.
E. The scissors are removed and a suction catheter is inserted. The child's brains are sucked out, causing the skull to collapse. The dead baby is then removed.
God help him.

There is a reason Obama opposed the parental notification law.

Think about this: you can't give a kid an aspirin without parental notification but that same kid can have an abortion without parental notification. This is insane.

There is a reason he went to Jeremiah Wright's church for 20 years.

Obama tells us he has good judgment but he sat under Jeremiah Wright teaching for 20 years. Now he is condemning Wright's sermons. I wonder why now?

Obama said Jeremiah Wright led him to the Lord and discipled him. A disciple is one in training. Jesus told us in Matthew 28:19 - 20 'Go and make disciples of all nations.' This means reproduce yourself. Teach people to think like you, walk like you, talk like you believe what you believe etc. The question I have is what did Jeremiah Wright teach him?

Would you support a White President who went to a church which has tenets that said they have a

1. Commitment to the White Community
2. Commitment to the White Family
3. Adherence to the White Work Ethic
4. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the White Community.
5. Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting White Institutions
6. Pledge allegiance to all White leadership who espouse and embrace the White Value System
7. Personal commitment to embracement of the White Value System.
Would you support a President who went to a church like that?

Just change the word from white to black and you have the tenets of Obama's former church. If President Bush was a member of a church like this, he would be called a racist. Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton would have been marching outside.

This kind of church is a racist church. Obama did not wake up after 20 years and just discovered he went to a racist church. The church can't be about race. Jesus did not come for any particular race. He came for the whole world.

A church can't have a value system based on race. The churches value system has to be based on biblical mandate. It does not matter if itís a white church or a black church it's still wrong. Anyone from either race that attends a church like this would never get my vote.

Obama's former Pastor Jeremiah Wright is a disciple of liberal theologian James Cone, author of the 1970 book A Black Theology of Liberation. Cone once wrote: 'Black theology refuses to accept a God who is not identified totally with the goals of the black community. If God is not for us and against white people, then he is a murderer, and we had better kill him.

Cone is the man Obama's mentor looks up to. Does Obama believe this?

So what does all this mean for the nation?

In the past when the Lord brought someone with the beliefs of Obama to lead a nation it meant one thing - judgment.

Read 1 Samuel 8 when Israel asked for a king.

First God says in 1 Samuel 1:9 'Now listen to them; but warn them solemnly and let them know what the king who will reign over them will do.'
Then God says
1 Samuel 1:18 ' When that day comes, you will cry out for relief from the king you have chosen, and the LORD will not answer you in that day.' 19 But the people refused to listen to Samuel. 'No!' they said. 'We want a king over us. 20 Then we will be like all the other nations, with a king to lead us and to go out before us and fight our battles.' 21 When Samuel heard all that the people said, he repeated it before the LORD. 22 The LORD answered, 'Listen to them and give them a king.'

Here is what we know for sure.

God is not schizophrenic

He would not tell one person to vote for Obama and one to vote for McCain. As the scripture says, a city divided against itself cannot stand, so obviously many people are not hearing from God.

Maybe I am the one not hearing but I know God does not change and Obama contradicts many things I read in scripture so I doubt it.

For all my friends who are voting for Obama can you really look God in the face and say; Father based on your word, I am voting for Obama even though I know he will continue the genocidal practice of partial birth abortion. He might have to nominate three or four Supreme Court justices, and I am sure he will be nominating liberal judges who will be making laws that are against you. I also know he will continue to push for homosexual rights, even though you destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah for this. I know I can look the other way because of the economy.

I could not see Jesus agreeing with many of Obama's positions. Finally I have two questions for all my liberal friends.

Since we know someone's value system has to be placed on the nation,

1. Whose value system should be placed on the nation?

2. Who should determine that this is the right value system for the nation?

Blessings,
Huntley Brown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-01-2008, 3:49 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Re: Huntley Brown writes about Obama....

I'd prefer not to have a President with a bucket list.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-23-2008, 12:21 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Where on Huntley Brown's website is this letter? I cannot find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-23-2008, 2:24 PM

Reputation Power: 12

me neither.

Donnyballgame

Work Hard, Play Hard.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-23-2008, 4:27 PM

Reputation Power: 27

A RACIST SMEAR CHAMPAIGN has no time for facts. But don't worry, America is sick of it, along with the windbags we call, Republican'ts!

And yes, I do realise that you used the name of a black man as your vehical.

Ride Red
post #6 of 9 Old 10-27-2008, 8:37 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post
And yes, I do realise that you used the name of a black man as your vehical.
Huh? nedro, as already mentioned in the past, it was a cut and paste from the stated web page. So, whatever you like to believe is your opinion.

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici"
post #7 of 9 Old 10-27-2008, 2:54 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Just the mere fact that his voting decision based on his religous faith proves that all of his points are irrelevant.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-29-2008, 3:26 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Rebuttal: Huntley Brown writes about Obama....

This is a response my husband wrote to the piece attributed to Huntley Brown.

Thanks for forwarding me Mr. Huntley Brown's thoughtful piece. I respect his call to Christians to view the presidential voting decision as Christians rather than based upon the color of one's skin. For Christians, such an approach would also demand us to ignore the "talking points" and "scare tactics" that the political parties and campaigns may employ from time to time.

Christians Supporting Obama

In fact, many Christians like myself are taking the same approach suggested by Mr. Brown and voting for Senator Obama. Here are some links that explain why this is the case better than I can address with my writing:
YouTube - Matthew 25 - Source of Hope - radio ad

Matthew 25 Network

Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | Barack on Faith
In short, there are many issues that Christians need to be concerned about, including poverty, peace, housing, jobs and health care. He spoke of this in his highly regarded speech to the Call to Renewal Conference. Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | Faith

As a delegate for Senator Obama to the Democratic National Convention, I attended the "Faith Caucus" in which Christian and Jewish clergy discussed these issues. This discussion was led by a Pentecostal preacher who was a member of the Obama campaign team. All of these people of faith were supporting Senator Obama, not because of the color of his skin, but because of the content of his character and his plans to address these many issues.

Partial Birth Abortion

Mr. Brown is not speaking the truth concerning Senator Obama's position. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he is misinformed. Senator Obama has stated publicly on more than one occasion that he will sign into law a ban on partial birth abortions. So Mr. Brown's graphic description of the procedure and statements to the contrary come across as uninformed scare tactics. The real debate is over the "health of the mother" exception which Senator Obama supports and his opponent does not.

Pro-Life for Obama

Since Senator Obama is "pro-choice", he will never be able to completely satisfy "pro life" voters who may choose to vote based upon this single issue.

However, there are "pro-life" Christians that are supporting Obama. ProLife - ProObama This is based upon his commendable efforts to find common ground on this issue to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies. It is also based upon the recognition that a new approach is needed to break the current political deadlock on this important issue. Calling people "baby killers", as I have heard in a local church, does nothing to reduce abortions.

Senator Obama has broken with Democratic presidential candidates of the past by arguing that "no one is in favor of abortion", sponsoring the Prevention First Act, and including unwanted pregnancy reduction in the Democratic Party Platform. Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | Women for Obama Issues

Thus, Obama is a candidate who seeks to reduce unintended pregnancies in the US which hopefully will reduce abortions in a meaningful way. This is an area that the "pro-life" and "pro-choice" groups can work together on. Frankly, this approach and facilitating adoptions may be more effective as a practical matter than a reversal of Roe v. Wade. Abortions did occur in the U.S. prior to that 1973 decision, but we can help women avoid them in other ways irrespective of the fate of that case.
War & Peace

For me personally, there are no greater issues where even our "Christian" politicians fail us than issues of war and peace. Although our brave soldiers should be commended for their service, our national leaders who pushed for the invasion that started the Iraq War should be ashamed. It was sold to the American people based upon deception that was rebutted by the CIA's own National Intelligence Estimate.

While some Christians put aside their Christianity when it comes to war, its effects are too devastating to be ignored. In Iraq alone, thousands of innocent men, women and children have lost their lives or loved ones. Millions of Iraqis have been turned into homeless refugees or been forced to leave their country. Refugees International: The Iraqi Displacement Crisis

While his opponent has not articulated an "exit strategy", Senator Obama has a plan for bringing our occupation of Iraq to a responsible end. Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | Iraq This concept of a phased withdrawal has been embraced both by the Iraqi government and even recently by the Bush Administration. IRAQ: Latest draft of the U.S.-Iraq security agreement | Babylon & Beyond | Los Angeles Times

Senator Obama showed unique judgment and courage in speaking out against the war before it started. Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need That tells me that he has the critical judgment and wisdom necessary to avoid unnecessary wars and its devastating consequences.

"Liberalism"

I frankly find the "liberal" and "conservative" labels to be unhelpful. Is it "conservative" to support continued spending $10 billion per month in Iraq?

Is it "liberal" for Senator Obama to oppose gay marriage based upon his Christian beliefs?

Is it "liberal" for Senator Obama to support the expansion of President Bush's "faith based initiatives"?

Those are in fact his positions. Yet Mr. Brown didn't mention them in his letter, even though they are unpopular with so called "liberals".

Rev. Wright & His Former Church

This part of the letter appears to pre-date Senator Obama leaving his former church and rebuking his controversial former pastor. While Mr. Brown argues against Senator Obama's character based upon some of the outlandish and divisive comments of Rev. Wright, he sidesteps the real test of Obama's character. Did the well publicized isolated sermons of Rev. Wright turn Barack Obama into a hate-filled, angry or racist man?

There is no evidence whatsoever of this misguided "guilt by association" attack. In fact, Senator Obama is well-known by observers of politics for his approach of bringing diverse people together for the common good, to focus on issues, not personal attacks, and to "disagree, without being disagreeable". Notably, he has run his campaign for President as an American for all Americans, not for any one select racial group.

For those who have not been following Senator Obama's campaign closely, these aspects of his character and candidacy may have been ignored. But he made them clear in Philadelphia when he addressed the Rev. Wright controversy. Obama Race Speech: Read The Full Text

Subsequently, in announcing that he was leaving his former Church, he reiterated the obvious. That the divisive comments of Rev. Wright were diametrically opposed to everything he stood for. Had Mr. Brown read Obama's best-selling book from several years prior "The Audacity of Hope", this would have been clear to him too.

Fortunately, Rev. Wright is not the candidate for President. The candidate is Barack Obama and his proposals in no way reflect the divisive comments of his former pastor. Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | Policy Issues

WWJD?

Finally, I must object to Mr. Brown's argument that only one of the Presidential candidates has the "value system" that can be supported by Christians and, by implication, supported by God.

We live in an imperfect world. Much like ourselves, both of these candidates have their own transgressions and short comings. To the extent we view value systems based upon life experience, both of these men have fallen short in their own ways. That is no surprise.

To the extent this is viewed through their proposals, they are both a mixed bag. Both of them have some worthy policy proposals. Both have plans that Christians can admire. And both have plans that Christians can criticize.

Some Christian voters will be more passionate about feeding the hungry, providing help to the homeless, or helping those without health insurance. Others will be more passionate about war and peace, caring for the downtrodden, even those in other countries. Others will be passionate about protecting the unborn or advancing the sanctity of life.

We can all find ways of speaking out on those issues that are most important to us as Christians, including voting for our presidential candidate of choice. But to suggest that one candidate is necessarily the only "Christian" choice is very misleading.

No matter who we vote for or who wins the election, let's come together and remember that we are one Nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
God Bless,
post #9 of 9 Old 11-04-2008, 11:25 AM

Reputation Power: 12

snopes.com: Huntley Brown -- Why I Can't Vote for Obama

Donnyballgame

Work Hard, Play Hard.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Politics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page