How do you stay informed as a voter? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Politics Discussion of Politics. Heated discussions are expected with this subject matter. If you don't have a thick skin, stay away. If you would like to block posts from this forum, see here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-04-2003, 9:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

How do you stay informed as a voter?

I for one think that the voting system in the US is really messed up. There is no good way to stay informed and make an educated vote. Also, I should be able to vote online. There are no excuses for me not being able to . If voting were available online, we just might see good voter turnout, but instead, voters have to deviate from their normal routines to go cast a vote for some "used car salesman" that they are in the end, still unsure about. Most of the time the voter probably doesn't even understand the job the elected official is intended to perform.

I'm not talking about just the presidency here. What about local elections? How do you all stay educated so as to not "waste" your votes?

HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-04-2003, 10:10 AM

Re: How do you stay informed as a voter?

I choose to waste my vote then complain.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-04-2003, 10:37 AM

Reputation Power: 42

Reading is the key.....and not just campaign spew....

Read the local and national news to stay informed about issues BEFORE the campaigns, form your opinions, and THEN listen to what the candidates say about them.

FWIW,
I think our voting system is pretty good....I don't see what value online voting would add....in fact I see it as a negative.

I want my leaders to be chosen by people that are willing to get involved and make an effort.....

No flames, just my 2 cents....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-04-2003, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Staying informed isn't too hard - Not becoming jaded, cynical, frustrated, subject to raised blood pressure and disgusted...that's another story.

Your local reps will go out of their way to communicate with anyone they think will listen. Call 'em up. Go to a city council meeting sometime and see the mundane bs it consists of.

Go to every candidate's forum and stir the pot. Check out all the websites of the candidates.

I don't have a good handle on how to vote for judges.

For national office, pretty much al the candidates are being interviewed on the political CNN MSNBC FOX weekday programs, and every weekend on the networks. I like to watch Chris Matthews on hardball because he doesn't give anyone a break, even if he likes them. He has said he personally likes Dean, but provoked him to reveal his loose cannon tendencies on his show.

As for voting on line, that's the easiest way to have the government steal your vote. Think the NSA could fvck with any system devisable? I do. Do you think that either political party would hesitate to cheat if they thought they wouldn't be caught? Please. I want it in writing, countable and accountable.

It's not to much to ask for us to go to the polls, especially if you've invested time in your compromised decision. Especially when you consider how many men and women have died to guarantee our right to do so.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-04-2003, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I want it in writing, countable and accountable.
have you taken a look at the old farts that work the polls? I wouldn't trust them to count marbles! Let alone drive a car! And they do that too!
post #6 of 6 Old 12-04-2003, 11:53 AM

Quote:
How do you stay informed as a voter?
member of:
NRA
GOA
TSRA
2AO
and read all the alerts/news-letters

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Politics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page