Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

looking for mod feedback. anything worth the money?

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  1999BladeMan 
#1 ·
right now my 929 has a few small mods on it

2Bro's bolt on muffler, air box flapper mod, O2 simulator, Power commander
dyno tune 128 whp, under tail eliminator kit, flush mount turn signals, -1 front sprocket, double bubble screen. I have been itching to perhaps buy a couple things for the bike when I pull it out of storage upon returning from overseas assignment but don't want to waste money on parts that just look pretty and make no differance.

I have been considering the following mods. I intend on servicing the bike up with new fluids, tires, brake pads when I get it out of storage so these parts would be after that. I don't have tons of cash to throw around due to having way too many children so I have to spend my money smart and not on parts that have no decernable effect. I did most my previous mods before I had a family to take care of.

+2 rear sprocket (complement my -1 and give me a little more acceleration for a reasonable price)
adjustable levers ( possibly worth the money? I figured the adjustable lever may actually provide an improvment in my riding experiance but have never used them on a bike)
steering damper (I always hear the 929 has head shake coming off a corner but I havent experianced it myself sicne I havnet been to the track and usually wait untill I'm strait up again before getting hard on the throttle. I intend on getting to the track some when I get back but maybe I will wait until I have had this issue before spending the big money on a scotts)
Rear Sets (not sure if these will make any improvment but though i would add them to the list to see if people think they are worth it if going to the track for non racing lap days.

I know a lot of this is covered in past threads but the question of weather they are really worth doing dosn't come up as often. i figure the sprocket is a no brainer because of the reletive cost effectiveness vs performance but the other are less clear to weather they provide a meaningfull increase in the riding experiance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Really the only thing on that that is going to have any "effect" on the bike is the alteration of the sprocket. If you're not tracking right now then the steering damper is really overkill and the stock rear sets should be more than enough.

My 2 cents is just keep her clean and ride it and spend your money on the tires you will burn through :)

#3 ·
Really the only thing on that that is going to have any "effect" on the bike is the alteration of the sprocket. If you're not tracking right now then the steering damper is really overkill and the stock rear sets should be more than enough.

My 2 cents is just keep her clean and ride it and spend your money on the tires you will burn through :)

The +2 along with my -1 front will bring top end down to about 154mph is that right? Currently with the -1 I'm at about 164 top speed indicated with speedo healer correction which is questionable I know. I imagine I could do without that top end without missing it too much and the added kick in second and third would be a nice little addition.

#5 ·
I have a 929rr and have done most of the stuff your considering. The steering damper is expensive and really seems to cause more headache when at low speeds that its worth....just my opinion. The rearsets may make the ride more comfortable. ...maybe worth it but again very expensive. The levers are a bit cheaper and will make for a better feel. I did -1 in the front and feel the difference. ...a bit more pull...worth it but I dont like the added milage(need a healer still).
I got caught up in the "see how much money I can throw at it" mission to, but in the end just get it to a comfortable place for YOU the enjoy not having to spend anymore on it, its perfect the way it is. And this is comming from the ultimate"can't leave **** alone" fiddle with everything guy :)

#6 ·
yea I did most of my mods shortly after purchasing my bike. it was running a bit off at only 117whp when I brought it in for the tune. I was pretty happy when the tune yielded 11 more hp and considerable ridability. I did the -1 regear because I would run out of power before hitting the rev limit but that was also caused by the poor running of the bike when I got it so If I had done the tune first perhaps I wouldn't have bothered with the regear.

I really love the bike the way it is now but just happen to get into the mood to throw some parts on it if they would indeed make the bike more fun.

#9 · (Edited)
Suspension is as expensive as you want it to be. The latest and greatest Ohlins shock will probably cost more than your bike is worth. The forks could be as expensive as executive car. it doesn't need to be though, set the air gap in your forks, change the springs to ones that closely match your weight, have your shock serviced and possibly revalved, all would come in at under £400 I would think. If you want to spend less than that then just get it all serviced and setup for your weight. :)

#12 ·
The bike is in storage in the states until I PCS back this summer. Trying to get ideas now so I can save up what I need for the bike. would having the rear shock re sprung and re valved have as large of an impact as I hear?

I'm sure if I was to do suspension modifications I should wait until after my first track day so I could best measure the differance. I have never felt that my bike was anything other than sublime in the suspension department but to get it on the track then make the change would probably be much more noticable. I have good riding habits and technique but have never gotten me knee down or slid the rear because I only ride at 70%/99% of the time..

#14 ·
In my always humble opinion, the best money spent is usually on the operator upgrade. Get yourself some good lessons at a reputable "go fast" outfit, and you'll never look back. I hope to do it myself with Californai Superbike School in Oz sometime this year. I know I need to improve a lot, and I figure that's the best way to do it.

#15 ·
Many people speak highly of suspension upgrades. I have new springs, fluid, and bushings ready for my front forks (waiting on weather to cooperate). Race Tech offers a military discount of like 25% or so, makes a big difference in the price. For mine, installation without parts (labour only) is going to be about $125, plus I have $75 in bushings, clips, washers, then about $30 in fluid, and last about $100 for the springs shipped. If you didn't add that up while reading, grand total of about $330 for the forks to be set-up to me without the valves (they would run about $150 all-in from Race Tech). I'm not sure on the rear shock what should be done. When it comes down to it I am looking to just replace the stock Showa set up with one from Elka that can be had for about $600, and is easy enough to install at home =)

#16 ·
looked at the racetech offerings and calculator yesterday. looks like my stock rear spring is good for my weight but the front is too soft. Thats great to hear they have a good military discount. That should make it easier for me to afford their services. Once I have some track time in. I feel really comfortable on my bike and its never felt unsettled to me but my speeds are at street level so I'm sure once I get on the track and I am getting into more power on corner exits and such I will get more feedback from the bike to where I can judge if its neccisary. The operator upgrade part is that track time. I should be able to get some good feedback at the track from instructors if they are available otherwise hopefully I can have someone ride behind me at least and let me know if I'm doing anything wrong. I have done a lot of reading and improving over 12 years so I am fairly confident in my riding capabilitys but I'm sure the track will open my eyes to a lot of things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.