Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Clutch Question ?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  abtech 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 954 with 7000km on the clock, and just recently when I pull up at a set of traffic lights, with clutch pulled in the bike seems to surge. It feels like the clutch is grapping and the bike wants to roll on. The next time I stop it doesn't do it or if I select neutral then first gear again it doesn't do it. I have checked the oil level , adjusted the clutch lever freeplay all to no avail. As the clutch isn't covered under warranty plenty of dealers have offered to look at/ pull the clutch apart all at my cost. Has anybody else experienced this or has anybody got any ideas on what the cause is ?
:huh:

#3 ·
Synthetic should not be an issue as long as the oil does not say "energy conserving", some have mentioned issues with moly and clutches.Hope you figure it out,have you tried adjusting the clutch at the cover instead of the lever? :idunno:

#4 ·
I run Motul Full Synthetic with the OEM clutch and Barnnet Springs :thumb: My race bike has about 17k mile on it... I will never use any other clutch in my bike other then the OEM after going through all that Barrnet crap about a month ago Sounds like you just need an adjustment... I would look into replaceing the Oem Springs For the Barnnets springs only, its like a $15 upgrade and the time to change them... You can do it yourself in about 30 minutes... I can tell you how if you like, Unless you already know how too :thumb:

#5 ·
jafo said:
Synthetic should not be an issue as long as the oil does not say "energy conserving", some have mentioned issues with moly and clutches.Hope you figure it out,have you tried adjusting the clutch at the cover instead of the lever? :idunno:

No I have'nt tried adjusting it at the cover, did'nt think there was a need for it because I still have plenty of adjustment at the lever. But there is no harm in trying . Thanks :)

#6 ·
SilverBullet said:
Just curious, are you running synthetic oil? I'm not sure if anyone else has heard of this, but the lady at one of my local Honda Stealerships said they have seen a few bikes come in with the clutch gone bad, and all were using synthetic. Anyone?

Yes I am using synthetic oil but if my clutch had "gone bad " it should be doing it all the time ???????? Thanks :thumb:

#7 ·
The type of problem you describe is not the type of problem associated with moly in the oil. You describe a case where the clutch is not fully disengaging (you say surge) and it is dragging while the lever is pulled in. The problems with moly based oil are slippage under load and not dragging. I would guess that your cable may have stretched or is kinked or is not moving freely inside the sheath. As mentioned, I would try adjusting it at the cover. If this doesn't work, you may have a distorted or worn plate(s) or weak springs (already mentioned).

One thing to keep in mind: When servicing a clutch, you need to replace all components as a unit. If you just replace the steel plates or just the springs, you will quickly wear out these new components from the other older pieces you didn't replace. Replace all plates, both steel and friction and replace the springs as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.