Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org

Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   cooked Ecu. (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/general-discussion/132134-cooked-ecu.html)

Derek Adams 07-22-2019 2:13 AM

cooked Ecu.

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone know what caused this on a 1994 CBR900RR please it was oozing a very thick sticky gooey mess.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/at...1&d=1563772058

IanDoohan 07-24-2019 11:08 AM

Re: cooked Ecu.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Adams (Post 1699355046)
Anyone know what caused this on a 1994 CBR900RR please it was oozing a very thick sticky gooey mess.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/at...1&d=1563772058

Never seen anything like that on a carbied 900.

Whatís the background of the bike? Was there a fire under the seat?

The only typical electrical issue with the older 900ís is the charging system cooks itself or itís various components.

Aside from any other problem you might have had, I would say the stator connector melted and/or started a fire and the ECU was collateral damage.

Is there anything else bedsides the under tray and ECU damaged?

Got more pics of surrounding area?

Oh, and the ECU is generally ďsuspendedĒ in silicone, so thatís the ooze you saw.

Derek Adams 07-24-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanDoohan (Post 1699355118)
Never seen anything like that on a carbied 900.

Whatís the background of the bike? Was there a fire under the seat?

The only typical electrical issue with the older 900ís is the charging system cooks itself or itís various components.

Aside from any other problem you might have had, I would say the stator connector melted and/or started a fire and the ECU was collateral damage.

Is there anything else bedsides the under tray and ECU damaged?

Got more pics of surrounding area?

Oh, and the ECU is generally ďsuspendedĒ in silicone, so thatís the ooze you saw.

Thanks so much for your input, so silicone was the gooey mess.
No fire and I've never seen anything like it either with a CDi unit.
Had a '93 blade for 12 years and never a problem.
History is ran for 19 years and sadly dumped for 6 years, seller lied but it was cheap anyhow so just going through check process.
The stator checked out on the multimeter and there's no other visional damage other than neglect.
Gonna take me a while checking the loom wiring & relays. :laugh
Regards.

IanDoohan 07-24-2019 6:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Adams (Post 1699355120)
Thanks so much for your input, so silicone was the gooey mess.
No fire and I've never seen anything like it either with a CDi unit.
Had a '93 blade for 12 years and never a problem.
History is ran for 19 years and sadly dumped for 6 years, seller lied but it was cheap anyhow so just going through check process.
The stator checked out on the multimeter and there's no other visional damage other than neglect.
Gonna take me a while checking the loom wiring & relays. :laugh
Regards.

Wow, I have a 93 thatís been in service since itís inception. Been crashed, modded, remodded and running great since 2013. The charging components have been changed, but everything else has been proper.

Chalk it up to unexplainable if no evidence of anything else, eBay a CDI and carry on.

Derek Adams 07-25-2019 8:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by IanDoohan (Post 1699355122)
Wow, I have a 93 thatís been in service since itís inception. Been crashed, modded, remodded and running great since 2013. The charging components have been changed, but everything else has been proper.

Chalk it up to unexplainable if no evidence of anything else, eBay a CDI and carry on.

Found this today I think my ancient multimeter is telling porkies will get a new one and check the stator again surely only a stator could have enough voltage to cook things.

67792063_10157561142525990_4110222937074696192_n.j pg

Scutter 07-25-2019 8:20 PM

As previously stated they do like to cook the electrics under the seat, usually just down to age and corrosion. Honda's are, of course, also notorious for the reg/rec. I found changing the multi plug going into it helps and chopping out the corroded cables and replacing them. A good dose of something like ACF50 stops the corrosion. My RRP was a bastard for it until I did the above, haven't had a problem since, touch wood.

Derek Adams 07-26-2019 2:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scutter (Post 1699355152)
As previously stated they do like to cook the electrics under the seat, usually just down to age and corrosion. Honda's are, of course, also notorious for the reg/rec. I found changing the multi plug going into it helps and chopping out the corroded cables and replacing them. A good dose of something like ACF50 stops the corrosion. My RRP was a bastard for it until I did the above, haven't had a problem since, touch wood.

Yeah many thanks for some tech support any help is gladly needed that's why joined up here, bike neglected for 6 years so yeah some corrosion but dirt build up is worse.

The bike started life in Thailand and wiring has been messed about with, found wiring diagram which gives me some idea what wire should be where. :grin

Ordering parts for a 1994 blade where I live is not easy, will have to travel to a big bike Honda main dealer.

Quality aftermarket will do after checking stuff and what to replace.
Was your reg/rec aftermarket ?

Scutter 07-26-2019 10:05 AM

Replacement reg/rec came from Dave Silvers, multi plugs are available on eBay.

machinehead 07-28-2019 1:05 PM

My r/r just failed and I was reading that some people use Yamaha R1 r/r as they are more reliable.

Derek Adams 07-30-2019 7:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinehead (Post 1699355196)
My r/r just failed and I was reading that some people use Yamaha R1 r/r as they are more reliable.

Thanks buddy many things electrical on this bike is a problem, any help with it is appreciated.
Mechanically checking out Ok so that's good news.