Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org

Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/)
-   Off-Topic (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/off-topic/)
-   -   Buying stuff over the internet. (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/off-topic/24360-buying-stuff-over-internet.html)

Mangina 06-01-2004 1:01 PM

Buying stuff over the internet.

Just another question. I found a guy in Ontario that has a bolt on pipe I want to buy. I just fell a little uncomfortable sending this guy money and them him sending me the pipe, especially since I'm on the other side of the country. Is there anything I can do so I'm not on the hook if it turns out this guy just takes my money and I never here from him again? It's a good deal so I kind of really want it. Help a brother out.

stegen 06-01-2004 1:04 PM

Re: Buying stuff over the internet.

Mangina 06-01-2004 1:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stegen

Thanks but I guess a little more info would help. The guy works at a parts place and gets a 25% discount. The parts not sitting around at his house or anything. So he would basically have to buy it out of his own money, then wait for me to pay him. I'm pretty sure he won't go for that. Any other ideas?

Serial Thriller 06-01-2004 1:51 PM

I've bought lots of stuff from people on the net over the last 5 years or so, and I've been very lucky.
I like to use Paypal. That gives you some recourse if you get ripped off.
Some people like to talk to the person they're dealing with on the phone and see what kind of vibe they get. Some only deal with people within a certain driving distance in case you need to pay them a visit.
I guess it depends on your comfort level. I have a limit on how much I'll spend on such transactions.

OSIRIS 06-01-2004 1:53 PM

Find another pipe from somewhere else...seems like a lot to go through for just a bolt on :twocents:

Newfie TLR 06-01-2004 2:36 PM

Where in Ontario?? If it's anywhere close to Windsor, I can maybe help you out a bit.

stegen 06-01-2004 3:07 PM

escrow is a median for sales. you send the money to escrow, he sends you the pipe then when you says its good, he gets the money.

dB 06-01-2004 3:42 PM

Don't want to be a stick in the mud, here, but it seems odd to me that someone you don't know is using his employee discount to sell you a can. That wasn't kosher when I was a parts slinger.

stegen 06-01-2004 7:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dB
Don't want to be a stick in the mud, here, but it seems odd to me that someone you don't know is using his employee discount to sell you a can. That wasn't kosher when I was a parts slinger.

good point, scam

Mangina 06-01-2004 7:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stegen
good point, scam

Yeah, I found someone in town that will cost a few bucks more but at least I know it isn't shady.

SomeStrangeGuy 06-01-2004 8:43 PM

have you already asked around @ the local bike forum to see if anyone else has done buisness with the dude?

Im in agreement that if it seems to good to be true, it is. What incentive does he have selling it to you for 25% off list (well, unless he's buying it at cost :D).