Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org

Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/)
-   Off-Topic (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/off-topic/)
-   -   OBDII Tools (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/off-topic/38278-obdii-tools.html)

sheepofblue 07-17-2005 12:28 PM

OBDII Tools

I got off the plane at 3AM after a long delay only to get in the car and have my check engine light on :rant: Since it is an '04 I am thinking of getting an OBDII tool and doing it myself. I was looking at the Equus 3100 at $115 or 3110 at $199 does anyone have these? I don't need some professional tool that I get paid to use but I hate crappy tools or something that only half does the job. Also I need it today so no online orders or exotica :down:

Thanks for the help

ND4SPD 07-17-2005 1:20 PM

Re: OBDII Tools

Replace your O2 sensors. If they're still the original ones, it's probably what it is.

sheepofblue 07-17-2005 1:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ND4SPD
Replace your O2 sensors. If they're still the original ones, it's probably what it is.

Thanks only 40K on it but it was setting out in an open lot during the hurricane (when it got to Hsv) so I am fearing a nearby lightning strike :crap: either way I need to reset the code and have 2 vehicles that I could use the tool with (plus it is an excuse to get a tool ;) )

SomeStrangeGuy 07-18-2005 12:52 AM

Screw that crap!

100$ @ your local sears should get you a CarChip , for an extra 50$ (150$ ttl) you can get a CarChip E/X. These are plug in, stand alone modules that live on your OBDII port and record vehicle data. You can read trouble codes, log data, all sorts of handy junk with these things - just unplug from vehicle and plug into laptop, download it and voila.

I have an E/X in my Civic and it resets my CEL (check engine..) and helped me to diagnose an intermittently funky mass air sensor in my work van too. These little things are priceless. Specially priceless when you loan your truck/car out to someone else and you really want to know how they take care of it :).

Check out www.davisnet.com (click automotive - carchip) for more details.

SomeStrangeGuy 07-18-2005 12:52 AM

No linkage - but these are pretty available on fleabay as well :)

sheepofblue 07-18-2005 1:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeStrangeGuy
Screw that crap!

100$ @ your local sears should get you a CarChip , for an extra 50$ (150$ ttl) you can get a CarChip E/X. These are plug in, stand alone modules that live on your OBDII port and record vehicle data. You can read trouble codes, log data, all sorts of handy junk with these things - just unplug from vehicle and plug into laptop, download it and voila.

I have an E/X in my Civic and it resets my CEL (check engine..) and helped me to diagnose an intermittently funky mass air sensor in my work van too. These little things are priceless. Specially priceless when you loan your truck/car out to someone else and you really want to know how they take care of it :).

Check out www.davisnet.com (click automotive - carchip) for more details.

Interesting does it read the manufacturers specific codes also or just the required ones?

sheepofblue 07-18-2005 1:03 AM

:eek:
Chevrolet, Dodge, GMC, Pontiac, Toyota Highlander, or Toyota Celica: May cause some or all of the dashboard lights to flash occasionally in some models.
:eek:

Never mind I have a Pontiac and a GMC :eek:

SomeStrangeGuy 07-18-2005 2:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepofblue
Never mind I have a Pontiac and a GMC :eek:

My dash lights blink every time I turn the key :smilebig:

sheepofblue 07-18-2005 9:36 AM

Quote:

My dash lights blink every time I turn the key :smilebig:

That was in their might be an issue section. Read closer this is not startup but a random event :eek:

CRU 07-18-2005 10:54 AM

Stop by an auto parts store. Most of them have OBDII scanners they will let you use.

My truck kicked on the check engine light a couple of days ago. I stopped by a parts store and they ran the codes for me. Codes were for lean fuel on both the 1st and 2nd banks. An indication of bad O2 sensors. After a little research and some engine troubleshooting, it turns out to be a vacuum leak in the intake system. Will cost about $30 to fix compared to $262 for all new O2 sensors. I'll be fixing it this next weekend.

SomeStrangeGuy 07-19-2005 2:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepofblue
That was in their might be an issue section. Read closer this is not startup but a random event :eek:

Let me guess, you don't eat stuff with Olestra either, do ya? :D

sheepofblue 07-19-2005 9:11 AM

Quote:

Let me guess, you don't eat stuff with Olestra either, do ya? :D

No

Intimidator 07-20-2005 5:11 PM

FWIW, I have the Equus 3100 and it works great.

sheepofblue 07-20-2005 5:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intimidator
FWIW, I have the Equus 3100 and it works great.

Do you know anything about the 3110? It can do CAN also :idunno: I got the codes and will be fixing it but I still want my own scanner :D