Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

K&N air intake

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  fallenrockzone 
#1 ·
i know the oils from K&N air intakes are bad for cars due to the OBD2 sensors. do motorcycles have these and will it affect my bike. i dont know much about motorcycle mechanics. my brother is a car mechanic and inflates my head with so much. to bad bikes and cars aren't the same.

#2 ·
why would the oils from the K&N filter be bad for a cars OBD2 sensors.

at most it would affect the mas air flow sensor or mayybe a throttle positioning sensor or an O2 sensor?

the last one i highly doubt because the oils should get burnt up in the combustion process.

i doubt that it will cause any problems with the trottle positioning sensor as well.

and last but not least is the mass air flow sensor and ......... well maybe but thats only if your filter is so gobbed with oil that it actually covers the sensor itself. and your filter probally isnt flowing all that well either at that point as well.

#5 ·
oops. i ment mass air flow sensor. An OBD2 sensor when out on my ranger so i guess it was just on my mind. and yeah, it ended up costing him more hp than he gained due to the oil clogging everything up. anyways, im an electrician not a mechanic. my brother tells me whats right and wrong and it usually works. but he doesn't know anything about bikes.

is a K&N worth Putting on?

#7 ·
Stock filters allow more air flow compared to the K&N ones (on the 954RR that is) - also if you dont get your bike set up to run 100% with it, then its a waste of time and money. Stick to stock and buy yourself a PC3 :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.