Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org

Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/)
-   Honda CBR 600 (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-cbr-600/)
-   -   New Rider! Any advice on a 91 CBR 600? (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-cbr-600/72308-new-rider-any-advice-91-cbr-600-a.html)

markdm3 01-25-2009 3:52 AM

New Rider! Any advice on a 91 CBR 600?

Hey guys I had been debating on getting a bike for a while, and I finally did it. I have always wanted a CBR and decided to go on the cheaper end since it is my first bike. A couple of my friends have CBRs and they helped me learn to ride and everything.

So today I bought a 91 CBR 600 F2. It seems like a pretty good bike so far. Do any of you know much about that year and model of a bike? How do you like it? Are there any problems that you have come across? Is there anything else I should know? Thanks for your help!

marty_400 01-25-2009 3:43 PM

Re: New Rider! Any advice on a 91 CBR 600?

Quote:

Originally Posted by markdm3 (Post 764027)
Hey guys I had been debating on getting a bike for a while, and I finally did it. I have always wanted a CBR and decided to go on the cheaper end since it is my first bike. A couple of my friends have CBRs and they helped me learn to ride and everything.

So today I bought a 91 CBR 600 F2. It seems like a pretty good bike so far. Do any of you know much about that year and model of a bike? How do you like it? Are there any problems that you have come across? Is there anything else I should know? Thanks for your help!

Hiya Mark,

Enjoy the bike! Don't worry about breakdowns until it happens. Just do the weekly checks and look forward to the summer!

Some proper R&G crash bungs woulde be a good idea - especially for the 1st big bike.

Spend cash on good leathrs and crash helmets - leave the performance mods once you are safely wrapped up.

enjoy!

Cheers
Martin

segiano 01-25-2009 5:57 PM

I had my 92 F2 for 8 years. Great bike. I had very few problems. Like Marty said, get yourself some good riding gear before you spend any money on modifications. All I ever did to mine was a better flowing air filter and a D&D full exhaust. Enjoy the bike.

cool465 01-25-2009 9:24 PM

Congrats on finally making the plunge!:thumb:
Put some pictures up...lets see that mean machine:smilebig:
Also, like everyone else said. Spend the money on a jacket and helmet. remember...you only have one head

shakey1378 01-28-2009 12:42 PM

like these guys said make sure you get all your protective gear first. just get out and ride as much as you can, only way to really gain experience and confidence. seeing as the bike is used i would inspect and replace if needed, brake pads, brake lines, change the oil and filters. also i would see if any of your friends or a local bike shop can help you set your suspension sag to make sure your setup is at least closer to what is good for your weight. most used bikes will need some suspension work to be perfect for the new riders weight range.

maintenance and your own learning curve should be your main concern. its a good idea to spend time talking with experienced riders. one of the most common mistakes i see with new riders is where they ride in relation to the road. some free advice, stay out of the center of the lane. reason it is so dark, its an oil slick. drives me batty when i see bikes in the center of the lane. always try to make sure you have a way out in traffic should things get crazy