Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org

Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/)
-   Honda FireBlade (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/)
-   -   Performance Upgrades (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/75808-performance-upgrades.html)

Go410s 05-22-2009 2:28 AM

Performance Upgrades

I have a 2003 CBR 954 RR that is stock except for a Yoshi slip on. I want to change the whole exhaust out and add a power commander for better performance any ideas out there? Thanks

bladeracer 05-22-2009 3:02 AM

Re: Performance Upgrades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go410s (Post 815124)
I have a 2003 CBR 954 RR that is stock except for a Yoshi slip on. I want to change the whole exhaust out and add a power commander for better performance any ideas out there? Thanks

Ideas regarding what exactly - how to do it?

Go410s 05-22-2009 3:06 AM

Ideas on what products to buy for the best possible match-up for the upgrade. Guess I should have been more clear on the question for recommendations.

bladeracer 05-22-2009 3:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go410s (Post 815129)
Ideas on what products to buy for the best possible match-up for the upgrade. Guess I should have been more clear on the question for recommendations.

Well, my only interests are weight loss and power gain - I don't care about looks or sound. For that I'd go with something high-end in full titanium - Akrapovic, Arata, Sato, TiForce, Arrow and the like are good.
You said you have a slip-on but do you mean a bolt-on or a slip-on with a mid-pipe? If it is then you _might_ be able to get just the Yosh header and use your muffler on that. If it's a bolt-on I don't know of any aftermarket headers that take a bolt-on muffler.
I don't know what you mean by match-up since you said it's all stock and you're only fitting an exhaust system. What do you want it to match up with?
The PC3 is purely for tuning whatever modifications you make to the engine.

Go410s 05-22-2009 3:27 AM

I am willing to do motor work too, for more power. I just don't really know where to start. I've been told that exhaust, PC3, intake and engine modifications (didn't specify exactly what engine modifications), are the way to go but I wanted to get your opinions, I think the guy telling me this trash, is trying to set me up for failure and cause damage to my bike (he is a pure cruiser guy). So any information is a plus for me thanks.

bladeracer 05-22-2009 3:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go410s (Post 815131)
I am willing to do motor work too, for more power. I just don't really know where to start. I've been told that exhaust, PC3, intake and engine modifications (didn't specify exactly what engine modifications), are the way to go but I wanted to get your opinions, I think the guy telling me this trash, is trying to set me up for failure and cause damage to my bike (he is a pure cruiser guy). So any information is a plus for me thanks.

Okay.
First, what sort of power are you chasing and what's it to be used for?
A full race exhaust system will give you the biggest single increase in peak power although you'll probably lose some midrange.
The PC3 will allow you to regain as much of the losses as possible though.
A set of race cams would probably give you the next biggest gain.
520 chain and lightweight sprockets are good bang for buck.
After that it becomes much more expensive for each additional hp.
Probably the best would be magnesium or carbon wheels as you gain power as well as improve the suspension, braking and steering of the bike.

Go410s 05-22-2009 3:53 AM

I dont really know what power I am chasing I do want to be able to take it to the track once in awhile and still be able to ride it on the street every day too. Right now I would say I would like more mid to top end power, for now.
The bike is my preferred daily rider (besides my cruiser). I've read that going -1 on the front sprocket is a good upgrade to reach that mid to top increase. But I've never worked on bikes before either. I have worked on cars though (I know bikes are different).

bladeracer 05-22-2009 3:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go410s (Post 815149)
I dont really know what power I am chasing I do want to be able to take it to the track once in awhile and still be able to ride it on the street every day too. Right now I would say I would like more mid to top end power, for now.
The bike is my preferred daily rider (besides my cruiser). I've read that going -1 on the front sprocket is a good upgrade to reach that mid to top increase. But I've never worked on bikes before either. I have worked on cars though (I know bikes are different).

If you haven't been riding long then I wouldn't waste your money chasing power. Spend your money on track time and learning to ride - that'll let you ride a _lot_ faster than any power gains will.
Dropping a front tooth makes for a more enjoyable bike but it doesn't give you any more power.

Go410s 05-22-2009 4:09 AM

I appreciate the information. I've been riding street bikes for about 7 years and I never did any upgrades on them before. That's why its new to me in that aspect.

I have been wanting to get on the track to play around more since it is a lot safer than the streets. Thanks.

bladeracer 05-22-2009 4:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go410s (Post 815153)
I appreciate the information. I've been riding street bikes for about 7 years and I never did any upgrades on them before. That's why its new to me in that aspect.

I have been wanting to get on the track to play around more since it is a lot safer than the streets. Thanks.

All you need to keep in mind is that power does not win races. At some tracks 120hp 600cc Supersport bikes lap faster than the 200hp 1000cc Superbikes :-)

alottaboost 05-22-2009 9:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bladeracer (Post 815154)
All you need to keep in mind is that power does not win races. At some tracks 120hp 600cc Supersport bikes lap faster than the 200hp 1000cc Superbikes :-)

Yep I agree. Learn to ride the bike to it's full potential before worrying about adding more power than you can effectively use. Look at the 'Busa. Sure it can go fast in a straight line, but what's the point. Sportbikes are meant to be driven hard and fast in any circumstance.

matt.k 05-22-2009 7:23 PM

I know on my blade I would be more interested in dropping weight than adding HP at this point I think.

never should have ridden my buddys 600rr. makes my bike feel soo heavy

bladeracer 05-22-2009 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt.k (Post 815352)
I know on my blade I would be more interested in dropping weight than adding HP at this point I think.

Reducing weight is the first thing I do when I get a bike. Everything that isn't required comes off and everything that is required gets lightened or replaced with something that is lighter.

Go410s 05-22-2009 9:52 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice! What are some of the things I could do to reduce the weight?

bladeracer 05-22-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go410s (Post 815389)
Thanks everyone for the advice! What are some of the things I could do to reduce the weight?

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...ckability.html