Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org

Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/)
-   Honda FireBlade (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/)
-   -   charging issues 03 954 (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/97153-charging-issues-03-954-a.html)

marksbkr 01-30-2012 12:42 AM

charging issues 03 954

My bike runs great once started sometimes loose lights and gauges than the battery seems to be dead. After jump starting the bike it runs fine again but battery does not charge few days and rides later battery started bike then later was dead again. Changed the battery and after a few days back to the same problem could it be my stator?? I have co corrosion on terminals or loose wires don't want to spend a lot of money for nothing ..

bladeracer 01-30-2012 4:11 AM

Re: charging issues 03 954

Quote:

Originally Posted by marksbkr (Post 1053639)
My bike runs great once started sometimes loose lights and gauges than the battery seems to be dead. After jump starting the bike it runs fine again but battery does not charge few days and rides later battery started bike then later was dead again. Changed the battery and after a few days back to the same problem could it be my stator?? I have co corrosion on terminals or loose wires don't want to spend a lot of money for nothing ..

You need a multimeter and a manual to do the tests of the charging system to determine if something has failed.

52brandon 01-30-2012 4:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bladeracer (Post 1053657)
You need a multimeter and a manual to do the tests of the charging system to determine if something has failed.

harbor freight is your friend with this. My multimeter cost me like $25, and it has way more settings than I could ever use

marksbkr 01-30-2012 5:50 AM

When I tested the battery at idle and 5000 rpm im only getting around 12.4 volts I have read I should be getting more like 13-15

bladeracer 01-30-2012 7:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marksbkr (Post 1053673)
When I tested the battery at idle and 5000 rpm im only getting around 12.4 volts I have read I should be getting more like 13-15

That's right. You just need to determine whether one of the components has failed or if there is a bad connection.

r15suk 01-30-2012 3:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bladeracer (Post 1053689)
That's right. You just need to determine whether one of the components has failed or if there is a bad connection.

It's most likely to be the reg/rect if not a bad connection. This changes the ac voltage from the alternator to dc and then regulates the voltage to be about 14 volts for charging the battery. These have commonly caused problems on many blades in the past.

If its not this then its likely to be the alternator, but not a common fault on 954's.

Cheers
Simon

bladeracer 01-30-2012 3:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r15suk (Post 1053752)
It's most likely to be the reg/rect if not a bad connection. This changes the ac voltage from the alternator to dc and then regulates the voltage to be about 14 volts for charging the battery. These have commonly caused problems on many blades in the past.

If its not this then its likely to be the alternator, but not a common fault on 954's.

Cheers
Simon

Stator failures are very common on the 929, 954 and 1000RR.
On the 900RR I think perhaps the regulators are more common to fail than the stators.

r15suk 01-30-2012 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bladeracer (Post 1053753)
Stator failures are very common on the 929, 954 and 1000RR.
On the 900RR I think perhaps the regulators are more common to fail than the stators.

I never knew that they were common on 954's. I knew about 929's and of course the recall on some of the 1000's. You live and learn :)

hfb 01-30-2012 6:11 PM

Had issue's with my charging system, which was fluctuating between 12.5v to 13.5v. Did all the tests in the manual and all the readings were ok. So did a couple of checks on the reg/rec which were ok. So decided to remove the stator to check it, some of the wires were a little blackened, but continuaty test passed so a little confused. so refitted the stator and started the motorcyle with stator disconnected from the bikes loom and put a 55w bulb across two terminals of the stator and measured the voltage across the bulb in ac and it was'nt kicking out much voltage across two of the phases and would hardley light the bulb up even revving the bike up. so this suggested that 2 of the phases were braking down under load. So replaced the stator and rotor with a modified kit. Problem solved. So the manual tests don't always prove the problem.

bladeracer 01-30-2012 8:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfb (Post 1053771)
Had issue's with my charging system, which was fluctuating between 12.5v to 13.5v. Did all the tests in the manual and all the readings were ok. So did a couple of checks on the reg/rec which were ok. So decided to remove the stator to check it, some of the wires were a little blackened, but continuaty test passed so a little confused. so refitted the stator and started the motorcyle with stator disconnected from the bikes loom and put a 55w bulb across two terminals of the stator and measured the voltage across the bulb in ac and it was'nt kicking out much voltage across two of the phases and would hardley light the bulb up even revving the bike up. so this suggested that 2 of the phases were braking down under load. So replaced the stator and rotor with a modified kit. Problem solved. So the manual tests don't always prove the problem.

The stator was putting out the expected 50-70VAC on all three phases but it wouldn't light the bulb?

hfb 01-31-2012 6:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bladeracer (Post 1053783)
The stator was putting out the expected 50-70VAC on all three phases but it wouldn't light the bulb?

sorry BR did'nt explain myself to well, my haynes manual does'nt explain how to check the alternator output in Ac volts. The spec just says 421 [email protected] 5000rpm i am guessing there is a formula to work out ac volts into watts but the manual does'nt explain this. so the ac voltage on two of the phases were very low hence the dim bulb but had no VAC figures to go by.

CBRR 02-06-2012 5:41 AM

Mostly;
  • Checking the resistances, between each of the phases are identical
  • Checking that there is no resistance to the body of the bike
  • as well as noting the output voltages for each phase are between 30 - 70 v and also identical
Will determine of the generator is good or not.

However.... the internal resistances are very low and maybe difficult to compare accurately and occasionally breakdown might only occur on load. So checking the output with a bulb or similar is a good idea, providing you donít gun the motor too much as that will over load the bulb!

Unfortunately these generators are incredible unreliable L someone said on here somewhere that the CBVR1000RR last only about 20K miles.
My 07 has done 18K and has just fryed :thumbd::crying::rant: