Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org

Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/)
-   Honda FireBlade (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/)
-   -   Startor Cover Cracked ... (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/98333-startor-cover-cracked.html)

santiag0 04-12-2012 3:21 AM

Startor Cover Cracked ...

Long story short, my bike was dropped at a stand-still and the startor cover cracked enough (hairline about 3 inches vertical) for oil to leak everywhere. :huh:

I bought some Permatex and sealed the crack right after it happened.

Unfortunately it was a rushed job and there is still a slight leak, enough to leak a couple drops of oil every day.

Contemplating my options to remedy this temporary fix and would appreciate advice:

1. Drain oil take off startor cover and do a better job sealing it

2. Take off startor cover remove sealant and weld the crack

3. Buy new startor cover, there are Chinese ones from eBay that are $60. I'm guessing you get what you pay for but I could be wrong, anyone have experience with these? ( HONDA CBR929 2000 2001 Stator Cover Engine Crankcase New | eBay)

Appreciate any feedback

bladeracer 04-12-2012 6:45 AM

Re: Startor Cover Cracked ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by santiag0 (Post 1067238)
Long story short, my bike was dropped at a stand-still and the startor cover cracked enough (hairline about 3 inches vertical) for oil to leak everywhere. :huh:

I bought some Permatex and sealed the crack right after it happened.

Unfortunately it was a rushed job and there is still a slight leak, enough to leak a couple drops of oil every day.

Contemplating my options to remedy this temporary fix and would appreciate advice:

1. Drain oil take off startor cover and do a better job sealing it

2. Take off startor cover remove sealant and weld the crack

3. Buy new startor cover, there are Chinese ones from eBay that are $60. I'm guessing you get what you pay for but I could be wrong, anyone have experience with these? ( HONDA CBR929 2000 2001 Stator Cover Engine Crankcase New | eBay)

Appreciate any feedback

Are you sure you haven't cracked the crankcase behind the stator cover as it's very common on these.
Personally I would probably just weld if it's still straight.
A Chinese cover couldn't be any weaker than the OEM Honda one so I would happily try it.
COVER, ALTERNATOR - Search : 11321-MCJ-305

crazie929 04-12-2012 10:42 AM

I would jus replace it but like bladeracer said make sure th crack isnt on th crank case an th oil ur seeing on th stator cover isn't jus run off.

curbaez 04-12-2012 12:58 PM

If you dont want to lose the rest of the oil you can lean the bike to the right side and hold it with some 4x4, about 24inches or so.

I did that before, so much easier but again ON YOU OWN RISK, be careful how you lean the bike, I will also put an other 2x4 behind the rear tire and one on front too, if you are not ok with this then buy a oil pan from your auto parts shop and drain out the oil.

Like or not you need to replace the stator cover.

Good luck

santiag0 04-13-2012 2:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bladeracer (Post 1067262)
Are you sure you haven't cracked the crankcase behind the stator cover as it's very common on these.
Personally I would probably just weld if it's still straight.
A Chinese cover couldn't be any weaker than the OEM Honda one so I would happily try it.
COVER, ALTERNATOR - Search : 11321-MCJ-305

Hm never thought of it, to be honest I thought the crank case and stator cover were the same thing. Will I see the crank case after taking the stator cover and gasket out?

bladeracer 04-13-2012 5:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santiag0 (Post 1067505)
Hm never thought of it, to be honest I thought the crank case and stator cover were the same thing. Will I see the crank case after taking the stator cover and gasket out?

The crankcase is the "engine" itself, the stator cover simply bolts to the crankcase.