Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org

Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/)
-   Honda FireBlade (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/)
-   -   Lip on front sprocket oil seal???? (https://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/98534-lip-front-sprocket-oil-seal.html)

davrosxuk 04-23-2012 4:55 PM

Lip on front sprocket oil seal????

Hello folks I have leak on my front sprocket seal on my cbr 600 which is identical to the seal used on my 929....it has a lip which locates into a groove in the case.....my after market replacement does not have this lip so I was thinking of removing the old one with a slide hammer and tapping the new one in place but I am a little worried about the lack of that lip.....any ideas??????

bladeracer 04-24-2012 1:58 AM

Re: Lip on front sprocket oil seal????

Quote:

Originally Posted by davrosxuk (Post 1069986)
Hello folks I have leak on my front sprocket seal on my cbr 600 which is identical to the seal used on my 929....it has a lip which locates into a groove in the case.....my after market replacement does not have this lip so I was thinking of removing the old one with a slide hammer and tapping the new one in place but I am a little worried about the lack of that lip.....any ideas??????

Usually if the seal has no retaining lip then it is held in by a retainer plate fixed over it.
Is there enough room to glue the new seal on top of the old one?
Otherwise you can only try it, knowing that if it does come out that you'll have to spilt the cases to replace it properly. I really can't recommend using the non-retained seal on its own though because if it does pop out you can expect to get a _lot_ of oil onto the rear tyre in an instant.

davrosxuk 04-24-2012 2:11 AM

BUGGER....I thought you might say that :crying:cheers bladeracer mate, I will look into spliting the cases then

bladeracer 04-24-2012 2:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davrosxuk (Post 1070096)
BUGGER....I thought you might say that :crying:cheers bladeracer mate, I will look into spliting the cases then

Try the glue idea first if there's room. I did it on a VT250 some years ago and it worked just fine with no further problems. If it fails you're no worse off. Be sure to polish the shaft first though as that part of it is likely to be crudded up with dirt and chain lube since it sits outside the seal.

davrosxuk 04-24-2012 12:33 PM

there is just enough room to give it a go...I will let you know how it goes mate

mdamaso 04-24-2012 2:52 PM

I had the same issue a couple years back. I just cleaned it real well and glued it in and hasn't leaked yet. Its a pain in the rear to get the old one out and remember to empty to oil first :-). If you have the knowledge and skill to split the cases I'd say do that, but you need to buy the OEM seal first. Good Luck!