Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Looky what I got :)

9K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  oldbastard 
#1 ·
So I guess this would be the best place for me to brag about and show off what I recently purchased, and to document how im going to make it even better!

I have been taking lots of pictures, but the sad part is ever since photo****et messed everyone up, I haven't found a good hosting site that I like. I take all my pictures with my phone (samsung s7) so I'm trying to find a way I can load them directly from the phone to the forum and have them come up as a picture and not a link.

So for the time being, check the link for teaser pic...

Story of the bike go's somthing like this....
From what I know I'm the 3rd owner, it clearly has been laid down at some point, but was repaired enough to ride. Originally a California bike, but all emissions have been removed. I Purchase it to be mainly a fun track oriented bike with occasional trips to work or weekend trips to the mountain, but like I said, the bike will have a more track oriented build.

When I came across the for sale add and realized the bike had full ohlins suspension i didn't hesitate to pull the purchase trigger. Made a few phone calls and with in a week it was at my house (I live in Olympia, WA and the bike was in California so some arragments had to be made but all went smoothly). The bike also comes with a full akro system, I believe it's just the stainless and not the ty, but still it's in pretty good shape. Also has a scotts dampened, and the bike has been tuned on the dyno and is putting down roughly 138hp.

Im not a huge fan of all black, I like flashy things, so this off season it will be getting a repaint. But for now, I just wanna enjoy it. The bike was really in need of some detail TLC, lots of screws missing or in the wrong place, loose wires, things of that sort. The biggest thing it was in need of was a new subframe, the old one was bent pretty bad. I have had the bike about 2 weeks now and have repaired or replaced most everything. I will post more detail stuff about the things I have done, and future plans as they happen.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
If you use the paperclip thumb to attach your image(s), then (before posting) click on the LINK, it should bring the image up. Then, cut & paste the address into your post flanked by ---> [img ] & [/img ] (without the space between the g and the ]), and voila!

I know it's a PITA, but it allows you to post a "full-sized" picture until something EASIER comes along.

oh... nice bike, and welcome to our beloved .org :hi:

#11 ·
I have the same problem with this site. If I originally took the picture in landscape, no matter how I try to edit and rotate, it still ends up like that. Once in a while.

If that Ohlins is properly sprung for you, and sag setting, etc. are close, you got a wicked canyon carver.
Watched my buddy set his 954 with the gold stuff, an Akra and PC dyno tuned, and I couldn't keep up with him anymore. He would check out on me. :grin

Nice looking bike, great foundation, keep us up on the changes. I'm sure they'll be interesting.

Cheers! :cheers:

#8 ·
Without running out to Serenity to compare (or even pulling up a pic)... those are not the stock forks.... Pretty sure after 4+ years of having an RR2 I am moderately qualified to make such an observation =] Any clue as to what they are?

:welcome: to the .org by the way! Always good to see new folks... especially on one of my all-time favorite 'Blades =]

#10 ·
Without running out to Serenity to compare (or even pulling up a pic)... those are not the stock forks.... Pretty sure after 4+ years of having an RR2 I am moderately qualified to make such an observation =] Any clue as to what they are?

:welcome: to the .org by the way! Always good to see new folks... especially on one of my all-time favorite 'Blades =]
Whoopsie... :rotfl: :poke: :stirpot:

#13 ·
Well damn... so much for reading =P It does say right there.... I got distracted by the picture! If I am not mistaken I was looking at an Ohlins setup for Serenity a couple years ago, they were not cheap, but they were available. I may have found them used though.... hard to remember for how much stuff I have looked at to be honest!

At any rate- how are you and the new missus getting along =]

Reactions: Duncan893
#14 ·

Track prep engaged!

I have a 2 day event coming up next weekend and will be doing several changes to the front end/cockpit area that included new clip-ons, motion pro throttle, brembo MC and some spiegler brake lines.

I started off by rebalancing the wheels and removing the balance beads that the previous owner had done and went with the more conventional style tape weights.

I Should also mention the new zero gravity double bubble wind screen, the ebay special solo seat cowl (I'll share the story of fitment issues another time) and the new vortex 520 chain and sprocket kit. I dropped down one tooth in the front for a 15/43 setup. I also have a 16 and 17 tooth front sprocket so if I feel I need to re gear it for the track. I like the 15 front for the streets.

Side bar: Still haven't figured out how to get the pics to not post sideways :(

Attachments

#15 ·
Careful with the new clip-ons! I bought a set of Voodoo clip-ons (great quality) only to find out that they will not install with the snorkel covers in-place! As she looks "goofy" without them I opted to switch back to stock before I even finished the install. You can make them work... or use them with the ducts... but you will not be able to get close to full-lock in either direction!

#19 ·
Yes, mainly track bike. But I will ride it on the road every now and then.

Got some work done on it last night, installed the woodcraft clip-ons, motion pro throttle, and worked a little on placement of the MC and reservoir. Also mounted the rc51 kill/start switch. Next step is to wire it in.

A couple side notes...

- re-installing the throttle cables is a real PITA, took me almost an hour. Such a small area to work in. Having the right tools probably would have helped a little.
- switching to the rc51 kill switch is pretty straight forward. They use the same color wires so all you have to do is splice the matching colors back togther.
- I bought the woodcraft reservoir mount to help keep everything nice and tidy and looking good. The only problem is the brembo reservoir has horizontal screw mount and the woodcraft mount was perpendicular, so I still had use the bracket, over all I think it turned out nice.

#20 ·
Upon installing the new brake lines i tried my best to drain out the old fluid, but when i did, it more slid out as a runny goo, wtf, not sure how the bike was even stopping before. i ended up taking the calipers apart, popping out the pistons and cleaning out the sludge build up. The lack of maintenance from the 2 previous owners is mind boggling.

Attachments

#21 ·
that sludge is impressive. im actually due on some caliper maintenance on my 954. curious, do you plan to reuse the seals or buy new ones? ill be honest, ive never taken apart a set of calipers. when you put the lines back on does that require a new banjo bolt crush washer?

thanks for the advice. im still drooling over all that gold suspension.... its looking great.

#22 ·
@954Kevin, If you go by the book, you should never re-use crush washers. But most of us have. I've gotten two or three uses before I don't trust them anymore. Had a used one leak plenty in my fuel line and once on the master brake cylinder. If you have to reuse them, try a light sanding with 320 or 400 grit to smooth out the indentations some.

#24 ·
So the last few days got kinda hectic and i never got a chance to post up anything before heading out to the track this last weeknd. We did have a to make a few adjustment at the track, typical for being the first time out with this bike. Over all things went well.

I only have one real issue and that is the red light comes on with the FI lite up on the dash. I noticed it on day one after really starting to push it. Came in checked everything out, wasnt leaking anything and it all looked good, let the bike cool down before starting it up again and the red light was gone so i headed back out. It came on again later in the day, this time i just pulled off, shut the bike down for like 30sec and when i tirned it back on the light was gone. It only did it to once the 2nd day, i had just come off down pit lane, shut the bike off for like 2 min maybe to talk with another rider and then headed back out and was pushing it pretty good when the lite and FI came on. This time i contuinued riding the rest of the session (like 15 min) bike acted fine, no power loss of wierd throttle. Came in to the pits, cycled the ignition and the light was gone.

At this point im going to change out the plugs, probably pull the fuel pump and check the filter. Im not sure if this bike will store info and tell me why it was coming on if i hooked it up to a computer or somthing.

Here are a couple standing pics from the weekend, action shots will follow later this week.

Even got my dad out om the track on his beautiful vfr800

Attachments

#25 ·
awesome! the 954 does store fi codes. there is a jumper located under the seat you use to display and reset the stored codes. rather than type out the procedure ill just suggest you jump online and do a google search for "cbr 954 service manual pdf"

it can be found easy enough and contains all the information on how to check the codes and their meanings.

Reactions: unslow1
#27 ·
Finally getting around to posting some action pics.
Might be heading down to cali for a day in november, so bike is just sitting until i decided if im going or not. Excited to tear into this thing this winter and really fresh'n her up. I felt like i was kinda rushed when i took delivery of her just 2 weeks before i had to be on the track.

Attachments

#28 ·
Not much going on here in the winter months of the PNW. I did cut the akro can down, i think it came out pretty good, alsi got s fancy new exhaust hanger that i wrapped in 3m carbon. After xmas i will refreshing the ohlins and installing the proper springs for my weight. Also need to upgrade the pc3, havent decided yet if i wanna just install the pc3R my buddy has or go the bazzaz route.

Better pictures will come when i get a chance to get her outside.

I also picked up this project, 04 1krr .....

It will be a full time track bike. I will still ride the 54 at the track, but will leave it in street trim.

Attachments

#29 ·
Finally got the marvic wheels mounted. Took alittle longer due to a powdercoating issue, but all is good now. Wieght saving wasnt as much as i thought it would be. Only 1lb in the front, 4 in the rear. Alot of the weight savings in the rear is in the cush drive setup, the hinda stuff is pretty bulky.

Next up is a better rearsets and re-doing the ohlins, going to upgrade the valving and get the proper springs for my wieght.

Attachments

#32 ·
Off season is finally over, first track day is this next weekend. Some big off season changes included swapping out the black frame a sandblasted silve one, along with the upper triple, upper fairing stay and some small fairing brackets. Full emissions delete with block off plates and samco hoses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.