When you buy gear, do you buy brand? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Riding Gear / Luggage Discussion of Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Leathers, Jackets, Pants, Back Protectors, Earplugs, Tank Bags, Tail Bags, Saddlebags, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 01-02-2013, 1:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

When you buy gear, do you buy brand?

So I'm shopping for gear after getting my bike.

To say there's "lots of gear out there" is a ridiculous understatement. It seems that there's almost an infinite supply of gear from a wide variety of manufacturers, tailored for every conceivable riding style. If you've been following my posts, you know I'm an old bastard who's returning to two-wheeled life after a decade-and-a-half of cagerhood.

"Back in MY day, we didn't have no fancy jackets, boots an' gloves! We stuck ah leathah football helmet on ouah heads an' some goggles, AN' WE LIKED IT!!"

He actually has more hair than I do.

Anyway, so I am confronted with a wide array of manufacturers. When you guys buy gear, do you buy down their product line, do you mix and match, or do you look for what's on sale?

"When you look down the road, it seems to never end, but you better believe it does."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-02-2013, 1:43 PM

Reputation Power: 22

Re: When you buy gear, do you buy brand?

I weigh cost vs. brand reputation/quality.
I love Dianese products but it's hard for me to justify paying $500 for one of their riding jackets when brands like Sedici, Bilt and such have equivalent jackets for $300 or less, with not much of a drop off in quality.
For example, I found a white Teknik Chicane racing suit for about $620. A comparable Dianese suit is going to cost well over $1000. They're both made of leather; I find it hard to believe that the Dianese has over $400 worth of better stitching, lining and such than the Teknik does.
I like: high quality stuff
I don't like: high quality stuff that is still over priced
post #3 of 27 Old 01-02-2013, 1:45 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOGeologist View Post
So I'm shopping for gear after getting my bike.

To say there's "lots of gear out there" is a ridiculous understatement. It seems that there's almost an infinite supply of gear from a wide variety of manufacturers, tailored for every conceivable riding style. If you've been following my posts, you know I'm an old bastard who's returning to two-wheeled life after a decade-and-a-half of cagerhood.

"Back in MY day, we didn't have no fancy jackets, boots an' gloves! We stuck ah leathah football helmet on ouah heads an' some goggles, AN' WE LIKED IT!!"

He actually has more hair than I do.

Anyway, so I am confronted with a wide array of manufacturers. When you guys buy gear, do you buy down their product line, do you mix and match, or do you look for what's on sale?

I try lots of stuff until I decide which I prefer, then I tend to stay with those until I stumble across something that suits my needs better.
Brands generally don't mean anything to me.
I spend a lot of my time in my riding gear so I prefer Sidi boots and HJC lids specifically, but for leather and body armour there are several brands I would consider, as many of them are good without being as "individual" as your boots and lids. Your boots need to be comfortable for _you_ otherwise you won't wear them. Your lids need to work for _you_ under the specific conditions you ride and on _your_ bikes, especially when it comes to wind noise and buffetting.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 01-02-2013, 2:15 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportbike_Mike View Post
I weigh cost vs. brand reputation/quality.
I love Dianese products but it's hard for me to justify paying $500 for one of their riding jackets when brands like Sedici, Bilt and such have equivalent jackets for $300 or less, with not much of a drop off in quality.
For example, I found a white Teknik Chicane racing suit for about $620. A comparable Dianese suit is going to cost well over $1000. They're both made of leather; I find it hard to believe that the Dianese has over $400 worth of better stitching, lining and such than the Teknik does.
I like: high quality stuff
I don't like: high quality stuff that is still over priced

Well stated, and usually set by how much they're paying top-tier racers to wear their logos.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 27 Old 01-02-2013, 2:21 PM

Reputation Power: 59

Then what is Sidi? I know they make high quality gear, but I dont know if most people are willing to spend $600 on a pair of boots. If I hadnt received cost for mine, I wouldnt have bought them.

I will agree that the main brands cost more because of the racing teams. Still wont stop me from buying a Dianese suit one of these days.

James Taylor
post #6 of 27 Old 01-02-2013, 2:56 PM

Reputation Power: 162

I do what Bladeracer does. I try everything and buy the item that fits my needs. I am not cheap but if I have the choice between 2 different companies with the same quality item I usually go for the cheaper one.

Also, I have to admit, not every helmet fits me perfect and I favor ICON helmets exactly for this reason. I tried cheaper and more expensive ones but over time ICON helmets gave me the best comfort.

As for boots, if available I try to find last year's models for a much reduced price.

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici"
post #7 of 27 Old 01-02-2013, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazed View Post
Then what is Sidi? I know they make high quality gear, but I dont know if most people are willing to spend $600 on a pair of boots. If I hadnt received cost for mine, I wouldnt have bought them.
They make gear for mountain biking too. The shoes that attach to my XC bike's clipless pedals are Sidi. I paid about $90 for them which is a really good price, within the clipless pedal shoe realm.

Quote:
I will agree that the main brands cost more because of the racing teams. Still wont stop me from buying a Dianese suit one of these days.
It will stop me in a heartbeat, unless it's on sale somewhere.
I'll take the money I save and go buy better tires.
post #8 of 27 Old 01-02-2013, 4:44 PM

Tires for a bike are nothing compared to a car.. Good tires are cheap in comparison haha.

I paid $400 for $600 sidis.. Size to small, and I absolutely love them.. I would spend $600 on them now if I had to replace.

I know they make Shoes for pedal bikes as well.. I paid $100 for the nikes I have.. They do okay, maybe next time I will buy sidi

James Taylor
post #9 of 27 Old 01-02-2013, 7:20 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:

Sure they're an expensive boot, but I've never found a cheaper boot offering the same level of comfort and protection, if I do find something I'd be changing in an instant :-)
I have walked literally hundreds of miles in my Sidi Vertebra's and Vertigo's with no discomfort.

post #10 of 27 Old 01-02-2013, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Tires for a bike are nothing compared to a car.. Good tires are cheap in comparison haha.
Unless you have a superformance car like the 2005 STi I had, off-brands are just as good as name brands.
Two tires for my 954 will cost about $100 more than four tires for my 2001 Accord. I buy off-brand tires at a ma and pa shop for my Accord; of which four will cost me all of $260 out the door. LOL...find me a bike shop that will sell me two Michelin Pilots AND mount them for $260. Having one mounted on the back only will cost at least $200.

Quote:
I know they make Shoes for pedal bikes as well.. I paid $100 for the nikes I have.. They do okay, maybe next time I will buy sidi
Shimano and Pearl Izumi also make clipless pedal shoes. You can't go wrong with either.
Nowadays however, I mainly freeride, slopestyle and a bit of downhill so I run flat pedals with Five Ten shoes, though on a slopestyle bike.
post #11 of 27 Old 01-02-2013, 7:39 PM

Reputation Power: 55

Quote:

I got my Vortice Airs for like $440 delivered or something. From Italy surprisingly

\brand absolutely matters to me. When it comes to protection, I don't wanna experiment. I wear Icon helmets, as I love how they fit and the ventilation in AZ is necessary. All of my jackets have been Scorpion. As they fit me better than any other quality brand (2XT) and are cheaper on top of it. My gloves have all been alpinestars, though I wouldn't mind another brand, I like their look most, but I have been looking at a couple other brands. The only thing I'm really flexible on is riding jeans. Fit and comfort > reputation. Never tested any, but my AGV and Sliders brand pairs have all been very comfortable, and fit very well being tall and thin. I haven't even ridden today and I'm wearing my AGVs now, super comfortable
post #12 of 27 Old 01-02-2013, 7:52 PM

Well considering my car is electronically limited to 250km/h... I think I need some decent tires for it.. Especially once I change out my 2.93 differential for a 3.91LSD.

I have not been riding any pedal bikes in a long time I need to repair/replace the rear shock on my freeride bike before I do that. Although I, like you, run platform pedals.

Bladeracer, I cant really say that I had looked at anything other then sidi.. I have seen what an older pair can withstand.Multiple crashes, few parts replaced but still perfect. I have also walked quite a bit in my boots, I will admit that they are a little tough on the toes because of my buying them a size small. I prefer them to be a touch small, as on the bike I do not notice them, and I can feel anything and everything. I paid $400 on the nose for my Vortice, and as said.. The store wanted just over $600 for the pair.

James Taylor
post #13 of 27 Old 01-02-2013, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

I would agree with most guys, its really trial and error on most gear... I have at least 5 jackets and 3 helmets, countless amounts of gloves and misc. equipment. All of different brands. I still find more brands out there that i like and that i would like to try so its pretty much at your preference...

Out of all my helmets, My scorpion was my best helmet, best fitting and best looking over all. HJC is good but doesn't fit as comfortable, and a Vega but its was really just for my GF but i use it every now and then. Plus my buddy went down on his R1 doing 90mph nearly breaking 30 bones in his body but his helmet saved his life. All our friends and hospital staff after the accident signed the helmet, took a picture and sent a thank you letter to scorpion for building a quality product. They sent a get well letter back with a voucher for a free helmet courtesy of scorpion USA. I think a scorpion would be my ONLY helmet of choice from now on.

I have many jackets, but really because i ride year round so it varies by weather. AlpineStars for the summer, looks great, fits great, keeps me cool. Joe Rocket and a Honda Repsol for the in between seasons, and a Cordura for when it gets real cold. I have a plain leather jacket too but it doesn't have much padding.

Gloves, i mostly ride with dirtbike gloves cuz it is comfortable and flexable but i have about 10 different pairs of all kinds. And boots, I have yet to get a decent pair
post #14 of 27 Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 PM

Reputation Power: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyknick1015 View Post
my buddy went down on his R1 doing 90mph nearly breaking 30 bones in his body but his helmet saved his life. All our friends and hospital staff after the accident signed the helmet, took a picture and sent a thank you letter to scorpion for building a quality product. They sent a get well letter back with a voucher for a free helmet courtesy of scorpion USA. I think a scorpion would be my ONLY helmet of choice from now on.
that's awesome. I mean, it sucks your buddy got busted up, but it's great to hear his helmet kept him with us. And hearing that Scorpion gave him a new helmet for sharing his story is great. I love when a company goes above and beyond what is necessary. I love their jackets, I'm glad to support such a company. Will give their helmets another good look when I'm in the market again. But Icons really do fit me so well
post #15 of 27 Old 01-03-2013, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

Yeah, some companies are usually good about things like that depending on how your story is. the entire busted helmet was signed by a lot of people. plus my buddy was back out on a bike again with in 3 months with bruised ribs, and screws in his hands because he just loves to ride. and he started rebuilding the bike he destroyed. Broke the frame into 6 pieces

some people fall hard and never get back out on the horse... my buddy i just one who always wants to ride no matter what

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Riding Gear / Luggage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page