Advice by Tomorrow about an Arai!!??? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Riding Gear / Luggage Discussion of Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Leathers, Jackets, Pants, Back Protectors, Earplugs, Tank Bags, Tail Bags, Saddlebags, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 01-21-2014, 9:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

Advice by Tomorrow about an Arai!!???

Stopped by a dealership about an hour and a half from me and they had an Arai Vector 2 in this design (below). I tried it on and it fit like a freaking glove. They have had it for a year and he said their rep came buy earlier today and told them to ship it back so they were planning on doing it tomorrow. He said he could give me a one time price of $500 out the door so basically $80 off and excluding tax.

I already have a pretty nice helmet, Shark Speed R, but the fit is nowhere near this Arai. A buddy wants to buy the Shark from me for $250.

Okay, so I currently do not have a job and do not have much money to spend on anything. The helmet looked in good shape, but the chin vent felt kind of flimsy... The visor has vents..?? But everything else seemed pretty nice...

Any opinions on this? Would it be worth the wait to comfortably purchase for $80 more or do you think this is a deal to good to pass. Is the Arai Vector 2 really that great of a helmet for this kind of money???

Thanks guys..
Attached Thumbnails
arai_Vector_2_Nakasuga2_detail_2_600.jpg‎   arai_Vector_2_Nakasuga2_detail_1_600.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-21-2014, 10:03 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Re: Advice by Tomorrow about an Arai!!???

I wear Arai, not this model but it looks kick ass. Your dealer should be able to get you in it for less then 15% off under these circumstances. I'm thinking 30%, but you do want to keep the dealer in business. As far as worth it enough to justify not feeding your kids for a month. I don't think so. There will be another helmet available when your ready. Tell the supplier to make your dealer an offer you can't say no to, then you be the judge.
post #3 of 22 Old 01-22-2014, 9:36 AM

Reputation Power: 290

Send a message via MSN to setanta

Check the date of his post Erion, probably the children have died of hunger by now

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 01-22-2014, 9:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by setanta View Post
Check the date of his post Erion, probably the children have died of hunger by now
No children.... (Thank god)

I didn't go through with it. I am one of those people that plan and research everything I get very excessively and it was just too much of an impulsive decision to go through with it.

I think I will get myself an Arai eventually. It felt incredible on the noggin.

Just didn't want to make a dumb decision either way..
post #5 of 22 Old 01-22-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper View Post
No children.... (Thank god)

I didn't go through with it. I am one of those people that plan and research everything I get very excessively and it was just too much of an impulsive decision to go through with it.

I think I will get myself an Arai eventually. It felt incredible on the noggin.

Just didn't want to make a dumb decision either way..
Really nice helmets but I think you could have got a much better deal as the guy couldnt shift it.
HJC are nice too and a lot cheaper, I thoroughly tested the carbon one, it did me proud

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #6 of 22 Old 01-22-2014, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

That's once sweet looking lid. Same price range as the Arai's. I had about 400 to spend when I was looking and ended up with a Shark Speed R. Pretty nice helmet (especially visor) but was blown away with the fit of the Arai. Learned the lesson that you should always try a helmet on before you buy.

I know for a fact nobody in my area has any helmets over 200 dollars and the place that had the Arai only had one and it had been sitting for a year. Need to find a place to try that HJC Carbon. That looks Awesome!!

I'm sorry to hear it was tested, but glad it works well!!
post #7 of 22 Old 01-22-2014, 1:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

I wear an Aria Vector 2. It's the DNA model.
It's a great helmet!!! I've had mine now for about 8 months. You'll love those little eyebrow vents. Actually the entire helmet is vented very good. Most of the pads are easily removable and washable. (I've had mine out- they're really easy) And the fit is nothing less than heavenly! Comfortable even after several hours of wearing.
I paid a little less than $500 shipped to my door.
When you're ready to purchase, call the guys at Riders Discount, ask for Nathan.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-22-2014, 3:25 PM

Quote:
That's once sweet looking lid. Same price range as the Arai's. I had about 400 to spend when I was looking and ended up with a Shark Speed R. Pretty nice helmet (especially visor) but was blown away with the fit of the Arai. Learned the lesson that you should always try a helmet on before you buy.

I know for a fact nobody in my area has any helmets over 200 dollars and the place that had the Arai only had one and it had been sitting for a year. Need to find a place to try that HJC Carbon. That looks Awesome!!

I'm sorry to hear it was tested, but glad it works well!!
Yeah its nice and light and fairly quiet too.
Yup poor helmet, bike was a right off and so were the leathers, thankfully I was wearing a back protector

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #9 of 22 Old 01-22-2014, 4:29 PM

Reputation Power: 34

I had an Arai Astro J a few years back. The fit is excellent but the visor mechanism and all the plastic vents are just garbage of the worst kind - expensive garbage.

My current lid is an AGV GP-Tech, which has just had its 5th birthday so is due replacement. It has been a pleasure to wear, and held up to the use well. The skirt is looking tatty where it rubs on my jacket collar, but then again I bought mine in the weeks after it was released, and they redesigned the skirt not long after. The lid has now been superseded, since Rossi also needed a new one

My wife just recently bought the HJC RPHA-10 (good enough for Ben Spiess) and it is astoundingly light, fits beautifully, and just oozes quality. I have reports that the top vents can whistle at certain speeds, though. Won Motorrad's helmet test in 2010: HJC R-PHA 10 - Alles über Motorradhelme - Motorradhelme: Test, Kaufberatung, ECE-Norm, Kommunikation - MOTORRAD (if you read German)

My next lid might actually be a Suomy MX Tourer, since I ride an Adv type bike now and like the look of it, the lightness, the peak and the internal sun visor. They are way light than the equivalent Arai or Shoei, which for me is very important. Just need to try one on is all...

NEVER buy a helmet without trying it on.
post #10 of 22 Old 01-22-2014, 6:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Do you have a Cycle Gear anywhere near you? That's where to go, they have every major brand, and a great range of models within a certain brand.
If you're going to try on helmets, just remember, that helmet has most likely been on several other peoples heads too. Don't just plop it on your head without looking inside first.
post #11 of 22 Old 01-22-2014, 7:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorti View Post
I had an Arai Astro J a few years back. The fit is excellent but the visor mechanism and all the plastic vents are just garbage of the worst kind - expensive garbage.
That's how this Arai was. The chin vent was all sorts off wiggly and seemed very cheap. I thought this was just this helmet being a display for over a year. Is this a typical thing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Do you have a Cycle Gear anywhere near you? That's where to go, they have every major brand, and a great range of models within a certain brand.
If you're going to try on helmets, just remember, that helmet has most likely been on several other peoples heads too. Don't just plop it on your head without looking inside first.
The closest Cycle Gear is about 117 miles away. Would be a nice trip for the summer to check out some sweet gear for a day.

I always check before hand. It creeps me out to think that other people had their face in there....
post #12 of 22 Old 01-22-2014, 8:37 PM

Quote:
01/21/2014? Setanta, are you holding out on the good stuff or did I miss something ?
post #13 of 22 Old 01-22-2014, 8:39 PM

Quote:
That's how this Arai was. The chin vent was all sorts off wiggly and seemed very cheap. I thought this was just this helmet being a display for over a year. Is this a typical thing??

The closest Cycle Gear is about 117 miles away. Would be a nice trip for the summer to check out some sweet gear for a day.

I always check before hand. It creeps me out to think that other people had their face in there....
Forget about their face, what about Lice! That would be a nightmare.
post #14 of 22 Old 01-22-2014, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERION929 View Post
01/21/2014? Setanta, are you holding out on the good stuff or did I miss something ?

Yup your right when I looked at it earlier I read dec 13.......should have gone to specsavers

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #15 of 22 Old 01-22-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Yup your right when I looked at it earlier I read dec 13.......should have gone to specsavers
That puts my mind at ease, I thought a was loosing it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Riding Gear / Luggage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page