what do you guys think of this eBay honda riding jacket? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Riding Gear / Luggage Discussion of Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Leathers, Jackets, Pants, Back Protectors, Earplugs, Tank Bags, Tail Bags, Saddlebags, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 04-29-2014, 9:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

what do you guys think of this eBay honda riding jacket?

Mens Armored Padded Mesh Sport Riding Motorcycle Jacket for Honda Rider | eBay

Should it be avoided, or is it good? anyone know from experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 05-02-2014, 9:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: what do you guys think of this eBay honda riding jacket?

It looks sharp, but it's nylon and the pads don't look like they'd offer much, if any, support. It'd be a good summer jacket, but it's hard to beat leathers if you'd ever go down.
post #3 of 34 Old 05-02-2014, 9:24 PM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

I was looking at a full suit on Ebay, but I'm tentative to buy something I haven't seen or tried on. My local shop has 3 or 4 armored textile summer weight jackets on their shelves ( it hits over 100 degrees here) for $80-$120. I'll bet yours does too. They probably won't say "Honda" but at least you'll know what your buying. I'd hope that if it's officially licensed by Honda that the quality would be acceptable, at least it'll fair better than a tee shirt.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 05-03-2014, 12:01 AM
Global Moderator

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj1200rj View Post
I was looking at a full suit on Ebay, but I'm tentative to buy something I haven't seen or tried on. My local shop has 3 or 4 armored textile summer weight jackets on their shelves ( it hits over 100 degrees here) for $80-$120. I'll bet yours does too. They probably won't say "Honda" but at least you'll know what your buying. I'd hope that if it's officially licensed by Honda that the quality would be acceptable, at least it'll fair better than a tee shirt.

It's from China, so definitely not a licenced product :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 34 Old 05-03-2014, 1:12 AM

Reputation Power: 0

In the description of the product in eBay it sais that it is 100% pure nylon.So I would prefer a leather or a cordura jacket for riding:-)

Motorcycle is like woman...If you don't respect her...She will knock you down
post #6 of 34 Old 05-03-2014, 7:05 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

I would stick with a trusted manufacturer Joe Rocket, Icon ect. at least you know what you are getting
post #7 of 34 Old 05-03-2014, 7:11 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikk View Post
I would stick with a trusted manufacturer Joe Rocket, Icon ect. at least you know what you are getting

I wouldn't bet on that, Joe Rocket stuff is made in Pakistan I think?
Don't know about Icon, but lots of brands are using the same stuff from the same factories as the unbranded stuff.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #8 of 34 Old 05-03-2014, 9:59 AM

Reputation Power: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
I wouldn't bet on that, Joe Rocket stuff is made in Pakistan I think?
Don't know about Icon, but lots of brands are using the same stuff from the same factories as the unbranded stuff.

JoeRocket! That's what I have and I love it. Good quality, pads would actually do something if I went down and I got it on Craigslist for $50 and it looks brand new! Well that was over a year ago, so it looks a little dirty now!
post #9 of 34 Old 05-03-2014, 10:15 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999BladeMan View Post
JoeRocket! That's what I have and I love it. Good quality, pads would actually do something if I went down and I got it on Craigslist for $50 and it looks brand new! Well that was over a year ago, so it looks a little dirty now!

Yep, I've been pretty impressed at the bang-for-buck of Pakistani leathers.

post #10 of 34 Old 05-04-2014, 8:16 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

your probably very right BR. I don't know where the stuff is made. I have been a paramedic for over 20 years and took care of a lot of riders on and off the track. I can say there is a big difference in how well the big name gear holds up over the no name. now that is not lab testing just what I have seen.
post #11 of 34 Old 05-04-2014, 9:03 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikk View Post
your probably very right BR. I don't know where the stuff is made. I have been a paramedic for over 20 years and took care of a lot of riders on and off the track. I can say there is a big difference in how well the big name gear holds up over the no name. now that is not lab testing just what I have seen.

I would agree with you to some degree, although not so much with name as price, if you spend more for your suit it's likely to withstand crashing better. A $3000 Kushitani race suit would certainly protect you better than a $300 Pakistani suit, but the $300 suit is far better than not wearing any leather at all. Basically, there are far more people surviving their crashes better simply because there is cheaper leather on the market.
I'm sure that any of the suit manufacturers would be more than happy to make you a suit to a higher spec if you ask for it, and pay the price.

It really lies with the rider as to how much they're willing to spend on their protection. There was a thread here recently from a guy that has been wearing the same lid for ten years, and that was secondhand when he got it. If somebody won't even spend the $100 or so required to protect their brain, they're unlikely to spend ten times that on protecting their organs and extremities :-)

post #12 of 34 Old 05-04-2014, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It really lies with the rider as to how much they're willing to spend on their protection. There was a thread here recently from a guy that has been wearing the same lid for ten years, and that was secondhand when he got it. If somebody won't even spend the $100 or so required to protect their brain, they're unlikely to spend ten times that on protecting their organs and extremities :-)

hey, hey, hey Blade, you're talking about me there!! And, in addition, you're not recalling correctly. The helmet I got secondhand with my first bike, and recently found out it was 10 years old and that helmets only have a safe lifespan of around 5 years. I've been riding for only 3 years, so I've been using it for just 3. It was not ignorance/carelessness on my behalf, nor reluctance to pay the "100 or so it requires to protect my brain", I just had no idea. Proof of that being that as soon as I found out, I went and shelled out over 1100 in 2 new helmets in the span of a week!
post #13 of 34 Old 05-04-2014, 12:42 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by giosoccer20 View Post
hey, hey, hey Blade, you're talking about me there!! The helmet I got secondhand with my first bike, and recently found out it was 10 years old and that helmets only have a safe lifespan of around 5 years. It was not ignorance/carelessness on my behalf, I just had no idea. Proof of that being that as soon as I found out, I went and shelled out over 1100 in 2 new helmets in the span of a week!

I wasn't having a dig at you for it, just an example that was fresh in my mind :-)
Ummm..."ignorance" and "had no idea" are the same thing ;-)

Is the price of the lids you chose the reason you're looking at an $80 jacket though?

post #14 of 34 Old 05-04-2014, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I wasn't having a dig at you for it, just an example that was fresh in my mind :-)
Ummm..."ignorance" and "had no idea" are the same thing ;-)

Is the price of the lids you chose the reason you're looking at an $80 jacket though?
Yes I meant I just wasn't aware of that fact regarding helmets, but the way you said it seemed to have a negative connotation ("if somebody won't even spend the $100 or so required to protect their brain....etc etc"). Money is hard earned for me (as well as for the majority of people) + my lack of knowledge of helmet facts = my wearing of a 10 y/o helmet, not my reluctance to pay for protection. Anywayssss, just thought I'd clear that up for ya

and no that's not why I looked at the Honda jacket specifically. I just liked the look of that jacket, and was wondering what the difference is between the cheap ones and good ones. I bought myself a new icon stunt jacket and upgraded the back armor yesterday.

I know you can't put a price on safety, but my pockets are finite in depth. That's why I chose to protect my head with top notch gear and get a synthetic jacket instead of full leather. So yes, I chose to spend the majority of my budget on protecting my head, and couldn't afford an expensive leather jacket/pants. But, in doing so, I believe I did the right thing.

cheers

Last edited by giosoccer20; 05-04-2014 at 1:03 PM.
post #15 of 34 Old 05-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by giosoccer20 View Post
hey, hey, hey Blade, you're talking about me there!! And, in addition, you're not recalling correctly. The helmet I got secondhand with my first bike, and recently found out it was 10 years old and that helmets only have a safe lifespan of around 5 years. I've been riding for only 3 years, so I've been using it for just 3. It was not ignorance/carelessness on my behalf, nor reluctance to pay the "100 or so it requires to protect my brain", I just had no idea. Proof of that being that as soon as I found out, I went and shelled out over 1100 in 2 new helmets in the span of a week!

Since you edited the post...
I checked and my recall is actually better than I thought.
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/gen...ml#post1162364
All you stated is the following:
"I'm used to my 10+ year old kbc size Large helmet which came with my second bike."
I agree though that I assumed that meant the lid had been used for 10+ years. You may have mentioned the extra information in another thread, but there's no clarification like that in the thread I referred to ;-)

It wasn't actually the ten-year-old lid that concerned me as much as the fact that it was secondhand and "came with the bike" instead of the result of buying a properly-fitting lid.

I don't think there's any specific use-by date for lids. Their usefulness is much more down to how they are treated and how well they fit. When it starts to get loose then it's time to replace the padding at least, and probably more cost-effective to simply replace it with a new lid.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Riding Gear / Luggage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page