racing suit fitment and brand questions - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Riding Gear / Luggage Discussion of Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Leathers, Jackets, Pants, Back Protectors, Earplugs, Tank Bags, Tail Bags, Saddlebags, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-06-2014, 8:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 6

racing suit fitment and brand questions

so I was able to finally try on a couple suits today and intend to purchase something in the next month. I am 5'7" and 175lbs and first tried on a Daiense 42/52 which I had to really force on myself. Once on it felt like it was made for someone a little shorter than myself and my large calf's would not allow me to zip the legs down so I could not go with that suit. Next I tried on a Sedici 44/54 which went on easy and fit snug on my legs and my body with a back protector but my arms were looser. I could grab a bit of loose leather on my arms but not on my legs or body at all.

I have heard that suits are supposed to be a pain to get on but the 44 felt comfortable and snug on most my body. is it acceptable to have it a little loose in the arms? or should I try to find a 42 that my legs can fit in that squeezes my body and let it break in? the 42 was a bit of a struggle to get on and I'm not sure how well it would fit with a back protector in since I only tried the 44 with the protector.

I also imagine different brands fit different in areas and the sales guy said that Sedici leathers where maybe a bit big in the arms or maybe my arms are just too wimpy

I'm not decided in what leathers to get yet just looking at sizing. but new or slightly used I need to be in a reasonable price range of around or below 700 since its my first set of leathers. I have to buy all new gear so I may end up going with the more affordable suit since I have a lot to buy

Last edited by mprhead5; 09-06-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-07-2014, 3:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Re: racing suit fitment and brand questions

Only thing I can say is, buy the best you can afford. I only buy and use RS Taichi. I have been track only since 1999, and have wrecked a lot. I have wrecked in other brand suits, but none have ever been as good as my RS Taichis. This is just my choice, but all I can add is, buy high end once and not cheap no name crap twice...
post #3 of 8 Old 09-07-2014, 9:24 AM Thread Starter

Having some trouble qualifying the expense I guess. I hear trash talk about the cyclegear brands but I also hear that the Sedici crashes wellfrom the few reports I have read. I would like a Alpine Stars Motegi suit but at 800 bucks its a lot of money and I'm having a hard time committing. I do intend to use the suit for track days as often as I can but after a 400 dollar helmet, 150 in gloves, 15 for a back protector then an undersuit then boots and finally a suit its all adding up really fast not to include the cost of new tires and fluids and brake pads for my 929 to get my at willow springs before the end of October. I'm trying to look around and see if I can pick up the motegi tax free and at a bit of a discount. I may be able to get it for 720 which would leave some more space for a back protector and other bits. Boots I may have to buy local since I have a wide intermediate size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-08-2014, 12:13 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Try Craigslist. Sounds like you are going to ride in So. Calif.. There are plenty of good used Alpinestars suits on Craigslist in So. Cal.. I know because I have bought a couple. Find your size at a local dealer and then make a deal over the phone with a Craigslist seller. Works for me. Good luck.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-17-2014, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

I ended up getting a 44/54 alpine star Motegi 1 piece suit. It fits snug but just right. I think it should break in to be perfect. Really happy I went with the Alpinestar. the quality of the suit is amazing and it has great features to keep me cool out here in the desert. got it for a good deal too with free shipping and 10% off. I got the bionic race back protector and base layers too along with some cortech latigo airs. the boots are tough to zip up all the way because of my calf but otherwise are perfect. now I'm ready for the track
post #6 of 8 Old 09-18-2014, 7:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Nice, nothing left but to go have a blast at the track.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-21-2014, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

did a 4 hour ride in the gear today and the suit feel good. Flows a lot of air as do the boots. the back protector was a little uncomfortable but that's probably just my lower back hating being on a sport bike for more than 30 minutes. having protection on definitely makes me feel more confident but speeds where low because I was riding with my cruiser buddy today.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-21-2014, 1:32 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 101

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprhead5 View Post
did a 4 hour ride in the gear today and the suit feel good. Flows a lot of air as do the boots. the back protector was a little uncomfortable but that's probably just my lower back hating being on a sport bike for more than 30 minutes. having protection on definitely makes me feel more confident but speeds where low because I was riding with my cruiser buddy today.
I have the Cortech boots, as well as their full race suit. First few rides in both were very satisfactory. I was out the other day in the gear and as a youngin' walked away from his school bus he gave me a look and and a thumbs up. Gotta love it.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Riding Gear / Luggage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page